Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply Language Learning - Oceania
why has no one else posted here?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm
Oceania has some of the most interesting languages in the world, and, unfortunately, most of them are near extinction.

Australian languages have one of the most phonological systems in the world. Many languages, such as Nhangu, have 6 different nasal consonants. English only has 3.
They also have more lateral approximants than most languages. And tend to have no fricatives.

So why has no one posted here?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:52 am
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of any Oceanic langauge; if I did, I would post here.
On that note, we also have no members who have any knowledge (either that, or they just decided not to post, for whatever reason).
I would be eager to read about them, but I can't really give any input on it until there are posts. :{

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:12 pm
Shizuka Mizu
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of any Oceanic langauge; if I did, I would post here.
On that note, we also have no members who have any knowledge (either that, or they just decided not to post, for whatever reason).
I would be eager to read about them, but I can't really give any input on it until there are posts. :{

if you want to read about them, you can download a 500 page paper on Warlpiri from here.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 pm
zhiliolia
Shizuka Mizu

if you want to read about them, you can download a 500 page paper on Warlpiri from here.

I will read about it!
Multas Gratias ago. ;}

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Language Learning - Oceania

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash