Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[Q] Riddle of Maximus the Sphinx [Crit me, please!]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm
AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

Name: Maximus
Nicknames: Max

Faction: Monster
Race: Sphinx, Grecian species - You know, the ones who tell riddles and kill you if you flunk, like the one from Oedipus Rex (Though... Not so much on the killing part for Max)

Natural Ability: Riddle Me This - Like any Grecian Sphinx, Maximus will tell riddles. He's not always conscious of doing it...

Personality: Maximus is out to frustrate. As riddle-asking comes natural to his sub-race of Sphinx, he does his best to stump others. Sometimes this is purely for the fun of it, other times it's to get out of things while he makes the other person think and stop paying attention so he can slip away.

If there's another thing he loves, it's spicy foods. Curry rice? He'd hit that up so fast, there'd be nothing left. Which leads into him enjoying getting others to try his food and laughing as they burn their mouths... He's often seen with a pocket full of the Halloween Town equivelent of Atomic Fireballs, and one in his mouth.

Underneath it all, Max has worries. His family has scared humans for centuries in Greece, but while his parents are more 'typical' colors for Sphinx, he's worried that he'll be a failure at scaring because he's, as his brother put it, 'a white freak of nature.' Because of this, he doubts his abilities.

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy? His parents, like Max, are worried that he won't be good at scaring people, but not because he's pale. They've sent him to Amityville in hopes that he'll be able to learn how to use this to his advantage instead of doubting himself so much.

FEAR Ability: Doom Riddle - In a combat situation, Maximus will ask a riddle designed to stump someone so long, he can either attempt to win the fight or run away if he's losing.

Physical Description:

Eye Colour: Blue - The flat ref will show that best
Hair Colour/Style: Kind of mop-ish... It's white, just solid white, both on his head and his tail tuft.
Skin Colour: Well, his fur is white.. Not sure on his skin... Should we shave him and find out?
Clothing Style/Colours: Shirt - Black with a skull on it - Like his pants, nothing ever really jumped out and said "THIS THIS!", so the artist can have fun with just how the skull looks!
Pants - The artist can have fun with this one, really. I never saw anything that jumped out at me, so I guess based on his shirt or something? Or whatever the artist ends up liking
Other - Max isn't the type to wear shoes, so...

Extra: Special features... Lion ears, a human-shaped nose with a feline nose style on the end(Does that make sense?), lion tail, wings... Lion-like teeth... He'd have a scowl on his face. Of special note is that his hands would always have five digits - Four fingers and a thumb - while his feet will only have four digits. As for his wings, he's rather scrawny, so his wings only LOOK big on him, because they'd be about the right size if he bulked up(Either with muscle or just got lazy and fat).
References: Head sketches] Foot sketches Hand sketches
(I could never get him to look right full-body, so you get pieces of everything; Also, the flat colors on the center head pretty much applies for his whole body - His foot pads would be the same pink as his nose/inner ears)  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:12 pm
Weeee, random notes ~ Some for the curious, some for me

Grecian Sphinx: Best known from the story Oedipus Rex, Grecian Sphinx have been known to stop travelers on the road and prevent them from passing unless they answer a riddle. Should they fail to answer the riddle correctly, they kill the traveler. If the traveler answers correctly, they are permitted to pass. Grecian Sphinx have moved away from the killing aspect in more recent times, preferring to scare humans away instead so they can come back and try again... And likely get a different riddle.

Popular depictions of Grecian Sphinx have pretty much always been female, but more males have begun to pop up in popular media, suggesting a female-dominated society. Physically, their torsos are human, while their lower halves are those of lions, with wings of eagles on their backs. Depending on the sphinx, they have either human arms or lion arms, and their tails may or may not have barbs on them.

Egyptian Sphinx: Like the Grecian Sphinx, the Egyptian Sphinx is part lion and part human, but lack wings. Only their head is human, too, the rest being lion. Quite often, they are depicted wearing a Pharaoh's headdress, and are usually shown as male.. Though as the statues are either sitting or laying down, it's rather hard to tell if it's male or female.

Because their statues are found in temples and tombs, and most famously in front of the Pyramids at Giza, Egyptian Sphinx could easily be associated with guarding and protection.

Maximus' family: Maximus has one older brother, four older sisters, and one younger sister. His father is an Egyptian Sphinx, his mother Grecian. His brother is an Egyptian Sphinx like their father, and his older sisters are Grecian. His parents, brothers, and sisters all have tawny coats and either brown or black hair and gold eyes, making Max an anomaly in the family. His brother mocks him for his paleness, his older sisters don't care either way, and his younger sister... Wishes she was an anomaly like Maximus. His parents, as mentioned, think he's missing a great deal of potential - When he was younger, they called him their little ghost, and his younger sister calls him her big ghostly brother.

Maximus as a full-body Sphinx: Maximus' form as a student isn't how he normally looks - For one, in a bipedal form, he's 100% covered in fur. In his quadrupedal form, because of his fur, he looks much more like he's a winged Egyptian Sphinx. His maternal grandfather claims he was much the same when he was younger, but eventually shed his body, neck, and face fur. Max worries that he'll never shed it.

When quadrupedal, he resembles an adolescent lion in that he has a mane that goes down his neck to his shoulders and some mane sprouting on his chest.  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:22 pm
-Dusts this off- Needa redo some stuff, started already... xd ;;  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:03 pm
-Hip-bumps- Ready for crit, I think heart  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

kuropeco

Dramatic Marshmallow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:18 am
Andranis

Hi there! C:

I love sphinxes btw! *U* Since I have a gryphon character myself, I like to think the two are distantly related. :'D

Nat Ability > This is totally fine, but actually seems like it could be pretty entertaining as a Nat Ability if it's just pushed a tiny bit more, since telling riddles is pretty commonplace! Maybe a few times during the day he can only speak in riddles? I know you said he's not always conscious of it, so maybe just play on that a little! C:

FEAR > Seems okay, but just make sure you pick one of the FEAR templates from here! This seems like it could maybe be The Chill - i.e. he tells a riddle, distracts his opponent, and in the meantime takes some time to rest, healing himself.

That's it for now! Lemme know if you have any more questions! C:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:35 pm
kuroopu
Andranis

Hi there! C:

I love sphinxes btw! *U* Since I have a gryphon character myself, I like to think the two are distantly related. :'D

Nat Ability > This is totally fine, but actually seems like it could be pretty entertaining as a Nat Ability if it's just pushed a tiny bit more, since telling riddles is pretty commonplace! Maybe a few times during the day he can only speak in riddles? I know you said he's not always conscious of it, so maybe just play on that a little! C:

FEAR > Seems okay, but just make sure you pick one of the FEAR templates from here! This seems like it could maybe be The Chill - i.e. he tells a riddle, distracts his opponent, and in the meantime takes some time to rest, healing himself.

That's it for now! Lemme know if you have any more questions! C:

You may need to translate the FEAR bit for me xd ; Lemme see if I can... Translate okay 8D;; Or that I'm understanding it correctly 8D;;

By picking one of the FEAR templates, do you mean, like... "Doom Riddle" would be a sub-class of something like The Chill, and if so, change the format of how it LOOKS, or put The Chill in the place of "Doom Riddle"?  

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50
{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items