Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Freesia Covenant

Back to Guilds

a guild for wicca and the branches of wicca,pagan ect 

Tags: wicca, coven, pagan, witch, clan 

Reply The Freesia Covenant
until next year:Ostara (forum temporally closed)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Damiana Freesia
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:28 am
This forum is for posting activities and recipes for Ostara anything else related to Ostara

what is Ostara: its basically a wiccan easter, its the celebration of the spring equinox on march 20th but the celebration starts march 9-22. ostara is the next full moon a time of fertility and increased births sacred to Eostre the saxon lunar goddess of fertility.

blessed be

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:34 am
heres a link to a fun Ostara website ^.^
Link: http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/angelline/ostara_recipes.htm  

Damiana Freesia
Crew

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 pm
As a Heathen, it always mildly agitates me to find different holidays also called "Ostara".

For example, why would Wiccans worship Eostre, or celebrate a holiday in Her name? Personally, I've always thought Eostre might be a local name for Iðunn. It would fit nicely with Her primary myth.

It's not the use of the word itself that bothers me, really, it's more the assumption that we celebrate the same holiday because it falls around the same time and has the same name.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:38 am
Im sorry it upsets you but this is a holiday i to fallow  

Damiana Freesia
Crew

Damiana Freesia
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:40 am
Sanguina Cruenta
As a Heathen, it always mildly agitates me to find different holidays also called "Ostara".

For example, why would Wiccans worship Eostre, or celebrate a holiday in Her name? Personally, I've always thought Eostre might be a local name for Iðunn. It would fit nicely with Her primary myth.

It's not the use of the word itself that bothers me, really, it's more the assumption that we celebrate the same holiday because it falls around the same time and has the same name.

we worship many goddesses Eostre represents fertility thats one of the reasons  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 pm
This is actually my first time celebrating any of the holidays (I came into the religion and practicing of Wicca a couple months back so I still don't have many supplies or anything) and I was just wondering what is it that's supposed to be done on the holiday? I've read some things but it's rather mixed.  

Okami_no_Tsuki_18

Damiana Freesia
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:43 pm
Okami_no_Tsuki_18
This is actually my first time celebrating any of the holidays (I came into the religion and practicing of Wicca a couple months back so I still don't have many supplies or anything) and I was just wondering what is it that's supposed to be done on the holiday? I've read some things but it's rather mixed.

During Ostara we spend time in nature to reflect and you may bake festive foods or do activities such as gardening or spending time in nature. you might also burn flower scented candles or incenses  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 am
Damiana Freesia

Like I say, it's not so much that you also call your holiday "Ostara", it's the assumption by other people that because our holidays have the same names, and fall at the same time, that they are the same holiday. whee  

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Damiana Freesia
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Damiana Freesia

Like I say, it's not so much that you also call your holiday "Ostara", it's the assumption by other people that because our holidays have the same names, and fall at the same time, that they are the same holiday. whee

that would be annoying kinda like when chritains assume im evil because i do witchcraft .-.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:12 pm
Some things I found about Celebrating Ostara are as follows,

If you make an Altar ~
~ The candles should be green, preferably a light green. (Scented ones are good too)
~Light incense (Like Jasmine)
~Decorate a circle with spring wildflowers.
~With either earthen-ware or wooden-ware, fill it with some seeds or place a large seed on the Altar.

Herbs~
~ Lily
~ Tansy
~ Lavender
~ Tarragon
~ Lovage
~ Lilac
~ Violets
~ Lemon
~Balm
~ Dogwood
~ Honey-suckle
~ Oakmoss
~ Orrisroot
~ Sunflower seeds
~ Rose-hips
~Oak
~ Elder
~willow
~crocus
~Daffodil
~Jonquil
~Tulip
~Broom
~ Meadowsweet
~ Acorn
~ Trefoil
~ Vervian
~Marjoram
~Thyme

Stones~
~ Clear-Quartz
~ Rose Quartz
~ Agate
~ Lapis Lazuli
~ Amazonite
~Garnet

Food~
~ Eggs
~ Spring Lamb
~ Cream and milk
~ Bake bread
~ Hot cross buns
~Spring Salads

To do~
~ Wear green
~ Traditional breakfast is a bun with eggs and ham.
~ Perform Blessing and planting of seeds for spring.
~ Make Natural Dyes from herbs, and then decorating the boiled eggs with them. They usually are coloured either favouring the Gods and Goddesses or qualities you seek for the year.
~ Consecrate the eggs with an Athame.
~ Make hot buns, and slashing an "X" on to their tops to honour the union of the Earth and Sun.
~ Make amulets out of Pysanky and krashanky
~ Toss crushed egg sells into the garden(s).
~ Light a purple or violet candle and carry it throughout the house following a chant to welcome the spring, and say farewell to the winter.  

Tabitha Twain
Vice Captain

Bashful Prophet

7,050 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Married 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50

athena- stefanie1995
Crew

Shy Sage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:38 am
Damiana Freesia
This forum is for posting activities and recipes for Ostara anything else related to Ostara

what is Ostara: its basically a wiccan easter, its the celebration of the spring equinox on march 21 but the celebration starts march 9-22. ostara is the next full moon a time of fertility and increased births sacred to Eostre the saxon lunar goddess of fertility.

blessed be

the equinox is on the 20th not the 21st  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm
edwards lover95
Damiana Freesia

what is Ostara: its basically a wiccan easter, its the celebration of the spring equinox on march 21 but the celebration starts march 9-22. ostara is the next full moon a time of fertility and increased births sacred to Eostre the saxon lunar goddess of fertility.

blessed be

the equinox is on the 20th not the 21st

It depends where you live. Here, the upcoming equinox is on the 21st. (The upcoming equinox is also the autumnal rather than the vernal but that's neither here nor there.)

I check times here. Now I look at it, though, we're (NZ) the only place that seems to have it falling on the 21st and it's just after midnight, so you may as well have been right 3nodding  

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

The Freesia Covenant

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas