Reply Kamen Rider heroes of the world
So, Kamen Rider Wizard

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Katsumi Daido

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 am
Figured I might as well say it, maybe start a discussion, or attempt to. Since we're nearing the halfway point. I've been keeping up with Wizard. But, when I watch it with my friends, we all agree that this show feels a little on the weak side. I find the character backstory slow, but the pacing of forms and the way they amplify the stakes too fast for the plots that they come up with.

I really like Wizard's design, Beast's design is great too. Their forms work, and I also like the personality traits that they gave them. But I feel like they're moving too fast in some aspects, and too slow in more important parts..

I find the side characters agreeable, though I feel there's a lot more that could be done to them. Rinko could use her police network a little more, even if she's supposed to do it in secret. and Shunpei could really drop the "tripping over nothing," thing that he has going. He's honest, but his goofiness seems to detract a little from what his role is. It's like, he's almost entirely for comedic purposes and serves almost no role. (unless the story revolves around him. I did like the Valkyrie arc, gave Shunpei the honest, yet clumsy fool who is just trying to do the right thing)

I'm going to continue to watch it, but it does concern me a little that we're 21 episodes in, and Wizard has 8 forms and a super form, Beast has effectively 5 (base plus each animal form) But it doesn't seem like they've really done anything to earn them, plus like Fourze who got new switches all the time and for the most part needed them exactly when he got them, Wizard is getting new spells in much the same way.

the Kaijin design is great. though I wish they looked just a little bit more like the mythological animal that they represent. It's a nice change of pace from making everything hyperstylized. These do look a bit more like suits than some kaijin in the past though. Overall I'm impressed with the suits though.

Mostly I just wish they'd explain a bit more so we can connect to the characters better.

I actually want people to disagree with me on some or all of these things as some help in explaining it. I really want to like this show, there's a lot that I like, but there's a few things that are really making it hard for me to enjoy the show like I feel I should.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am
well we always say that the idea they come up with for the next rider is a little odd but it always grows on us but lets hope the next one is better  

Kamen Rider G
Captain

Angelic Knight

inui takumi
Vice Captain

Thirteenth Rogue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am
Hey, Daido, Haven't seen you in a while around here. How was Chrsitmas for ya?

I disagree and agree, For ME personally, there is something about Wizard that appeals to my kid-at-heart nature and that's basically how I decided to attack this series for once. Granted, I never have gone into the deep analyses of any rider in the way you do (some might argue Faiz, but whatever), I'm not all for a "dumbed down" plot or anything like that, nor do I like any KR just because it's a KR but I do view Wizard as one of the better seasons. Mainly out of NOT seeking tons of explanation's.

The designs, I do think they are great as well. I like the multiple forms and even though it might be pushing overkill, I'm all for it this time. As far as Rinko, I consider her as more of a rookie (not literally but still semi-naïve) and probably not as savvy as she could be. Still a cool character.

I honestly like the distance we get from the characters. I don't find it to off putting, I know what you mean regarding the pacing and the plots though. Plots that tend to seem like they drag can always be a potential starting point for a future movie or special.

My 2 ¥ for now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm
Naw, I had high hopes for Wizard, I still do, we're only halfway through. I still expect it to do something to wow me. It's doing so much right that I can't write it off for it's faults.

Christmas was meh, didn't really get anything but tuition money.

I assume any holes that haven't been explained are either going to be explained in later episodes eventually or in additional media. So, there's always that. Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, and OOO (not all, just a few) had a steady progression of explaining things, I'm hoping that Wizard will eventually end up like that.

What about Shunpei though?

Mm, good point about the movies and specials. Hadn't really thought about that. Usually there's, what a Crossover movie around episode 15 ish, and then a movie around episode 45 (that introduces the next rider for a few minutes) then, depending on popularity additional movies. (I'm looking at you W and Den-O)  

Katsumi Daido

Agito Geist
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 pm
Hmm this is tough for me. I agree that sometimes I feel like they are just throwing out his power ups and rushing it, and not really focusing on the character developments as much as I would like. But I know they always save that stuff for the second half of the series, which I am really looking forward too, specially with beast and the chimera.
also I'm almost positive all these new powers are gonna serve a purpose toward the end, either in one ultimate spell.

But the part that really draws me in to Wizard, is the whole mysterious powers in the back running everything. you can never tell if its Wiseman, the White Wizard, or the mysterious new character from the last episode. who are playing the characters along. I'm really curious as to the role the white wizard is going to play (also I'm loving the way his drive says "now", and not "please".) blaugh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 pm
Oh yeah, forgot about that. plus the Mysterious Phantom(s) that have been giving Wizard his rings.

Are any of you still under the rumor that Wiseman and the White Wizard have a connection of some sort? The gems come from Wiseman. (or at least some do) Wiseman didn't seem concerned about the White Wizard's spy.
Yet Haruto isn't just straight up finding the gems, He's being given them.
Personally I hope that there's an overarching plot that the Sabbat requires Kamen Rider Wizard at full power to be successful. (like, I don't know, a full charged sacrifice or something) That's just my personal hope in that everything thus far has had a purpose even outside of what the Phantoms and Wizard are aware of.  

Kiriyama Ren

Agito Geist
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:01 am
Now this is just a theory, but I have a feeling wiseman was the phantom that awoke from the white wizard. He just happen to become to powerful and manifest in his own body.that would explain why he lacks some kind of beast motif (example. Like Dragon or chimera)?

Wouldn't it be a twist if wiseman was the human soul stuck in that body, and the white wizard was really the phantom?? eek
I know its a far stretch, but that would make one crazy plot.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:14 am
Agito Geist
Now this is just a theory, but I have a feeling wiseman was the phantom that awoke from the white wizard. He just happen to become to powerful and manifest in his own body.that would explain why he lacks some kind of beast motif (example. Like Dragon or chimera)?

Wouldn't it be a twist if wiseman was the human soul stuck in that body, and the white wizard was really the phantom?? eek
I know its a far stretch, but that would make one crazy plot.
That would be a bit of a stretch. since the White Wizard has only been helpful (if a little cryptic) I'm not too sure about that idea. It's an interesting idea, and would make for a strange way that the two are connected. (though another is that we haven't seen a human form for either the white wizard or Wiseman, there's technically nothing to prove that Wiseman literally isn't the White Wizard. And they do seem to have connections to one another. your theory is a little out there, but no more so than any other. We'll just need to wait.

All of the Phantoms inside Underworlds have been monstrous, but all of the Phantoms that exist from consuming their Gate have a humanoid appearance. I was under the impression that a Phantom is monstrous until it consumes it's gate, then it takes a more hybrid design, keeping the monstrous motif's, but adapting to a more human shape.

I really want more things to be explained, and since we're nearing the end of the first half, things should all start clicking together. (I hope, I really hope, I want a little less up in the air and a little more "this is how it works and you just didn't understand it.)  

Kiriyama Ren

Katsumi Daido

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 am
Does anyone have any hopes for Rinko and Shunpei to get more important roles than what they have now?

I sort of hope that Rinko gets a better role. Shunpey I think his role could improve just with removing the tripping and the overreacting the amount that he does.

I also hope that more Commander Phantoms appear. (If you hadn't noticed, Commander Phantoms have those golden shoulderpads, the kind of bird, snake, armor, ones with the eyes.)  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 pm
Hmmm I only watched until episode 17 so far, so I talk without knowing some things you all already watched.

Anyways, I agree pretty much with you (Katsumi Daido) about Ringo and Shunpei. Somehow I still don't get why they became regulars from the show. I mean, yes, the main character needs companions and both are great but there were other random characters on other episodes who were helped by Haruto the same way as these two but they didn't sticked around. I'm not sure if I'm explaining well my point.

As for the main plot, well, I'm going to be honest. I'm liking this series pretty much! And I do think that even if they're giving Haruto many powers now, the plot will twist at some point and will go to the main point (for me the main point is why this all happened and what exactly the eclipse was, etc). Hope I'm not wrong and the past will be explained well or I'll feel frustrated for sure xDD

I have no complaints about Haruto. I think he has charm as a main character and that the actor is portraying his role in a way that he will not deceive both his male and female fans. And of course the japanese kids either!

Maybe it's just me but, when I watched W and OOO I thought that even if Kamen Rider is made for kids those two had some mature contents there. Dunno why but I had that feeling, that those weren't exactly for kids. But while watching Wizard I always think that they think a lot about the japanese kids and that they try to tell him things. Maybe that's why this series may look a little bit less "interesting"?
Well, dunno, those are just random thoughts I'm having while writting this.

As a random note: while reading your discussion here I had the feeling that you guys like Ringo pretty much? How about Koyomi-chan?

tsubasanyan

Shy Browser

7,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Katsumi Daido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am
Yeah, it's true, it's a show that's made for children. I suppose I've just been spoiled from all of the previous shows having a lot more depth (it being a nice change of pace from the american shows made for children having no depth) I find that Wizard has the least depth so far, but we are still only halfway through. a lot can change.

I understand what you're point is (I think). you want to know why they stuck around, and not any of the others. I think they explained it sort of in their introductory episode arcs. Rinko finding Haruto as a way of protecting humans from Phantoms, and Shunpei (I have no clue why, but I keep spelling it Shunpey.... weird) because he's been fascinated with magic since a young child. I think it works out well that they were the first two that he saved since the story began.

I think, relatively, people like Koyomi, there's not as much questioning why she's around. Her personality isn't goofy, and she helps break up the fact that a lot of this stuff is quite serious, despite the comedic relief of Shunpei, and what I take as a somewhat unsure Rinko. (unsure as in not sure how to help more besides being a scout to find Phantoms)  
Kamen Rider heroes of the world

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games