Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Help Guild

Back to Guilds

Guild for Anime,Manga, Live-Action Asian Drama, Asian Music K-pop Recommendations & Discussions, ChatSpace,TV Series/WesternCartoons + More. 

Tags: Anime, Manga, Live Action Asian Drama, Discussion, Recommendation 

Reply ☆ Anime Reviews
Creative Criticism Review: .hack//SIGN

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Princess of the Crows

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm
Say the name .hack//SIGN anywhere and everyone either knows it or doesn't know what you're talking about. The A/M/C forums compare it to SAO all the time and people sigh whenever there's some online anime coming out because it and SAO will be mentioned. For my part, I cannot review Log Horizon and Sword Art Online because I lack the ability to watch them past clips or the first episode.

Spoiler Free:

The premise is probably what most remember about .hack//SIGN. It is about an online game known as "The World" created after a traumatic event destroyed everything and anything online in one day. Creating a system that allowed online access, the company CC Corp helped make the game in honor for recovering from the lack of processing capability.

Now, well established and running quite smoothly, the game has acquired a snag. A player is now unable to log out and people think it is an item made by the creator of the game, allowing this character to stay logged in. Who is Tsukasa's player and why him? The show seeks to find out this information.

Now, the first thing I will say is the pacing is well done. Every episode with exception to "Castle" has at least one piece of information you need. However, that makes it hard to watch out of order.

The second aspect is the music and voice acting. The cast is amazing for a show mostly about talking and often about mumbo jumbo you might not remember as well as they do. Music is also quite well done by Yuki Kajiura.

The visuals however, aren't the strong point. A lot of the scenes seem a bit re-used. However, given the backgrounds aren't what you're supposed to be watching it for, I'd think it'd easily forgotten at times.

And now we come to plot. The plot itself is well paced. However, since Bee Train is not known of action, there isn't a lot of fighting. Especially in the beginning. The plot is really based on talking and coming to conclusions by finding out more information each time.

I'd also liked to commend the characters. For all the important characters, they really flesh them out. Each of the main party gets at least one episode to themselves, and for Mimiru, there's two. However, some characters, like Helba, are often not so fleshed out. I suppose you could say it is a good or a bad thing, but it's good for the story in my opinion.

So, .hack//SIGN is a well paced intellectual mystery. However, the visuals often aren't that great or different. The game itself also isn't the sort of main aspect, so often it confuses more action oriented viewers.

8/10

Spoiler Area:

1. SAO is just like .hack!

Okay, I've seen this a lot. And with all the online game based anime, SAO has a bit more with .hack, then it ever had with...well, some others I've seen. However, the only similarities are the base idea of an online game. You should go towards .hack//GU in the R:2 era for more based things.

2. You're just a .hack fan.

I review this as a person using the anime as a diving board. This is the first thing a lot of .hack fans saw. On it's own, .hack//SIGN can at least be a competent anime. However, it is true that without the rest of the media, you might get lost.

3. There's no fighting!

I did state earlier a little about Bee Train. Now, Bee Train isn't known for action. Often the action in SIGN is kind of fractured and used only for when the plot needs it to happen. I don't really think the fighting is necessary, but it had happen.

4. Intellectual anime suck.

Talking is a an acquired taste. With a lack of action, the talking and the whole formation of the situation is necessary. Without the characters reacting and trying to solve the mystery, there wouldn't be much to the show. With a big mystery going into the very core of the world, it is an interesting conversation if you can stay with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:55 pm
lol emotional does not equal intellectual.
I wrote a scalding review of this review but deleted it because I knew it would come across as mean (though it was purely factual).
I basically mentioned what was said here but added a lot more too it.
One of your arguments why people might not like this show is due to its high "intellectual" level.
The main reason I didn't like .hack//sign however, was due to its lack of intelligence.
It's a basic sci-fi story filled with cliche Japanese drama. If you've ever invested time in the genre before, it won't be anything new and definitely not exciting.
By the end of the first episode it was pretty easy to guess what the "big mystery" was because in reality there's only a few possiblities as to what could've happened.
They even have to feed you false information to try and confuse the viewer (with minimal success) in an attempt to hide the obviously simple and straight storyline.
The one thing they do right lies in the setting and atmosphere. The world .hack// lays out for you is inspiring and amazing. Unfortunately that's where the fun ends.

Sorry, just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one.
I typically have agreed with you on reviews up until this point too.
Unintelligent characters, terrible motivation, unnecissarily slow pacing, extreme amounts of whining/wallowing, and a poorly written, executed and predictable premise all lend a hand in ruining an otherwise grand idea.
6/10
Even the simple philosophical lessons that could've easily been introduced throughout the story are pretty much non-existent and overshadowed by the main character's overly-angsty disposition. 90% of this show is spent on characters standing or sitting in place complaining about how they feel.
Just because you can relate or enjoy a show brimming with emotional characters doesn't mean it's well-written or incredibly deep.
Being emotional requires no learning, reasoning or thinking.
It's what dumb people think is smart because it's all they can enjoy because truely witty shows are too far out of their league.
.hack//sign requires no pre-existing or real world knowledge to view either (which a truely "intelligent" show does). As long as you know what video games and computers are, you're good to go. There's no technical talk or computer, math, physics, astronomy, psychology, philosophy, history, or medical skills required to watch/understand this show, nor does it utilize any of that knowledge within it. A child could've come up with this premise. So as far as "smarts" go, this show is definitely lacking.
Maybe for children and highschool dropouts this show could be considered "intelligent" or "fun and whimsical" but anything beyond that, just forget about it.
I'll concede this guild is oriented toward children since 18+ is off limits, but as an adult (22, currently attending my third year of college) I can say this show is nothing special.
Also, it has a very anti-climatic and disappointing ending.
(this is an extremely condensed version of what I previously posted)  

Wolfishly Sheepish

Friendly Elder

Princess of the Crows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:54 pm
It's your opinion. I believe everyone has the right to their opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm
Princess of the Crows
Most of that's actually factual.
The parts where I rate it and say I don't like it are the opinionated parts.
The rest are legitimate points.
So in summary, my feelings here are opinions while the statements and reasoning behind my feelings are truth.
You can't dismiss facts as a person's opinions because they conflict with your own opinions.
Dig?
I would've scored .hack//sign a 3/10 if I took my own feelings in account, but I don't because I value rationalizing and reason.  

Wolfishly Sheepish

Friendly Elder

Princess of the Crows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:46 pm
Wolfishly Sheepish
Princess of the Crows
So in summary, my feelings here are opinions while the statements and reasoning behind my feelings are truth.
You can't dismiss facts as a person's opinions because they conflict with your own opinions.
Dig?
I would've scored .hack//sign a 3/10 if I took my own feelings in account, but I don't because I value rationalizing and reason.

...Like I said, I respect other people have opinions. All ratings and reviews are based on opinion, no matter how many facts you use. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:51 pm
Princess of the Crows
Wolfishly Sheepish
Princess of the Crows
Dig?

...Like I said, I respect other people have opinions. All ratings and reviews are based on opinion, no matter how many facts you use. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your opinion.
No, there are people that make completely unbiased decisions. Unfortunately a lot of critics/reviewers are very biased, but that doesn't mean all.
I personally try to rely on facts as much as possible without my emotions getting involved.
I'll give something I don't like an 8/10 if it really deserves it.
The thesis of your argument "all ratings and reviews are based on opinion" is wrong.
"I like something" is a lot different and oftenly mistaken for a crtical review based upon fact.

but honestly, it's not important and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a jerk. I'm told I'm very blunt. I just wanted to let you know saying that people might not like it because of how "intellectual" it is is a ridiculous notion.  

Wolfishly Sheepish

Friendly Elder

☆ Anime Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces