Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Things have changed since 2005...and not for the better

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:04 pm
Quote:
When I first began cosplaying in 2005(2006, if you consider a convention stop the first real time), I was entering a world of Fine Arts expression. Now, 7-8 years later, well...it still is that, but not quite so.

I remember when cosplaying was where one could feel accepted. One could get tips for how to dye a wig or how to get that armor done. [The former being where I was T-minus 2 or so weeks till A-Kon 2006, struggling to dye a white wig with black Sharpie markers]

But, what has this hobby become? Honestly, it has become a mire where you get bullied for not being the right something. There's the war of "hand-mades" vs. "store boughts". There's cosplay idols that some might aspire to be, but might never be.

Yes, I'm still in it for the kicks and expression [Without this, I wouldn't have met most of the people on my friend list amongst other things], but what have we become? Cosplay is supposed to be for everyone. Cosplay is for us to just chill out as someone else, be it a rogue swordsperson or that fierce fighter straight out of the newest installment of the game that just came out or whoever we secretly we aspire to be, etc.

Is this what we have reduced ourselves to? To casting away who we are, in order to advance? What happened to being ourselves, no matter what skill level we are? To just hang around with friends, getting to know new ones, no matter if we hand crafted the entire look or bought it online? Or is cosplay on a slippery slope, headed southbound? These are things I'm asking myself, with 2014 on the horizon.

Used to be, we didn't have it this bad. Now, in the recent years, it's as if there is a war amongst our own selves. No longer can we just don on a costume, go to a convention for 3-4 days, load up on swag and possibly take in a concert. Sadly, it's gotten cliquish and I for one, despite enjoying the advances in things like technology and gaming, well...I want it to be like the early days.

That's my wish for the 2014 convention season. For us to just come together as one community, cast away our differences and actually be said community. Screw the labels, screw the whole 'oh it has to be homemade', etc. Whatever happened to letting all skill levels come together at a con for a few days, networking with each other and all that?

I'll still be doing my cosplays and I'll do the characters the best I can. Sure, my characterization might be off or it might not be homemade, but if we keep pushing perfection, sooner or later, there's conformity and newbies who want in on this would be turned off. As one of my fellow cosplayers has stated, "When that happens, cosplay will become nothing but a big contest".

This used to be a hobby we could get into, getting away from things such as work or school or whatever it was. But looking at it now, I'm seeing it as a repeat of the real world. We don't need this one bit. Cosplay is a mini-vacation for some of us and at times, it might be our only vacation for a good long while.

If you're reading this, please add your two cents on what you've noticed in the scene. I'm aware I might be sounding angry in this post and that I might be 'overreacting', but this frustration has been building up for some time. If it offends you, I'm sorry, but we probably should split ways.

Come 2014, let's aim to be more accepting and all that. Sure, that Madoka cosplayer might be missing the wig or the right gloves. But, let them join in your "Madoka Magica" group/picnic/whathaveyou. Yes, the guy in the corner might have the wrong color wig or plus-sized or whatever. If there's a cosplayer in the corner, but they don't have it looking "professional", talk with them. Give them some tips. They're still a part of who we are as a community. Each and every one of us brings our story as well as that same interest in the hobby.

The passion has become lost, losing its focus, character and comraderie amongst fellow cosplayers. Cosplay, yes it means "Costume play". But it's also a hobby, which means we have one focus in mind. To have fun while we're at it. It might have a different meaning to you, but then again, the interpretation is up to you.

"What about those who cosplay for the fun of it? Where is it fair that they're forced into a world they do not wish to be a part of?" and "How can they sit there and do this?".

I look at these questions and just sigh in frustration. Because of all of this going on, you can't tell on who is the good guy or the bad guy anymore. Sadly, with some of these 'cosplayers' speaking out on their opinion on what is the 'right way' to do this hobby, it makes the rest of us look bad.

As I conclude this rant of sorts, I say unto you guys as an 8 year veteran of this hobby:

When I started, my dream was to get up there one day to snatch the trophies and win allocades for my work. Sure, I haven't sewn at all and my costumes have been pieced together from just store bought clothing and cheap wigs. But that's besides the point.

I'm still a -hopeful- good person at heart. I'm willing to answer questions on cosplay and even give tips if needed.

Cosplay, to me, is still an art form I will be passionate about. It is a way of expressing one's self or something truly desired.

Would I still want to be one of those trophy winning cosplayers? After all this time and witnessing the drama within, no. If so, I'd be discarding who I am. An artistic hobbyist. Plus, if I was, I'd probably contributing to the drama and I'm ever so frustrated with at the moment.

Thank you for reading and well, if this Note pisses you off, there's the back door. It was nice knowing you.

I posted this on my Facebook tonight after a tiring and frustrating day. Plus, it's been pent up inside me for quite some time. Feel free to vent your thoughts on the scene itself. I'd like to hear your viewpoints on what the scene has become, etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:06 pm
I've read your post and find it interesting especially the line "Cosplay, to me, is still an art form I will be passionate about. It is a way of expressing one's self or something truly desired."

I started to cosplay and take photos of cosplayers back in 2009. My Love of Anime has grown a lot since then and I truly consider Cosplaying to be both an art form and a hobby that's special to me.

Back in 2009 I went to my first Anime / Cosplay con. I wore a Star Trek Original Series outfit and even though it wasn't based on an Anime show I was easily accepted and to my surprise many cosplayers wanted to take my photo and talk to me.

Since then I have created a Syaoran cosplay outfit from the Anime series Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles and altered a simple costume that I had to make another outfit.

I enjoy wearing the outfits that I put together and taking photos of Cosplayers. To me it doesn't matter if the cosplayer made a really fancy outfit or a simple one. What does matter is that they are Cosplaying a character that means something to them. All three of my outfits were accepted and it felt really good to go to a con where I knew that I would fit in.

Unfortunately many people these days compete heavily to be the best and their is discrimination and even crimes being committed against cosplayers.

Yes, I agree that the "real" World and all of it's political correctness has found it's way into the Cosplay World and conventions. I don't blame you for being upset.

I still find ways to have fun at cons and my photos of Cosplayers are well liked. One of my favorite things to do at Anime / Cosplay cons is to take photos of cosplayers and then show the photo to them right after I took it. I have made "Cosplay" friends that way and made them really happy because they can see how well their outfit turned out. Often I have given tips to others on their outfits and how to pose for photoshoots.

My advice is to always go to cons with friends or family members. That way you can share the convention experience with them. Also unfortunately these days you need to go to cons in a group for safety.

Also if a con isn't to your liking try going to another one. I've found that some of the cons out their are still like the ones that I went to in the past where I can truly enjoy myself and easily be accepted into a great group of people.

I know this is a long response but I feel passionate about Cosplaying too and had to say something. Please keep in mind that you are among friends in this Guild. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:17 pm
I have noticed this a bit, I started cons around 08, I personally don't cosplay much because I tend to worry about carrying extra luggage I did back in 08, usually I still talk to random people whether they are cosplaying or not. I am the type of person that will just walk up to a group of people and start talking to them, whether its a cosplayer or not, sometimes even hotel staff (I know it can be a bit stressful for them to have us all there) usually I jsut give them a simple thank you for putting up with all the shinangins that might happen at the hotel.
I did notice people are not as social as before, my 1st con people would talk to me, now its come to a time where I have to approach a large group of people and talk to them when I am alone.  
Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games