Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:45 pm
golden-priestess2
I did the same thing, i think it was the wrong move killing him. He was by far my favorite character in both the books and the films.

I understand from a writer's perspective the need to keep Harry an orphan and remove any and all "mentor" type characters. Its why she had to kill Dumbledor too (a move that did not affect me nearly as much). But I still think she could have left him alive for longer than she did. She couldn't have allowed Hary to ever live with him (as was explained in later books), but it would have been nice if they had more quality time together. It would have made his death more tragic from a dramatic standpoint. Instead, Sirius' death was just maddeningly frustrating and pissed more people off than it made them sad.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:55 pm
I agree, i think his death was to quick. If she had kept him until the last book and have him die at the same time as Remus i think it would have had more of an impact. Dumbledore's death was expected it didn't really have as much impact as it should have done either.
However when dobby, Remus and tonks died i cried a little.  

golden-priestess2

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:17 pm
golden-priestess2
when dobby, Remus

Yes, and yes.
Quote:
and tonks died i cried a little.

Not so much.

I never had any compelling feelings about Tonks one way or another. When she was first introduced I thoughts, "oh, how interesting. I wonder if Harry is gonna encounter a villain with that same ability." Then they never did and Tonks became the only character with the shape-shifting non-animagus ability. If she were a more central-character I would have written her off as a Mary-sue (luckily she escaped that by barely ever appearing over the course of three books). But between the combination of (me perceiving) her being uncommonly special, and her rarely appearing, I never felt anything for her. Not when she was pinning for Remus, not when she was pregnant, not when she died. The only compelling feeling I had for her was to think "Remus could do better."  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:28 pm
The thing that made me upset when tonks died was the fact that they left there son alone. i think she could have used the character more, if she had it would have probably made her more liked among the readers.
i like the idea of being able to shape shift your appearance but i also have to say that the way she was written in she was quite Mary-sueish.  

golden-priestess2

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 pm
golden-priestess2
The thing that made me upset when tonks died was the fact that they left there son alone. i think she could have used the character more, if she had it would have probably made her more liked among the readers.
i like the idea of being able to shape shift your appearance but i also have to say that the way she was written in she was quite Mary-sueish.

On the subject of shapeshifting within Harry Potter in general, after learning about animagi, I was expecting one of the main trio to learn how to do it. Probably not Harry, since he was special enough as it was, but maybe Ron or Hermione. When that wasn't happening and Tonks showed up, and Hermione seemed to spend a decent amount of time with her during the summers, I thought maybe Hermione would learn the ability. But she didn't. Honestly, the whole shapshifting thing was a little disappointing in the books because it was only ever discussed and shown on the peripheral. Other characters shapeshifted then were gone. James was an animagus, but is dead. Sirius is an animagus, but he's almost never around, then dies. Peter is an animagus, but he spent three of the seven books as a rat, then ran away and was barely ever around, then died. Rita Skeeter was an animagus, but we didn't learn that until the end of the book, then she disappears. Tonks is a shapeshifter, but we only ever see her during the summers, then she dies. Overall, the shapeshifting in Harry Potter felt like one giant Chekov's Gun to me.

On the subject of both Tonks' and Remus' deaths. All I have to say is, Harry became a godfather really, really young! Only seventeen and already responsible for an infant. On top of that, he didn't finish his last year of school and so is placed in an awkward position to get a job and support himself, never mind a baby. I know all turned out well in the end because of the epilogue (which read more like a fan fiction than part of the actual series), but still, Things are supposed to become less difficult for the hero after the Big Bad is defeated, not just morph into a different kind of difficult.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:09 pm
Renkon Root
golden-priestess2

On the subject of shapeshifting within Harry Potter in general, after learning about animagi, I was expecting one of the main trio to learn how to do it. Probably not Harry, since he was special enough as it was, but maybe Ron or Hermione. When that wasn't happening and Tonks showed up, and Hermione seemed to spend a decent amount of time with her during the summers, I thought maybe Hermione would learn the ability. But she didn't. Honestly, the whole shapshifting thing was a little disappointing in the books because it was only ever discussed and shown on the peripheral. Other characters shapeshifted then were gone. James was an animagus, but is dead. Sirius is an animagus, but he's almost never around, then dies. Peter is an animagus, but he spent three of the seven books as a rat, then ran away and was barely ever around, then died. Rita Skeeter was an animagus, but we didn't learn that until the end of the book, then she disappears. Tonks is a shapeshifter, but we only ever see her during the summers, then she dies. Overall, the shapeshifting in Harry Potter felt like one giant Chekov's Gun to me.

The moral of the story is shapeshifting = death, that's why none of the main characters learned it. xd  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

golden-priestess2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:19 pm
Maze353

The moral of the story is shapeshifting = death, that's why none of the main characters learned it. xd

ha ha. Maze you made me giggle when i read that.
although i agree with you, nearly all of the characters that could change into something else died. Well apart from mcgonagall.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 pm
Maze353
Renkon Root
golden-priestess2

This made me lol greatly.  

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm
golden-priestess2
Maze353
ha ha. Maze you made me giggle when i read that.
although i agree with you, nearly all of the characters that could change into something else died. Well apart from mcgonagall.

I don't think Rita Skeeter died either, but she was only in one book so you may not want to count her.

But McGonagall is a BOSS! Nothing can kill her!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm
If it's justified within the story, I suppose it's all right, but if the character just came back to life and there was no reason or explanation for it, then why bother killing the character off in the first place?  

Persephone in Hell

Shy Browser

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas