Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Convention Food - Best & Worst Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:38 pm
OnsenMark
Best? That depends on the con. I only go to three currently, so...

Katsucon: Nando's, hands down. Potbelly is pretty good. The food options inside the Gaylord proper are kind of meh, so... yeah. Your mileage may vary.

Otakon: Now that I've found the one in Baltimore, Nando's. Royal Farms has pretty good fried chicken for a convenience store. Five Guys, but that's a given. If you take the Charm City Circulator's Orange bus, you should be able to get off near the Blue Moon Cafe -- definitely worth it, as their breakfasts are pretty good. Pricey, but good.

Nekocon: Waffle House, McDonalds, KFC are pretty good and kinda close to the con venue. Golden Corral is good for post-con fooding.

Thanks for sharing. I think that it's interesting & informative finding out where to go for food at different cons. I have to admit I haven't heard about Nando's before. What kind of food do they serve their?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:46 am
smithers456
OnsenMark
Best? That depends on the con. I only go to three currently, so...

Katsucon: Nando's, hands down. Potbelly is pretty good. The food options inside the Gaylord proper are kind of meh, so... yeah. Your mileage may vary.

Otakon: Now that I've found the one in Baltimore, Nando's. Royal Farms has pretty good fried chicken for a convenience store. Five Guys, but that's a given. If you take the Charm City Circulator's Orange bus, you should be able to get off near the Blue Moon Cafe -- definitely worth it, as their breakfasts are pretty good. Pricey, but good.

Nekocon: Waffle House, McDonalds, KFC are pretty good and kinda close to the con venue. Golden Corral is good for post-con fooding.

Thanks for sharing. I think that it's interesting & informative finding out where to go for food at different cons. I have to admit I haven't heard about Nando's before. What kind of food do they serve their?

It's a chicken joint, but they do it with some sort of African/Portugese spice mix or something. 's good stuff.

more info:

http://www.nandosperiperi.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nando's  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:51 pm
It's funny how certain foods make you think of cons. Now whenever I have watermelon juice (or even just watermelons), I'm reminded of Fanime. Or when I have Taco Bell I think of SacCon. It's fun!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 am
xinitia
It's funny how certain foods make you think of cons. Now whenever I have watermelon juice (or even just watermelons), I'm reminded of Fanime. Or when I have Taco Bell I think of SacCon. It's fun!

Anytime I see Pocky I think of my favorite con Jafax where they have a vendor that has a room full of Japanese goodies from drinks to chips to candy!!

Eating at McDonald's reminds me of Youmacon because it's in the food court of the Renaissance Center and a recognizable place to meet up with people. smile Also because Youma means monster and if you need a super size meal where else would you go.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

himelia

Shadowy Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 pm

During the con, to get a fast eatings in, I'd go to Subway and Mcdonalds or buy pocky for somewhere or take some of my friends homemade food whee . The con I've only been to is Fanime so my list is very short, and really, their cheap food is limited unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for something inside or you don't mind long lines into fast food restaurants (which was a problem for me since I barely eat fast food but i compromised). Though last year I couldn't help but live off of the coffee stand inside the center. emotion_facepalm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:58 am
himelia

During the con, to get a fast eatings in, I'd go to Subway and Mcdonalds or buy pocky for somewhere or take some of my friends homemade food whee . The con I've only been to is Fanime so my list is very short, and really, their cheap food is limited unless you want to pay an arm and a leg for something inside or you don't mind long lines into fast food restaurants (which was a problem for me since I barely eat fast food but i compromised). Though last year I couldn't help but live off of the coffee stand inside the center. emotion_facepalm

That's nice of your friends to have homemade food for you. A couple of times I made sandwiches to eat later. I'm not crazy about eating fast food but sometimes I do need something to keep my energy level up. Also I have been at cons that have had fancy or expensive restaurants in them and quickly turn away because I would rather spend my money on stuff in the dealers room. A Maid Cafe I found out is not the place to go to if you are hungry, Their portions are not too big. I go to a Maid Cafe for the experience instead.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 am
himelia

That coffee stand at Fanime is DANGEROUS!!!! Haha! For my coffee fix at Fanime I usually walk down to Philz Coffee, which is down past Hydration and Pizza My Heart.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:22 pm
smithers456
himelia

That's nice of your friends to have homemade food for you. A couple of times I made sandwiches to eat later. I'm not crazy about eating fast food but sometimes I do need something to keep my energy level up. Also I have been at cons that have had fancy or expensive restaurants in them and quickly turn away because I would rather spend my money on stuff in the dealers room. A Maid Cafe I found out is not the place to go to if you are hungry, Their portions are not too big. I go to a Maid Cafe for the experience instead.

Yeah I went there expecting to pay for dinner. However, sandwiches would've been a better option, the problem we ran into was that the food they brought usually is eaten hot, and so it was room tempurature/cold since there were no microwaves or ovens or anything around for us to heat the food up with. emotion_sweatdrop
I'm the same way. I have a tight pocket months prior to a con because i'm saving up for the dealer's hall. I hate seeing something that I could afford hours before but I can't buy it later bc I blew it on food/gaming/or something else. Maid cafes yeah, I'd imagine so! I thought they just give you tea. xD I wanted to go to the maid cafe but the line was too long, it was out the hotel doors where it was held and to be honest, by that time of day my patience was thin.

himelia

Shadowy Nerd

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:16 am
himelia
smithers456
himelia

Yeah I went there expecting to pay for dinner. However, sandwiches would've been a better option, the problem we ran into was that the food they brought usually is eaten hot, and so it was room tempurature/cold since there were no microwaves or ovens or anything around for us to heat the food up with. emotion_sweatdrop
I'm the same way. I have a tight pocket months prior to a con because i'm saving up for the dealer's hall. I hate seeing something that I could afford hours before but I can't buy it later bc I blew it on food/gaming/or something else. Maid cafes yeah, I'd imagine so! I thought they just give you tea. xD I wanted to go to the maid cafe but the line was too long, it was out the hotel doors where it was held and to be honest, by that time of day my patience was thin.

As for Maid Cafe's their is a thread in this guild where I talk more about my experiences with them. For $7 I got a small deli roll, a couple pieces of fruit, and a small piece of cheese cake. Once we sat down with our food we were served coffee or tea. I did like the fact that their was 16 types of tea to pick from. My brother was upset because he expected more in the way of food. The con tried a line first for the Maid Cafe and then changed it into signing up for a reservation instead which worked out much better. Instead of waiting in line for hours my brother and I had tickets which we used later on. I did have fun with the Maid Cafe experience in general but I had to go somewhere else to eat afterwards.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 am
xinitia
himelia

That coffee stand at Fanime is DANGEROUS!!!! Haha! For my coffee fix at Fanime I usually walk down to Philz Coffee, which is down past Hydration and Pizza My Heart.

It is! xD
There was a point where I became dependent on it, stood in line bill in hand yet I complained to the point where my friends had to physically restrain me. emotion_sweatdrop

Ack! I didn't know those places were nearby~! emotion_facepalm I'll keep that in mind for next year. After years of not going, I felt like a rookie. letting the stand suck up all my monies. gonk

himelia

Shadowy Nerd

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:29 pm
Food at Cons is pricey (or terrible for people who have diet issues). I usually bring a few snacks and go to a couple of sit-downs restaurants when I'm at cons.  
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff