Submit

Renkon Root

Versatile Receiver

17,575 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:57 pm
Okay, not fantasy, I know. This is a fantasy guild and this thread doesn't technically belong here, but I feel like sharing anyway.

I recently started reading The Monuments Men, the book that has just become a new movie starring Matt Damon and George Cloony. Anyway, I wanted to read the book before I saw the movie and I just finished chapter one and i cried a little. That's right, the first ******** chapter brought me to tears!

Chapter one introduces one of the 10 main characters, Private Harry Ettlinger, US Sevent Army. He was a Jewish immigrant from Germany. His family fled the country when he was thirteen (the day after his bar mitzvah) and settled in New Jersey. He was the last person to be bar mitzvah'd in the temple before it was burned shortly after. That really got to me.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to reading the book, but I'm gonna do it in short bursts and at home. Its not the sort of book I want to read on my breaks at work.

What non-fiction or historical fiction books have you read that really got to you? And why?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:21 pm
I've actually been trying to read a lot more non-fiction books, although no history ones so far. I'm more into science and natural history books. I've recently read a couple books by Stephen Jay Gould and I'm working my way (rather slowly) through Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth. Plus I read various books on birds because I'm a birder...  

NightIntent
Captain

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces