Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[Enrollment] Tansy the Yule Cat [Accepted]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sable Eye Cerena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:34 pm
AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Name: Tansy
Nicknames: N/A; sometimes when she's feeling "hip" she'll sign her posts/texts "Tan-Z", but obviously you can't pronounce that differently.

Faction: Monster
Race: Yule Cat
Yule cats are monsters of Icelandic legend, who are large, and pitch black, and nasty. If you are caught by a Yule Cat on Christmas Day and you are not wearing any new clothing, they get to eat you (so the story goes.) In reality, all they do is scare humans that wear old clothing.

Yule Cats live in Halloween, and grown Cats who have proven their ability to properly identify clothing and have their passports to the human world are given responsibility over one Icelandic village each. They will patrol and attempt to scare unfashionable humans in their village; on Christmas Day the whole clan has a concentrated effort to harvest the largest amount of FEAR they can.

Natural Ability:
Year One
Shapeshifting - she has the ability to shift from her humanoid form to a large, black cat with many teeth.
Year Two
Clothing Identification - a Yule Cat's job would be impossible if they weren't able to tell how old an item of clothing was just by looking at it. If they decide to concentrate on refining this ability, a Cat can even learn other things, either by sight, smell, or taste -- things like the rough fabric composition of the clothing, or the type of person made it.

Personality:
Always hungry
The first thing about Tansy is that she is very food motivated. She is by no means a chef (and doesn't even find the preparation or baking of food to be fun), but she appreciates anything and everything edible. And a few things that aren't. Her first instinct when coming across something strange and new is to taste it. She takes very good care of her many teeth.

Fashion-conscious
She judges everybody by their clothes. She is not necessarily a very fashionable person (she has a habit of accessorizing with food, and will gladly clash patterns and colors), but she believes that clothes show more about a person's character than any other thing. The worst thing that could possibly happen to anyone is to be forced to wear an item of clothing older than a year old, the same thing as someone else, or jeans.

She is handy with a sewing needle, and would love to learn to work a sewing machine. She makes her own clothes, and will show her appreciation for others by giving them something to wear.

But not socially conscious
It's not that Tansy doesn't like people, and secretly she wishes she had more friends or could connect more easily with others than she does. But she never seems to have a handle on social situations: her jokes tend towards the macabre and inappropriate, and she has a habit of telling them at the wrong time -- like when a teacher is trying to scold her, or when someone is crying over a recently deceased pet. She has no idea how to read people, and thus sometimes her responses can seem a little... Non-sequitor.

Since Yule Cats usually work alone (one Yule Cat per village), she doesn't have any leadership skills. She can take directions, and can do well in groups where responsibilities are clearly defined and distinct, but is unwilling to compromise any vision that she may have and thus finds it difficult to work directly with other people. She isn't naturally a very loyal person, and in the process of seizing any opportunity to either eat food or further her fashion skills will find herself throwing others under the bus.

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy?
A custom of her clan is that, once a Cat is of a certain age, they are sent away to another town in Halloween to study its fashion under the guidance of the Yule Cat who currently patrols there. Tansy is spectacularly horrid (perhaps willfully so, no one could ever figure it out) at identifying new clothing; a Cat only gets to scare a person when it's not wearing any new clothing, and she wasn't discerning enough to be anything more than a nuisance to the residents of the town. Soon enough, no Yule Cats willing to take Tansy on as an apprentice remained. Her family, hearing good things about Amityville Academy, decided it was best to send their daughter away.

FEAR Ability: Tainted Fang -- Tansy licks her claws and then slashes at her opponent. If successful, the slash causes an acidic reaction that affects clothing. At her age/training, the acid is only strong enough to mildly bleach cloth (it doesn't affect armor or clothing that's made primarily from plastic synthetics like polyester or nylon), which may in turn create only an uncomfortable burning sensation from the affected clothing against bare skin.

Physical Description:
Eye Colour: Black sclera; silver-white pupils. They reflect white.
Hair Colour/Style: Tansy's hair is comprised of two layers; the top layer (which includes her bangs, and is cut short at the back of her neck) is deep red. The bottom layer is grown out enough to be divided into two short pigtails, and is black. Her natural hair color is black.
Skin Colour: Icelandic human-flesh colored.
Clothing Style/Colours: She imagines herself very fashionable, and is usually seen in fancy blouses, long poofy skirts, and striped leggings. She also has a fondness for bells and holly, which both feature prominently in her accessorizing.
Extra: The only marker of her species are her odd eyes and her long, poofy, beautiful tail. She draws attention to it by creating 'tail cloaks', like the one she regularly wears that looks like cupcake icing and sprinkles.
References: I have official art already, seen to the right, created by the wonderful Chimarii.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 am
rolls in like a pillbug

approval pert:
Nat ability- A+ we dont rly approve y2 or above nat abilities but I can at very least suggest on it. which i'll do in others section of crit.

Reason for enrollment- I'm afraid that she'd wouldn't have had human contact! Passports to the human word aren't given to students or those who are considered youths. So her going and eating people is right out- just the same, halloweeners don't kill humans, it's just not profitable. There are actually laws against such practices and so it's highly unlikely that yule cats would be going around eating people anyway. BUT- a good work around is that her clan resides in various halloween cities which would have had portals that would lead to different places in iceland. In those halloween cities she was to be tutored, but having failed the basics in halloween, no one wanted to take her. Thus, amity.

Battle cry- Clothing isn't really sentient so yelling at it would more or less just be like yelling at your sock.. it really wouldn't do anything. Battle cry also is a physical based attack. Think of a FEAR attack like solarbeam in pokemon. You charge it up to blast hardcore. After, you might need a bit of recovery before you use it again. It's a one hit wonder type deal, a burst of energy.
I would suggest that (if wanting to stick with battle cry) she uses her fangs or claws that tend to do more damage to outfits than people, or if open to suggestion, to go the route of tainted fang- that she slashes at an enemy with acid like claws which dissolve cloth and flesh alike.

Other stuff:
nat ability (cont.)
I would say y2 just to know 1-3 'key' things. Such as age, materials, orgin of materials- but even then I would keep them fairly 'loose' in terms of identification. IE: She'd know a dress is at least 3 years old, but not 3 years, 6 months, 5 days, 9 hours etc etc. So if she'd know who made a dress she'd know 'elderly person' but not that it was X person's grandmother and ofc she'd not know grandmother's name. Basically she'd know key things within reason, but lack in grand specifics.

a purely personal opinion, but I've always been of the mind that things like clumsy or always hungry are not really key personality traits unless they directly impact how she interacts with people new and old, on a daily basis. If she's always hungry, how does that reflect on her relationships? How does that shape how she views events around her? What makes it a good thing for her and enables her to make and keep friends? What about it makes it hard for her to make or keep friends? Basically, if something just is a trait (IE always hungry, likes videogames) then it's not something that typically will grow and develop with a character- which to me is one of the ultimate goals of RPing, growing and evolving a character. I would recommend establishing how it makes her who she is, rather than how she is.

'The worst thing that could possibly happen to anyone is to be forced to wear an item of clothing older than a year old, the same thing as someone else, or jeans.'
Xcuse u jeans r always fashionable

/always/

Sable Eye Cerena

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

Sable Eye Cerena

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 pm
iStoleYurVamps

Thanks so much for the critique/specific suggestions, they really helped. I fixed her origin so that she never ate anyone and her clan was based in Halloween and not in Iceland, like you suggested, and I changed her FEAR attack to be basically the tainted fang attack you suggested.

I made a tiny revision to her y2 ability to make it more vague, too. I haven't made any changes to her personality because I was going to rewrite her personality section (not change anything, just make it better) and I'm eager to get approved and get RPing, but I get what you mean about "always hungry" being kind of not really a personality trait. I'll expand upon it in her journal.

THX heart heart  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:10 pm
Further changes -- added more descriptions to Yule Cats to specify that they live in Halloween and don't actually eat humans. Also changed Tansy's FEAR attack so that the acid affects clothing only.  

Sable Eye Cerena

Marushii
Vice Captain

Enduring Loiterer

12,925 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:33 pm
BASIC CHARACTER KIT WHAT DO I DO NEXT

Welcome to This is Halloween!

Congratulations! Your character has passed the enrollment process and you're cleared to begin playing. Essentially, this means you can get your art certed, make your character's journal, and most importantly start RPing. If you're a little lost then don't worry, this guide is here to point you in the right direction.

gaia_crown [ Art Check! ]:

- Do you have your character's art? Great! Move onto the next crown.

- If you do NOT yet have your art, you may now contact your artist and let them know that they may now start on creating your character!

gaia_crown [ Certs & Emblems ]:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

- If your character is a STUDENT, you may create a customized student pin for them. This is entirely optional (but fun!) special badge that is unique to your character's design! You can find more information about pins (also known as their emblem) here.

- Hallowen characters (Students & Horsemen) may bet their character certed here!

- Hunters may get their certs here!

gaia_crown [ Creating a Journal ]:

- A journal is a thread where you can keep track of your character's accomplishments, RPs, progress, relationships, etc!

- All HALLOWEEN characters (Students & Horsemen) may create one here!

- All Hunters may create one here!

gaia_crown [ Let's RP! ]:

- Don't be shy about RPing! As soon as your character has been enroll approved you can start! Check out this awesome information about The World of Halloween and Amityville Academy. All students start off in Amityville academy. Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All students are invited to participate!

- If you are a Hunter, you will want to read the Hunter Newbie Guide Occasionally GMs will promote and open MISSION orps. These usually happen in the main Deus subforum and be followed by a guild announcement. All Hunters are invited to participate!

- If you are a Horsemen, please refer to here and the handy links in the first post as well as the other posts for concurrent and quest information! Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All Horsemen are invited to participate!

gaia_crown [ What's happening currently? ]:
- We try to keep all important things happening regularily updated in the ANNOUNCEMENTS THREAD. This goes for ALL FACTIONS. Have a question? Ask it in the Q & A !

gaia_crown [ Still feeling a little lost or overwhelmed? That's okay! ]:
- Check out what was just mentioned in FULL DETAIL HERE! Don't be too overwhelmed, there's time to sort everything out. For now, just enjoy some simple RP!

gaia_crown [ Finding RP ]:
- There's a bunch of ways to find RP. You can just contact a friend or any shop regular OR one of our available GMS for help! Otherwise, there are a lot of people looking to plot with YOU in their plotting threads! You can even make your own and advertise in your sig/ in the main thread/ etc etc!

- In addition any thread marked ORP is open for you to join!

- If you ever feel lost as a newbie, our many GMs are more than happy to one on one RP with you to help your character get acquainted. Send a PM to WE ARE HALLOWEEN and we can get you started this way as well. Otherwise, enjoy immersing yourself in the many RPS in TiH! It is all about discovery after all!

{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games