Lately, I have gained an obsession with a video game series that could no doubt use some loving. While I wasn't there for the very first Etrian Odyssey, I have since then played the original for the DS, as well as the fabulous remake, Etrian Odyssey Untold for the 3DS.

I am currently playing through the second one.

What is Etrian Odyssey?
Etrian Odyssey is a 3rd person RPG, which uses an old school style system which includes making your party at the start by choosing their classes, choosing one of four portraits to represent them, as well as choosing their abilities gained through a skill class system, which differs from class to class. What makes Etrian Odyssey so fun for me is the DS's touch screen feature, which in the game is utilized through drawing your own maps!
Gameplay (Etrian Odyssey IV)
Note: All titles have English releases.

Why should I play it?
FOR THE MUSIC, BY GOD FOR THE MUSIC!
As seen in the video, the Etrian Odyssey series not only offers very interesting gameplay, but also endless customizing, a fun mapping system, as well as a fun shopping system, which is made enjoyable through selling the monster drops, which are then made into buyable equipment. While the series is well known for being difficult, the later series in particular does well for balancing out the classes, to make it an enjoyable difficulty.
Besides, if you get a game over (did I mention the series has the happiest game over jingle in the history of video games?), you are given the option to save your map progress, and in easier difficulties, even given the option to restart the battle.

Online Features?
This is where it gets interesting, the later 3DS entries allows the player to generate a QR code to take a picture of and upload it to the internet. A player can then scan the code with the 3DS camera, and obtain a status screen of the player's guild. In Untold, it generates a random skill for the player, but in IV, it allows the player to download that guild's selected character!

Where should I start?
The series has no linear story behind it, so one can theoretically start anywhere. While the first title is available for the DS, there is an updated 3DS remake for it on the 3DS, which is where I started. If you start on the very first one, it will give you a good feel for the series difficulty, but at the same time, if difficulty isn't really your thing, I would definitely recommend the remake.

I want to try!
Please do! I will help you with anything you need help on!