Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info
Staffing at Cons - Your thoughts

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever staffed at a con?
  Yes, I'm a pro at it
  Yes, once
  I've thought about it, but it seems like a bad idea
  Hell no! You people are crazy!
View Results

Son Goshi-kun

Distinct Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:23 pm
Hi everyone! I was just curious to hear what you think about staffing at cons. Whether it's your own experiences, tips, or interesting stories.

------

This had been my third year working at my local convention, and I've never been as angry at my fellow staff members. The new people in charge left a very bad taste in my mouth with the way they treated some of us, and I wanted to punch a few of them.

This was the first year I've been this dissatisfied with working there. Yes, it can be stressful, but I felt like I accomplished something. This year, I was crying due to rage and frustration. You should NEVER be that upset at a con....

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm
I used to volunteer and help run the masquerade and peace bonding at a small local con a while back. I always had fun, but at the time all the volunteers were my friends, and the management was super chill. I'm glad that I did it, but I may not staff again for a while. I like the freedom to enjoy the con at my own pace.  

xinitia

Crew

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:20 pm
ive worked registering special guest, basically voice actors, industry guest and so forth, it was pretty chill. We had snacks and got treated pretty well they even bought me a yoyo to entertain myself with.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:30 pm
honestly it depends on the con
I staff under the events area within a outsourced group so we set our own rules and hours.

however i do work for SDCCI as a volunteer, and love it.

It really just depends on the person and if they are willing to give up time in their schedule to work, and pack the cosplay in a bag as most staffing positions do not allow you to wear your costumes  

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 pm
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
honestly it depends on the con
I staff under the events area within a outsourced group so we set our own rules and hours.

however i do work for SDCCI as a volunteer, and love it.

It really just depends on the person and if they are willing to give up time in their schedule to work, and pack the cosplay in a bag as most staffing positions do not allow you to wear your costumes

The team you're working with and the mentality of the convention really make all the difference. If people accept your presence at the con grudgingly, then chances are it isn't as much fun. If they're having a good time, you probably are, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:34 am
I've only volunteered at video room but gosh they treated us well. I got a free badge, two staff shirts and catered food (actual meals not just snacks). It was a really cool experience I'll probably do it again this year.  

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:22 pm
Storm17
I've only volunteered at video room but gosh they treated us well. I got a free badge, two staff shirts and catered food (actual meals not just snacks). It was a really cool experience I'll probably do it again this year.

I've talked to a few video room staffers at different Anime / Cosplay cons. It's nice talking about the video's that you are watching or other series that you are both fans of. I use to work at Star Trek conventions and volunteering gave me an appreciation for what the workers go through to put on a show. It's a lot of hard work that you have fun doing. I've done everything from checking badges at doors, helped out guests, sold T-shirts, security, and setting up stages & tables.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 am
smithers456
Storm17

I've talked to a few video room staffers at different Anime / Cosplay cons. It's nice talking about the video's that you are watching or other series that you are both fans of. I use to work at Star Trek conventions and volunteering gave me an appreciation for what the workers go through to put on a show. It's a lot of hard work that you have fun doing. I've done everything from checking badges at doors, helped out guests, sold T-shirts, security, and setting up stages & tables.

Yeah, it's great when you can start a good conversation or if their into an obscure fandom you share. That's the best!

I'm really lucky with my experiences with staffers and being a staffer. I've only had a small handful of bad experiences (only as a attendee). It is amazing what goes into a con, even a small one day con is a lot of work. It makes me glad I'm only a video room grunt.  

Storm17

Tipsy Hoarder

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 am
I've actually decided to try and go for staffing at Next year's Neko in the tabletop department. It'll be an interesting experience, as the only current card/board game I know about is Cards Against Humanity. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 am
OnsenMark
I've actually decided to try and go for staffing at Next year's Neko in the tabletop department. It'll be an interesting experience, as the only current card/board game I know about is Cards Against Humanity. sweatdrop

I've been in two CCG Tournaments. One was a long time ago sponsored by a store called "Media Play" and another tournament was at a Comic Book / Card Shop. At Media Play I was in a Next Gen Star Trek CCG Tournament and at the Comic Book shop I was in a prototype CCG called "Testament", Testament was designed by a friend of mine. I watched over a year as he designed the cards and came up with the rules. The game works similar to Magic the Gathering but instead of Dungeon and Dragons type characters these characters were notable figures from the Bible. My friend had the resources to make the cards and the specialized holders for the cards. One half was good and the other half evil. The Testament prototype Tournament went well but unfortunately the cards didn't catch on and sell. So what I have is a very special and rare souvenir.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Convention Experiences & Running Panels/Conventions Info

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers