Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild
Mistakes (yet some more from muggle net)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashley-Damei

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:20 am
ALL ARE FOUND AT www.mugglenet.com Go there for more!!

SS
On page 27 (American paperback), it mentions that the snake in the zoo winked at Harry. Harry can't be blamed for being so surprised, as snakes don't have movable eyelids.

When Hagrid comes and gets Harry out of the little hut on the rock, they use the boat that the Dursleys used to get to the rock. So how do the Dursleys get off the rock?

In Harry's letter from Hogwarts it says he could bring a cat, an owl, or a toad, but Ron brings his rat, Scabbers.

CoS
On page 95, it states that Nearly Headless Nick "took several deep breaths, and then said, in a far calmer tone, 'So what's bothering you?'" However, on page 506 of GoF, Myrtle says that ghosts do not breathe: "When I can't ...when I haven't...not for ages..."

On page 102 of the American CoS: "Several (freshly caught Cornish pixies) shot through the window, showering the back row with broken glass." The glass would have splintered outward, not back into the classroom.

In CoS, on page 119 of the American version, it states, "...Harry was dragging his feet along the SECOND floor corridor to Lockhart's office. He gritted his teeth and knocked." However, on page 141, after Mrs. Norris is found petrified on the second floor, Lockhart urges Professor Dumbledore to use his office to examine her, saying that it is just upstairs. That would mean that his office is on the THIRD floor, not the second.

PoA
In the American version of Prisoner of Azkaban, page 72, first paragraph, it states that "Harry and Ron led the way to the end of the train, past packed compartments, to a carriage that looked quite empty. They loaded the trunks onto it, stowed Hedwig and Crookshanks in the luggage rack, then went back outside..."
On page 74, it states that "Harry, Ron, and Hermione set off down the corridor, looking for an empty compartment, but all were full except for the one at the very end of the train. This one had only one occupant, a man sitting fast asleep next to the window."
They had just put their belongings into an empty compartment, so they didn't need to look for another.
On page 76, it states, "A faint, tinny sort of whistle was coming from somewhere. They looked all around the compartment. 'It's coming from your trunk, Harry,' said Ron, standing up and reaching into the luggage rack."
Their trunks couldn't have been in that compartment as they had stowed them in another one.

Prisoner of Azkaban, UK edition: On page 242, it says, "Harry felt strangely unreal, and even more so when he saw Buckbeak a few yards away, tethered to a tree behind Hagrid's pumpkin patch." Later, on page 293, however, it says, "Harry began to fumble with the rope tying Buckbeak to the fence." Here Buckbeak is tied to a fence, not a tree.

GoF
On page 23 of the American version of Goblet of Fire, when Harry is writing to Sirius about the pain in his scar, it says he was "marveling at the fact that he hadn't thought of Sirius straight away. But then, perhaps it wasn't so surprising -- after all, he had only found out that Sirius was his godfather two months ago." Harry actually found out Sirius was his godfather about eight months before, on that day in the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade.

In the US edition on page 148, at the bottom it states that Ron, Harry, and Hermione had entered Ron's room, which is here called the "attic room." However, on page 154, it states at the bottom that one of the sounds that could be heard from Ron's room was the ghoul "in the attic." How, then, could Ron's room be considered the attic room, when there is a ghoul living above that room in "the attic"?

In GoF, chapter 26 (page 505), Krum tells Hermione that she has a beetle in her hair, "but Hermione brushed away the beetle impatiently." In Chapter 37 on the train after she had captured Rita Skeeter, Hermione says, "and Viktor pulled a beetle out of my hair..." Hermione says Viktor pulled the beetle out, yet the book says that she brushed it away.

OotP
Harry is able to see the Thestrals at the beginning of Order of the Phoenix. It is later explained that you can see them after you have seen death. Harry had seen the death of his mother and possibly his father before he saw Cedric Diggory die, so why didn't he see the Thestrals before?

On page 166, chapter 9, "The Woes of Mrs. Weasley," it says: "He pretended to be rummaging for something while Hermione crossed to the wardrobe and called Hedwig down. A few moments passed; Harry heard the door close but remained bent double, listening... He straightened up and looked behind him. Hermione and Hedwig had gone. Harry hurried across the room, closed the door..." But Harry had already heard the door close.

In chapter 13, "Detention with Dolores," starting on page 234 (259 USA), Professor Grubbly-Plank states, "I want a sketch from each of you with all body-parts labeled by the end of the lesson." The inconsistencies are noticeable at the end of that class; for example, on page 235 (260 USA), it says, "When the bell echoed distantly over the grounds, Harry rolled up his blood-stained Bowtruckle picture and marched off..." On page 238 (264 USA) Harry says that they all (specifically Ron and Hermione) have tons of homework, including to "finish the Bowtruckle drawing," and again it's mentioned on page 241 (268 USA). On page 242 (269 USA), Harry even skips lunch to finish it. Wasn't it due at the end of the original class, and therefore was not homework?

HBP
The cover illustration portrays Dumbledore with a normal-looking right hand, but the text makes it clear that it is Dumbledore's right hand and arm (p. 58 ) that are blackened and shriveled (p. 48 ), and that are still in such condition at the precise moment depicted by the cover illustration (p. 567).

In the American Edition, page 188, Slughorn says, "One tiny bottle of Felix Felicis enough for twelve hours' luck. From dusk till' dawn, you will be lucky in everything you attempt."
But then on page 476, Harry says, "I don't reckon I'll need all of it, not twenty-four hours' worth..."

On page 176 of HBP, UK edition, it states "Malfoy looked rather as he had done the time Hermione had punched him in the face." However, on page 216 of the UK POA, Hermione "...had slapped Malfoy around the face with all the strength she could muster."

General
Dumbledore was Transfiguration teacher before he was Headmaster, and Remus Lupin was born in/around 1960 (in OotP Snape is 35 or 36, so we can make an estimate on Remus' age in PoA from that).
Now: On page 352 of the hardback version of PoA, in the chapter entitled "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs," Lupin says, "I was a very small boy when I received the [werewolf] bite," and on the next page says "It seemed impossible that I would be able to come to Hogwarts... But then Dumbledore became Headmaster...", and of course Dumbledore allowed Remus to attend Hogwarts.
Now skip ahead to OotP. On page 321, in the chapter entitled "The Hogwarts High Inquisitor," McGonagall says she has been teaching at Hogwarts for "thirty-nine years this December." Assuming that McGonagall has always taught Transfiguration (never any other subject) at Hogwarts, and also assuming that at this point Remus would also be 35 or 36 (based on Snape's age), then Dumbledore would have been Headmaster for at least three years before Remus was born. So why did Remus say he wouldn't have been able to attend Hogwarts if Dumbledore hadn't become Headmaster after Remus was bitten?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:56 am
Woah, this is really cool!  

Xo__Kyiri__oX

Spastic waffles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:23 pm
About the thestrals:

JK says that death has to "sink in" before you can see the thestrals: you have to realize you've seen death.

However, I want to know why they were still "Horseless cariages" at the end of book four. Harry had seen Cedric die and realized he'd seen death, so he should have been able to see the thestrals.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:00 pm
You're right, but there might've been a slight chance he was in denile  

Ashley-Damei

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

evil_black_cat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 am
Very interesting!! Its kinda nice to know that even JK makes mistakes.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:45 pm
One of those mistakes was due to a single word.

I've actually found spelling errors in some of the books. ><

Of course, that's not rare - I find spelling/grammar errors in almost every book I read.

Including textbooks. rofl  

Pistil

ofbittersweetmemories

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:03 am
Pistil
One of those mistakes was due to a single word.

I've actually found spelling errors in some of the books. ><

Of course, that's not rare - I find spelling/grammar errors in almost every book I read.

Including textbooks. rofl

My english teacher is giving extra credit for any spelling/grammer errors we find, its like a treasure hunt.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:49 pm
i bought the american paper back of OOTP and on page 86 an entire paragraph is written upside down its ******** wierd looking. it was the only one in the pile or i would have bought 2  

[Hollow Point]

Avarswiel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:44 am
[Hollow point]
i bought the american paper back of OOTP and on page 86 an entire paragraph is written upside down its ******** wierd looking. it was the only one in the pile or i would have bought 2
heh thats pretty cool....i would think it would take some sort of skill to mess up printing a book...considering how mass produced they are  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:34 pm
thats really cool...i only noticed a few of those mistakes. ^_^  

mystikdreamer

Mystical Dreamer

13,675 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Frozen Solid 200

ofbittersweetmemories

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:44 am
I didn't notice any mistakes til now, I'm just oblivious like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 pm
[Hollow point]
My Developmental Biology textbook for university.

Now that's a laugh.

*fetches*

In order pages:

487, 488, blank, blank, 491, blank, 489, 490, 495, 496, 493, 494, blank, blank, 497, 498, 499, 500, blank, blank, 503, 504, 501, 502, 507, 508, 505, 506, blank, blank, goes back to normal.

The pages are all there, just not in the right order.

A whole order of books ended up this way. ><  

Pistil

Alemontes

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 5:18 pm
everyone makes mistake even if your the greatest speller in the world.  
The Order of the Phoenix: A Harry Potter Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games