Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
I swallowed my pride

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OhNoesItsMiho

Unbeatable Lover

9,150 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:29 pm
Sooo, I used to complain and whine on here about how I wanted to be different and make my costumes from scratch. Well, I had to think realistically. Making things from scratch is freaking hard and I don't have the patience for it. I get frustrated easily, especially when I'm trying to make something perfect.

I swallowed my pride this year and altered four black t-shirts that I don't wear anymore and turned them into bicycle shorts for my Radical Edward cosplay. I also used my brother's white muscle beater and modified that.

I look up to one of my friends who's really good at making costumes and when he praised me for MY cosplay, I about had a heart attack. I told him I just ripped apart old clothes and turned them into something new and he told me that he does the same thing.

My cosplay was a success and I already bought a whole bunch of XL green t-shirts and a yellow t-shirt for my Sgt Keroro costume. I already planned out how I'm going to make it. The hat part is what excites me the most. I bought a long sleeved yellow shirt and I was going to use the sleeves as the flaps for the hat and then measure my head to make the pattern.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 pm
OhNoesItsMiho
Sooo, I used to complain and whine on here about how I wanted to be different and make my costumes from scratch. Well, I had to think realistically. Making things from scratch is freaking hard and I don't have the patience for it. I get frustrated easily, especially when I'm trying to make something perfect.

I swallowed my pride this year and altered four black t-shirts that I don't wear anymore and turned them into bicycle shorts for my Radical Edward cosplay. I also used my brother's white muscle beater and modified that.

I look up to one of my friends who's really good at making costumes and when he praised me for MY cosplay, I about had a heart attack. I told him I just ripped apart old clothes and turned them into something new and he told me that he does the same thing.

My cosplay was a success and I already bought a whole bunch of XL green t-shirts and a yellow t-shirt for my Sgt Keroro costume. I already planned out how I'm going to make it. The hat part is what excites me the most. I bought a long sleeved yellow shirt and I was going to use the sleeves as the flaps for the hat and then measure my head to make the pattern.

Sometimes the simplest things can turn out incredible. Many of my cosplay friends go to resale shops and buy used clothing and other items to make outfits with. Also others have used old cosplay outfits that they didn't want anymore and altered them into new ones. One of the things that I have done at cons when I'm taking to cosplayers I ask, how did you make that? You can be surprised by the answers. It sounds like you have help with making outfits which is great. smile On Deviant Art I checked out a group cosplay and found out that group helped each other out making use of all of their talents to create outfits. Many cons have panels where you can learn how to make outfits from scratch. I need to do that myself. smile Have fun creating more outfits.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:07 pm
Fabric is really expensive any more, and it's a lot more affordable to re-use old clothing, sheets, and whatever else you can find hanging around. Often times the result looks just as good as it would otherwise, and it's a lot of fun trying to come up with different methods to make cosplay!  
Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games