Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
3 costumes please help

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am
I am going to do 3 new cosplays
I know what they are

1 ) I want to know how to make wings with cloth and wire like they sell in the stores

2). I can make the props for the costume my self

3) I want to make my own costumes but I don't know how to sow

4) I knew a friend who made my a costumes but they had to move away

5) is there any good cosplay story that has good quality costumes?

6 ) I am really busy to make or learn to make my costumes

I am doing

Erza scarlet - fairy tail
(Feathered wings)

Lillymon - digimon season 1 my friend is doing meme

( how to do leaf shaped wings)

And tecna - winx club

( I need to know how to do the diamond wings?)

I would like some references / websites

All my characters have wings!

Please

&

Thank you heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 am
Ooooh! That sounds like a lot of fun!!! Here are some thing to get you started.

In terms of sewing, it's tough to get started! Be patient with yourself, and take it one step at a time. If you tips with that, let me know. I'd be happy to help!!!

Let's start with wings. That's something my friends and I have been experimenting with off and on. I'll try to post some reference tutorials in the tutorial section to supplement with what I post here.

To make the wings with cloth and wire, I've taken the wire hangers that you get from dry cleaners and bent those into the shape of the wings (or gravity-defying collar) that you want. Since you're going to be wearing these wings with either a harness or attached directly to your cosplay, I'd recommend braiding or twisting a couple of hangers together and running them down the center of the wings. This will add extra stability for the wings (especially if they're larger) and will give you an attachment point for the harness. I then trace that shape onto butcher paper or newspaper to make a pattern for my fabric. At this point you'll also want to make your harness. Measure the arm straps, and be sure to create slits for them to slide through. Use this as a pattern for your fabric, giving yourself a half and inch to an inch clearance for your seams and hem. Sew it around, leaving either the side or bottom open. Use a button stitch around the slits for your harness. At this point, attach your harness to the center wire frame we made earlier. Slide your wire frame into the fabric sleeve, pulling the arm straps through the slits. If you want your wings to look a bit stiffer, iron interfacing onto the fabric before you sew it together to create the sleeve. Once the wire frame is covered by your fabric, roll your open seams together and hand sew it together.

This is the inexpensive way to make wings. You can decorate or texture your wings pretty easily, and it's an easily modify-able method. I know that it can be a bit confusing to read, so let me know if you have questions.

To make Erza's feathered wings, you can use this method, and sew on either feathered fabric, fake feathers, or you can make your own feathers and sew them onto the base fabric.

For Tecna, you can use this style, but use a clear/opaque fabric or lightweight plastic. You can paint on it using stain-glass paint.

Hope that helps!!!!  

xinitia

Crew

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:19 am
Here's a bunch of wing tutorials to get you started. Let me know if you get stuck!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:43 pm
cardboard is your best friend that and duck tape and youtube
XD I am making a moving wing for a Sephiroth cosplay.
best way to make a cosplay is to get a sowing machine they are not hard to use I never learned to use one myself but I got one and I use it all the time the only thing you need to learn is how to thread it
Party City is a good place to get wigs if you don't want to buy online  

Nasky Holy Goddess

Sparkly Wolf

6,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

nena_sakura

Fashionable Detective

25,075 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 pm
Thanks a lot I will start experimenting on that.... Sorry for the late reply I was busy and then got sick .... I am fine now !

Thank you  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 am
nena_sakura
Thanks a lot I will start experimenting on that.... Sorry for the late reply I was busy and then got sick .... I am fine now !

Thank you

I'm glad you're feeling better! Let us know if you get stuck!!!  

xinitia

Crew

Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces