Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GIoom
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:19 pm
NinjaLifer
zombie punk
word i thought ska came out of jamaca after rock was exposed to them, and ska started as fast reggeea and eventually encorperated punk and rock

Thereʻs SOME truth to that statement....
ska came before reggae. So it's more accurate to say reggae is slow ska.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:36 pm
Crimson_And_Clover
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ska

Funny stuff, check it out.

cry I miss ASOB I miss the days of seeing Jay T standing on his keyboard and hanging from the ceiling I hate when bands "grow up" Although he didn't and his solo act is pretty good.

Hmm what else do I have to say about this topic... I would have to say the fall of ska would be the fact that kids no longer know how to dance there is no more skanking then they start moshing and hard core dancing to any thing its sad... If theres another thread a post like this belongs in I'll find it sorry I'm new.  

Kingshortpants

mikeybutt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:42 pm
King Of The Ska
girl_no_13
Parapluie
Alright, now I know for sure. Just about everytime I try to describe the history of ska to someone I tell them it's where reggae got it's roots and nobody believes but this is the third source that's said that.

how could people not believe that? For a start in lots of the early music you can hear it!

Easy. People=idiots.

highfive! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:29 pm
I did a whole research paper on Ska, and there is no verified story about how it started but there are many theories. The one I know is that a bunch of guys like Prince Buster were all Rastafarian and getting high and listening to crappy jazz and swing on the radio and said, "Hey lets make some of that" so they did and what happened was Ska. Also, people think they were looking for a new genre and the Jamaicans started their own genre based on the Cajun music mixed with American tunes of the time. Prince Buster is definately the King of Ska and Skatalites were probably one of the first major nerdcore bands around. EDIT :: about people saying Emo is dead and depressing HA! you don't know emo kids. Emo kids are SERIOUSLY the happiest people I've ever met, no ******** lie. Emo and goth people are essentially the same but I mean its different, idk. Also, emo people have gone thru so much s**t you don't even know. I don't care what you say, Emo kids go through tons of s**t, theyre bitter people and don't care what others think. Emo people be who they wanna be and aren't held back by what other people think. They dress and seem like they do to BE different. They don't wanna be associated with other people. Example: My old gf, her mom left her when she was like 3, her dads a total drunk and beats her, and her brother moved to LA to get the ******** away. So, you know, thats why they are different they're abused problemed kids and you shouldn't hate em for nothing but do what you want.  

MCS4evr0

Slag10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:41 pm
pretty sure that story is more bogus than Bill and Ted.... talk2hand

ska was a natural development stemming from american Rn'B and traditional Jamaican styles such as calypso and mento. prince buster might have been important to the early days of ska, but the inovators are typicaly agreed to be Laurel Aitken, Coxson Dodd, and the Skatalites.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:57 pm
Kingshortpants

Hmm what else do I have to say about this topic... I would have to say the fall of ska would be the fact that kids no longer know how to dance there is no more skanking then they start moshing and hard core dancing to any thing its sad... If theres another thread a post like this belongs in I'll find it sorry I'm new.

Some people started trying to mosh/hardcore dance in a skank circle during a ska show I was at once (RBF, LTJ, and Streetlight Manifesto) and they got major owned by all the skankers. It was incredible.  

Black Dragon Disciple

mist-ery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:13 am
hahaha kids just dont know when it comes to the music of ska moshing and hardcore dancing just wont work you can try but it dosnt fit,
but remember my good friends
if some one moshes in the circle dont get upset at them its not the rude thing to do just keep dancing and remember they just dont know better but they will learn.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm
mist-ery
hahaha kids just dont know when it comes to the music of ska moshing and hardcore dancing just wont work you can try but it dosnt fit,
but remember my good friends
if some one moshes in the circle dont get upset at them its not the rude thing to do just keep dancing and remember they just dont know better but they will learn.
its true and it does get annoying but you got to give them a chance and push them out of the way...jk no dont do that just try to keep away i shouldnt be talking because i get really pissed when they get like that at a ska show but ahh its cool  

bake_out

Maximillian Riese

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:10 am
If I could just learn how to skank well, it'd be so easier! But otherwise, I always seem to conjecture (If that's even the right word) The use of "Skank" as a noun. Whoever thought that idea should be hung by their.. "Extremities." And if that's not possible.. ... Then I ran out of ideas.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:21 pm
Slag10
pretty sure that story is more bogus than Bill and Ted.... talk2hand

ska was a natural development stemming from american Rn'B and traditional Jamaican styles such as calypso and mento. prince buster might have been important to the early days of ska, but the inovators are typicaly agreed to be Laurel Aitken, Coxson Dodd, and the Skatalites.

We have a winner everybody smile

That is easily the most correct thing posted yet whee  

King Of The Ska
Captain

Skavo

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:47 am
Maximillian Riese
If I could just learn how to skank well, it'd be so easier! But otherwise, I always seem to conjecture (If that's even the right word) The use of "Skank" as a noun. Whoever thought that idea should be hung by their.. "Extremities." And if that's not possible.. ... Then I ran out of ideas.

I found this. I was bored.
How to Skank
It made me laugh a little.
There is no real right way when it comes to skanking. I have seen many variationsover the years. Really, it is nothing more than kicking in rythym to the music.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 am
Shuck
Maximillian Riese

I found this. I was bored.
How to Skank
It made me laugh a little.
There is no real right way when it comes to skanking. I have seen many variationsover the years. Really, it is nothing more than kicking in rythym to the music.

Hehe, I've seen that before. I think there's a Fishbone (?) song that describes how to skank, too.
I kind of hippie skank 4laugh Lol, I smoke too much to kick a lot, so I just lift my knees & bounce around in semi-circles while swingin' my arms a bit xd

Ska Hippie

Onewing949

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 am
Crimson_And_Clover
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/ska

Funny stuff, check it out.

That was about the best thing that I have ever seen. I laughed so hard I fell on the floor.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 am
Wow, I've been schooled. It's nice to learn about my favorite type of music heart  

Suicide de saint

Rude Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces