Uziwa-nurisha - Das Tor
&
Almasi-tifu - Das Tor

Word Count: 1039 (according to Google Docs)

It had been hard for her when the Peponi-pya had dissolved, scattering its members to the winds. Almasi-tifu missed her family (ragtag and chaotic as it was), missed her warm sister, the sun to her moon, fire to her ice. But...the place she’d found, the strange lions in the evening mists, singing prayers and dancing to the rhythms of the earth, moon, and sun...she’d found herself drawn to them. Drawn to their vibrancy, their religion, their...everything. She found herself, a sometimes too-cold creature, welcomed with open paws and smiles. She found herself home, perhaps for good...finally.

Adjusting was...interesting, to say the least. They kept time a little differently, celebrated a little differently, and held a reverence to nature she’d only seen once before, in a pride far away where her heart had been broken by a mate disappearing. But the adjustments weren’t too hard to make. And Almasi had found herself at peace for the first time in a long, long time. She felt warm, more often than not. Not in a ‘melting’ sort of way, but...warm. She found it easier to feel, to express, to relate to others. Though one lion in the pride seemed to turn that topsy-turvy at ti-

“I didn’t think I’d see you here, Almasi.” The lioness was startled from her reverie beside the river, head turning quickly to sight the source of the voice she knew so very well. Uziwa-nurisha smiled brightly at her, causing her cheeks to feel hot and her mind to wander a bit, to wonder ‘what if?’. “How are you doing? Has Father Earth been kind to you in your hunts?” The lioness nodded, returning his smile with a small, awkward one. Smiling was something she was still getting used to.

“He has been, yes. I’ve been...well enough. You?” Oh if she could figure out what better to say. She was somehow always robbed of full use of her sense when he was around, and she couldn’t figure out why! Even her once-mate hadn’t done that to her! It was...frustrating, but not in a way that angered her. Uziwa laughed and moved to sit beside her, his bulk a little more than hers.

“I’ve been quite well! Samhain is nearing, and my children and I have been settling here well! The mists and river and waterfall suit us well, as does the pride itself. It’s been wonderful here…” He took a deep breath, breathing in the mist rising from the river. “I’m glad Viwimbi’s dreams led us here.” Almasi nodded, looking to the water and trying to will the heat in her cheeks to go away.

“I am glad for it as well. Your company...is always appreciated. Even if it seems to not be at times.” Even if she wasn’t always the best conversation partner. Or seemed a little cold. Uziwa blinked, then chuckled, nodding.

“Your company is appreciated as well! You’re much sweeter than you seem at first, you know? And you care about others in your own way. It would be nice if more could see that.” He reached a paw out and nudged her. “You can relax around me, you know?” Almasi’s head snapped towards him again, pale eyes a bit wide.

“How…”

“You kind of...tense around me. It’s not a big thing, but I did notice it after I realized what I was looking at. You’re...not used to having a friend, are you?” She blinked, then shook her head. And Uziwa’s smile was bright again. “Well, we’re friends, if you’d like, so the first lesson is ‘take a deep breath and relaaaax’.” He closed his eyes as he inhaled deeply, then exhaled and seemed to let out any tenseness with the breath. “Like that.”

Almasi took a deep breath in, eyes closing with the effort. And then she breathed out a little too quickly. Uziwa chuckled, patting her on the back. “It’s a good start. See how it helps, though?” She nodded, a little startled by the bit of relaxation she’d gotten by the breathing.

“It...does help.” She raised a brow at him. “Where did you learn that?” The lion chuckled, amused by her.

“My father. And he learned it from my mother. And now...you know it. And I certainly didn’t mind teaching you about it.” Almasi couldn’t help but smile back at him, some of the awkwardness softening at the corners of her mouth.

“Thank you, Uziwa. It...it was a lesson appreciated.” It really had been. She was...well, she was tense more often than she liked to admit. Though his damned disarming smile didn’t help. “Would you...perhaps be interested in joining me hunting later?” The blue lion nodded.

“I would be. I’d like to see how you hunt. I’ve worked with every other hunter but you. I’m certain you’re amazing.” And the heat in her cheeks returned full force.

“I...do not think I am amazing. But I do have some skill. One has to, to survive on their own. And I did for a time.” It had been a lonely time...especially after she’d lost her mate...She didn’t even know what had happened to Bahati…

“You’re home now, Almasi-tifu.” She startled a bit at Uziwa’s voice, looking to him again. There was worry on his face, worry that faded when she nodded at him.

“Yes...yes I am. And I am glad to be home. So very glad.” She took another deep breath, eyes closing again. She was home, and this pride, even if they lost members, wasn’t going anywhere. This pride was steady, and sturdy, and founded for all the right reasons. And she’d come here because it was a home, not for the promise of love. If she one day found that? Wonderful. Otherwise...she was happy. Content.

Uziwa nudged her shoulder, and she opened her eyes to his brilliant smile once more.

“Come on. Why don’t we go hunting now, then offer gifts of thanks to the gods?” Almasi stood and nodded.

“Yes. That is a good idea. A very good idea.” The two started for the area both knew the best hunting was in. It was a good day to hunt.