Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Alternative Lifestyles Guild

Back to Guilds

A safe place for anyone who identifies with the LGBTQ(IP) community and their allies. 

Tags: lesbian, gays, queer, transgender, LGBT 

Reply 06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling
What Would You Do?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Dark Side of Desire

4,975 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:45 pm
TL;DR The man I'm planning on marrying cheated on me with 13 men he met on Craigslist

Okay people, I may rant a little here, but it has been on my mind for a few months now. I've been with this guy for 3 years, and have been engaged with him since 2012. Early in the relationship, he confessed to me that he was bisexual, which I obviously accepted, as I can relate wink
Things were going way too well for us, and all that good stuff, when a few months ago, in May, we decided we were going to get married within a few weeks. But then he told me that before we got married, there was something he had to tell me.
For a long time, he was struggling with his sexuality. He had led me to believe that he was really just bi-curious, but he preferred girls, and above all those girls, he preferred me. But apparently, at some point, his resolve started to waver, and he says he was always thinking about 'What would I do if she and I got married, had kids, and I realized I actually wanted to be with a man?' is I guess the gist of it. Unlike me, he has a really uptight family, and he never got to experiment and come to terms with his sexuality, and I guess in making the choice to be with me, he freaked out, got on Craigslist and met up with 13 other guys (at different points over the course of the year) and slept with all of them. He told me about it, crying, saying he was just confused and all that, but now suddenly, he just wants to be with me, he never felt anything for the dozen or so guys, and he claims he'll never slip up and do it again. I want to believe him, I want to trust him, and as a bi-sexual, I know what it's like to be confused, and not be sure if you're dating someone because that's what's expected of you, or because that's who you are. But I figured my s**t out in high school, and I never cheated on someone to get to this point.
I know I'm rambling, but if anyone followed this, has anything like this happened to you, or what would you do if it was you? I don't want to leave him just because he was having an identity crisis, and I do love him, and want to support him through finding himself (as long as he doesn't do it that way again) but at the same time, I think maybe he's just making a B.S excuse, and/or might do it again....
In summery, what should I follow, my heart, or my ego?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:06 pm
Most importantly I think you would want to have him take a test to make sure he doesn't have any STDs or other diseases before anything else. Make sure both of you stay safe if he truly intends on being faithful from now on... If he did catch anything you'll want to find out sooner than later and get it straightened out ASAP. Thirteen people is quite a number, and you definitely shouldn't overlook the possibility of a disease.

The rest is up to you. If you trust him, be with him... But don't let him do it to you again. It doesn't matter what sexuality you fall under, if you tell someone you want to be with them exclusively then you should be faithful to them. If he finds out later that he is gay or would rather be with men, let him go... It's not his fault for feeling that way, as I'm sure you understand. Best of luck!

Cosmic Jirachi

Timid Star

11,075 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Timid 100

you are my disease

Beloved Enabler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:17 pm
This is a hard situation to be in.

For me, I think I would postpone the wedding for a bit and give ourselves some time to work things out. I think that setting up some guidelines would be a good way to start. ie: When he gets these urges to be with a man, what is acceptable, what is not.

I am studying to be a psychologist so my initial response would be to figure out with him what he is looking for when he is sleeping with men, vs what he is looking for when he is sleeping with me. Is it just the stimulation, is it emotional, is it something else? Once that is figured out, then I would take it from there. Try to fill the need or decided whether to end the relationship  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:30 pm
Oh man, tough call. I mean, if what he says is true, I understand where he was coming from, but at the same time, I don't know if you can really trust him to never do so again. However, if you DO, I think Jazz is right in that he should probably have testing done.  

Vanessa1985

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

6,550 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Clambake 200
06. "Life Issues" - Advice & Counseling

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items