Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
What are you doing for Halloween?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:47 pm
Hi Everyone,

I happen to be born on Halloween and I Love everything about it. I do realize that many countries don't celebrate it but if you do what are your plans for it. I'm going to Youmacon 2014 in Detroit Michigan which happens around Halloween. This year I'm going to the convention dressed up in my Celtic Cleric Cosplay outfit.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:03 pm
I am skipping my schools homecoming and cosplaying as yuno gasi heart  

Amano Yuno

1,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:54 am
Amano Yuno
I am skipping my schools homecoming and cosplaying as yuno gasi heart

Missing Homecoming is quite a sacrifice for some people due to the popularity and glamor of the event. From what I've heard at some schools Homecoming is similar to going to Prom. Yuno Gasi sounds like a cool cosplay outfit. Have fun wearing it. Are you going to a Halloween party or a convention wearing your outfit?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:38 pm
Odds are, I'm going to be working, so... *shrug*  

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

xinitia

Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:42 pm
...I really have no idea what I'm going to be doing. I usually throw a big Halloween Party, but this year I might be moving. If I am, I'm totally going to be in costume as I move! It'll make a good impression on the neighbors! whee  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 pm
I'll be working, buuut I work in a mall, and the admins like having everyone dressed up so that kids can go trick-or-treating in the stores.

So im gonna be cosplaying Astrid, from how to train your dragon 2.

at least thats the plan, im still working on her.  

Pixie_Moyra

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:55 am
Pixie_Moyra
I'll be working, buuut I work in a mall, and the admins like having everyone dressed up so that kids can go trick-or-treating in the stores.

I Love the movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2. It's got to be cool to be able to Cosplay Astrid. I know that you will be popular with the kids where you work. Even I will be working on Halloween itself which is my birthday. I make up for that by celebrating Halloween all month long. smile Have fun passing out the candy. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:30 am
smithers456
Pixie_Moyra

I Love the movie, How to Train Your Dragon 2. It's got to be cool to be able to Cosplay Astrid. I know that you will be popular with the kids where you work. Even I will be working on Halloween itself which is my birthday. I make up for that by celebrating Halloween all month long. smile Have fun passing out the candy. smile

I think most of us celebrate Halloween all month (year) long. After all, its the one time of the year that normal people join the cosplayer ranks!  

xinitia

Crew

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:12 am
☯★

Does anyone have any photos of their Halloween Costume?! (:

★☯

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:37 am
Starz-N-Madness
☯★

Does anyone have any photos of their Halloween Costume?! (:

★☯

I already posted this photo in the Photo Sub Forum. Since Youmacon 2015 was on my birthday my outfit doubles as my Halloween Costume. smile

User Image
Cosplayer Kyari Cloudcakes - Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon Original 1st Season,
Ron Cauvin - Cosplayer Smithers456 - Syaoran - Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles,
Kyari Cloudcakes Queen Serenity Photoshoot,
Youmacon 2015, Renaissance Center Wintergarden area, Downtown Detroit, Michigan

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm
My answer is literally nothing.

As odd as it may sound coming from a cosplayer, I don't actually celebrate Halloween. Never have. Never will. It's a family thing and partly a religious thing. As a cosplayer, I feel that there is the rest of the year to cosplay at conventons or just for fun days, not just for one day. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin my cosplays with blood or cutting them up to look like a zombie or something. XD

That said, I'm not going to hate others for dressing up or cosplaying for Halloween. I still do appreciate all kinds of cosplays, no matter the time of year. I've got friends who cosplay for Halloween. smile

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:30 am
KayaLing

As odd as it may sound coming from a cosplayer, I don't actually celebrate Halloween. Never have. Never will. It's a family thing and partly a religious thing. As a cosplayer, I feel that there is the rest of the year to cosplay at conventons or just for fun days, not just for one day. Besides, I wouldn't want to ruin my cosplays with blood or cutting them up to look like a zombie or something. XD

That said, I'm not going to hate others for dressing up or cosplaying for Halloween. I still do appreciate all kinds of cosplays, no matter the time of year. I've got friends who cosplay for Halloween. smile

It's not odd at all. Many people don't celebrate Halloween for a number of reasons. Being Catholic and born on Halloween has always put me in a tough spot. At my church they ask at the beginning of mass if anyone is celebrating a birthday. One time when I said that my birthday was on Halloween you could have heard a pin drop from the silence that followed. Many look at Halloween as a Pagan Feast Day and a taboo to celebrate it.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's like many kids in the United States I looked forward to dressing up in Halloween Costumes and going door to door "trick - or - treating". Afterwards I would enjoy the candy that I got. For many it was one of the fun days of the year. During that time I wondered why people would wear costumes only once a year.

Halloween became very commercialized in the decades that followed. "Store bought" Costumes became expensive, lots of candy lined the store shelves everywhere, both adult and kid parties became the in thing to do, and many horror movies came out around that time to watch and buy. Gone were the days of making your own costumes, "trick - or - treating" became dangerous to do, and people stress out about what costume to buy to go to a party. For many the fun of celebrating Halloween was gone.

Then I discovered Cosplay and the joy of wearing costumes for the fun of it came back. Costume wearing was no longer for just one day. For me going to a convention is magical. I get to see Cosplayers dressed up as their favorite characters from Anime / Manga, Disney, DC / Marvel Comics, video games, and so much more. I marvel at the effort that Cosplayers put into making their outfits no matter what level they are at.

Being a photographer Cosplay opened up a new door for me. Not only do I enjoy seeing people dressed up in their Cosplay Outfits anytime of the year I get to share my joy with others through Cosplay photography. I still celebrate my Halloween birthday but I celebrate Cosplay everyday!!

Some people wonder why I help run a Guild at my age (52 years young) that deals with what they think is kids stuff. For me Anime, Manga, Cosplay, and being an Otaku is not just for kids but for everyone.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

KayaLing

Vice Captain

Interesting Gaian

13,540 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:54 pm
smithers456
KayaLing

It's not odd at all. Many people don't celebrate Halloween for a number of reasons. Being Catholic and born on Halloween has always put me in a tough spot. At my church they ask at the beginning of mass if anyone is celebrating a birthday. One time when I said that my birthday was on Halloween you could have heard a pin drop from the silence that followed. Many look at Halloween as a Pagan Feast Day and a taboo to celebrate it.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's like many kids in the United States I looked forward to dressing up in Halloween Costumes and going door to door "trick - or - treating". Afterwards I would enjoy the candy that I got. For many it was one of the fun days of the year. During that time I wondered why people would wear costumes only once a year.

Halloween became very commercialized in the decades that followed. "Store bought" Costumes became expensive, lots of candy lined the store shelves everywhere, both adult and kid parties became the in thing to do, and many horror movies came out around that time to watch and buy. Gone were the days of making your own costumes, "trick - or - treating" became dangerous to do, and people stress out about what costume to buy to go to a party. For many the fun of celebrating Halloween was gone.

Then I discovered Cosplay and the joy of wearing costumes for the fun of it came back. Costume wearing was no longer for just one day. For me going to a convention is magical. I get to see Cosplayers dressed up as their favorite characters from Anime / Manga, Disney, DC / Marvel Comics, video games, and so much more. I marvel at the effort that Cosplayers put into making their outfits no matter what level they are at.

Being a photographer Cosplay opened up a new door for me. Not only do I enjoy seeing people dressed up in their Cosplay Outfits anytime of the year I get to share my joy with others through Cosplay photography. I still celebrate my Halloween birthday but I celebrate Cosplay everyday!!

Some people wonder why I help run a Guild at my age (52 years young) that deals with what they think is kids stuff. For me Anime, Manga, Cosplay, and being an Otaku is not just for kids but for everyone.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I haven't met other cosplayers who don't celebrate Halloween like me. That or I'm not aware of those cosplayers. ^^;;

Yeah, it's a bit of a sham that certain holidays are now more commercialized. D:

I agree with you that cosplay is fun any time of the year. I like meeting cosplayers from series that I'm into. Sometimes, I come across people, who cosplay from old series that I like, and it makes me happy to see someone cosplay from that series. Just brightens up my cosplay and convention experience actually.

That's right. Anime, manga, cosplay, and Otaku-ness is pretty much for everyone. ^_^ Those people should really consider the many different genres within anime/manga like they do with movies/TV shows OR how cosplay teaches you how to budget, time management, networking, and critical thinking just like everyday life does.

Miscellaneous Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games