[PRP] Future Proofing (Azar and Hraga)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 am
Days had shifted into weeks, passing into the dust of memories that Azar'bijan would wish that he'd never had. His life was full of them, hidden in the dark recesses of his mind; waiting to surface when he let down his guard. In his first fevered dreams they had snapped at him like crocodiles, dragging him down beneath the surface by his heels, leaving him screaming soundlessly - Kiu's wavering image just out of reach--

--always out of reach.

In time, the burning fever had been replaced with the aches of healing wounds; so many that he had no way of counting them. Walking was difficult and set cuts to bursting, leaving him stranded in the medic dens for a tormenting amount of time. In the early days, even talking to the guards about their patrols had brought him no respite. Only anger. Only jealousy. Only the need for vengeance. Those foul wretches had seen fit to attack his people and more than likely had killed Niu whilst she was out on patrol. And as new as she was to the pride, it was likely that no one even cared she was gone. Maybe he was the only one who noticed...

Still, the worst of the days were behind him now and since he'd been released from the medic dens and deposited in his own den, his mood had improved a little - if only because he could move around without being snapped at to 'be careful'. That didn't mean he was without his 'cubsitters', however. Heti and Kerra were always lurking close and even Shaak seemed to be making additional reports now that she knew he had been relocated. Speaking of which, she was sat just across from him now, listing those heading out on patrol in her usual matter-of-fact voice.

"I know what you're doing," he interrupted her rudely.

She blinked at him for a moment and then, briefly, showed just the hint of a smile. "I cannot say that I grasp your meaning."

"Heti put you up to this." Azar continued as if she hadn't replied. "Well, as you can see, I'm no longer an invalid. I'll be back on patrol this time next week, so you can go and fuss around someone who needs it."

"Do you not find my report useful?" she asked, unfazed by his curt manner.

"No. So how about you leave me in peace?"

She gathered her paws beneath her and dipped her head politely, "as you wish."

He watched her go with narrowed eyes, irritated by her refusal to be baited by him. He didn't want calm responses to his retorts; he wanted fire, he wanted to fight and yell and stamp his paws until everything returned to how it should be. Still, it wasn't all bad, he supposed. The last few days had been spent thinking (or perhaps it was obsessing) over climbing the ranks. He should have been promoted to Captain long ago and now, at long last, he had the time to think about it as well as consider what he would do differently from the Captains already in position. There were things he knew that he did want. He wanted the best. No lazy louts who weren't focused on the job. He also wanted to mix things up a little - include lions that might otherwise have just gone on their merry way.

With a long, exhaled breath, he gingerly lowered himself to his stomach - astride sand cooled by the shade of his den - and contemplated.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:27 am
Unfortunately, it didn't seem as though rest would come so easily for Azar.

As Shaak walked out of the medical dens, Hraga strolled in. The young lion smiled and offered a nod as he stepped out of her way to let her through. Once she was clear, he continued on into the small alcove where Azar sat in contemplation. It wasn't exactly a secret that Azar had taken the attack personally. They all did, he supposed.

But some more than most. Hraga trained what he hoped was a familiar smile and walked into the depths. "Azar," he said in greeting. Before he could be shoed out, the black lion sat back down upon his haunches. "I had a break between patrols. Thought I would stop by."

Knowing that his mentor held his pride in high regard, he added: "What with you returning to duty shortly."

Mimsey

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:39 am
Well wasn't he popular today...

With a huff of exasperation, Azar'bijan leveled his gaze at the approaching lion and gave a low snort in response. The day of patrolling could not come soon enough and for it to be so close and yet just out of reach was just a touch frustrating.

"Actually, I'm glad you did. It's about time I had someone useful come to visit me. Between Heti and Shaak I'm about ready to give this place the slip." He pulled himself back up into a sitting position, trying not to appear as awkward and slow as he felt.

"Ok, I need your opinion. Do you think now is a good time to rally for a promotion to Captain?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 am

The young lion seemed pleased, even perhaps a touch relieved to find that his company was welcome. Not that he had been about to relinquish it had it not. "I wouldn't recommend it," he said, his eyes rolling towards some of the side dens and wings. "My sister runs this place with more scrutiny than a barracks. You'd probably find yourself with a migraine once she tracked you down."

Hraga kept his voice low as he said it. Ea's hearing, and seemingly unnatural perception, was somewhat legendary.

As for the matter of promotion, Hraga did seem to give it legitimate consideration. He shook his mane out, kicking loose some sand that still lingered from a long day's travel. "Well, you wear the scars of conflict. That always goes over well with the others. And you certainly have my respect."

"If you wish to be captain, I would say now is as good a time as any. Everyone still is on high alarm. I don't doubt they are considering strengthening the ranks. But..." His tail pulsed once, delaying a thought. But only for a moment. "I wouldn't mention it until you have a few patrols under you and the wounds have healed."

"So it doesn't look like an immediate reaction to the attack, I mean." Azar had been known for being hotheaded.

Mimsey

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:42 am
"Your sister is more frightening than any soldier I ever faced." Azar agreed solemnly - no hint of a joke at all in his tone or expression. She was the only reason he had stayed put when everything in him had been telling him to get up and go.

His reaction to the rest of Hraga was a mixed one. It was no secret that he appreciated Hraga's advice and companionship - a good turn out considering how they had first met - and yet he was clearly impatient. How long would he have to wait before it didn't seem like he was going out on some sort of vengeance attack? After all...that wasn't the only reason he was doing this. Sure, he wanted to make certain they were there if the Nergui came sniffing again but he also wanted to do it for the pride's protection and for his own self-esteem.

"I hate it when you're being smart," he scoffed at last, shifting his weight onto one hip. "I guess this does warrant proper planning, though. Can't just rush this through in a day, especially with the changes I want to implement."

He paused, considered for a moment, and then: "I want to change the way captains run their teams. I want us to be the best." Clearly he'd already selected Hraga as his first honourary member. "I can count on you, right?"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Hraga winced away a laugh, although his success was marginal at best. Hopefully the wayward medic would not find herself within earshot. "I would not disagree with you on that. She made an equally terrifying babysitter."

Perhaps spurned by the thought of his sister lurking in the shadows or to show Azar that he took his conspiring seriously, he stood up and approached a bit closer. A smile quirked across his face. "I won't pretend to have a lot of sense, but sometimes it does visit. Just wait enough to get those patrols in and for strength to return. It makes a good show of things, and you won't seem impatient."

Hraga did know a thing or two about impatience.

The black lion's brows raised as Azar continued to speak, dictating his suggested changes. Perhaps an older lion would have drew caution, but Hraga still very much considered himself Azar's student. "Of course," he replied earnestly. "I'll back whatever it is you need."

But maybe he should find out exactly what that'd be first. "What sort of changes were you thinking?"

Mimsey

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am
He wanted to respond that he was impatient, but held his tongue for perhaps the first time in his life. They could argue about how soon to broach this plan later. First, details needed working and it was likely that they would take some time, in any case.

"Good," he responded as if he had never expected any other response.

"Ok, so, it's all well and good having a team of well-trained guards on our side, but ultimately guards are only good at what they do. We can move in close, defend an area, cut off the enemy to keep the soldiers from being swarmed. It makes us dangerous but it also leaves weakness." He set his jaw momentarily, thinking hard a moment.

"If five guards are out on patrol and are attacked by an equal amount of Nergui, there will be injuries and confusion and they will be far from the heart of the pride. Now, lets say that, alongside the guards, we could recruit a medic or two to come out on the field with us and a tracker to help warn of any dangers, would this not make a team more efficient?" He shook his head, unsure if he was explaining this well, "if we had medics, trained for combat as well, that could act hastily, we might be able to treat a lion who would otherwise die out there."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:02 am
Hraga inclined his head thoughtfully, sparing a moment's glance towards the darkened hallways of the medical wards. "It certainly couldn't hurt," he said. "Officially speaking, they should be at least trained in basic combat. Although I know that hasn't always been held fast."

He exhaled, a puff of dry air stirring before him. "The problem will be finding medics who are willing to drill. And, convincing the other medics to release some of their apprentices. There might be a few who would think you are trying to poach some impressionable youths for the guard."

Hraga turned back, a smile back on his face. "But, I do think such a change would be able to get support. What else did you have in mind?"

Mimsey

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:12 pm
"Pah, most of them are lazy, cowardly cretins," Azar declared in a voice that was far too loud considering where they currently were. "We'll have to root out the good ones. The last thing we want is dead weight on our team. They're supposed to make things better, not worse."

He frowned, shifted his weight again and crossed his forepaws - one over the other. "We have good guards already, though I wouldn't turn talent away. But we'll need a few who are willing to drill with us so that they can rotate in and out on shifts as we do." He growled under his breath, "I suppose there could be some compromise. Maybe a guard could train under a medic for a while and bring that knowledge with him on patrol." He shook his head, "but those are details and they can wait for another time."

And, to Hraga's last question he replied, "not much else. You have any bright ideas you want to share?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:55 am
Hraga opted not to answer that comment. Even when his sister wasn't within earshot, she had an eerie habit of somehow finding out whenever someone might have slighted her or her kind. He did agree about finding the ones most suited to the task, however. "There should be some who long to use their skills in a more direct manner. During the war games, we had more than a few eager medics sign on. It was just for training, but perhaps it might have sparked an interest."

"Cross training is another good option. Although a bit trickier, as most of the medics stationed here don't like busy bodies," he frowned, his ears pressing flat against his black mane. "If you think you can put forward some good potentials among the apprentices, we could perhaps encourage them to train in both. They'd be less cumbersome than a group of guards."

As for his own thoughts...he leaned back, thinking. "Faster runners. Or perhaps more birds we can train. The desert is what keeps us from direct threats, but whenever we have patrols out there's often miles between them and the nearest group. And sometimes many miles beyond that to the pride. We should have a better line of communication set up."

Mimsey

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 pm
That was true enough. The war games had attracted Firekin from a surprising array of backgrounds which meant that there were at least some who would be willing to step up and play a bigger part in the protection of the pride. Nodding as Hraga spoke, his face was taut from a heavy frown.

"I don't like relying on non-lions, but you have a point. By wing, we can send messages far and wide and with little risk. I'll have a think on it and see what we can do. The desert life isn't cut out for all of those fragile, feathery beasts." Still, it was a good idea and, though it might take time to implement, would be worth it in the end. Some of the Firekin already had their avian familiars. Perhaps these could advertise to any other local egg-layers and bring in some new talent.

"Well, we've got our plan. We just need to refine how it is presented and I'm sure we'll become the most famous team in the Firekin." He snorted, smug. "I think we'll be making history in no time at all."

/fin

[IC] Motoujamii-Simo Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff