Welcome to Gaia! ::

The School of Dedicated Roleplayers [closed]

Back to Guilds

A general roleplay guild with emphasis on improving RPers. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Tutoring, School, School of Dedicated Role Players, RPing 

Reply The School of Dedicated Role Players
Searching for OC One-on-One

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Omniscient Muse

Wheezing Genius

16,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:46 pm
Hello everyone! I'm an old member, resurfaced from the dead, or something like that. I'm frequently busy these days and don't know if I'm ready to join in any group rps, but I've done extensive one-on-ones over the years and I'm looking for anyone who might be interested in doing one with me.

First and foremost: I am looking only for RP partners who are 18+ years old. I am a college student, myself, and do not feel comfortable rping one-on-one with people who are considerably younger than me.

What I don't do:
-School rps, slice of life, etc. I tend to avoid more mundane settings.

-Fandom RPs... typically. The only fandom I'm in is Welcome to Night Vale, if you wanted to RP that, you can ask, but any other fandoms--I'm not familiar enough with the characters to rp them, sorry!

-Incest, *****, rape/non-con, basically gross things like that are not okay.

What I do:
-Original character RP.

-Semi-literate to literate. I don't enjoy 1-2 sentence posts, but a paragraph is fine (5-7 sentences-ish).

-I'll play any gender character, doesn't matter to me.

-Modern fantasy, high fantasy, science fiction (dystopian, alternate realities, etc), steampunk, dieselpunk, cyberpunk. Anything and everything is great as long as it's engaging enough to keep a strong plot going.

-Any kind of pairing. M/F, M/M, F/F, ?/?/?, etc. Obviously, because of Gaia's rules, relationships will stay PG 13, but I'm pretty open to any configuration of partners, and any gender identities for characters.

-I am very, very bad at doing one-character-on-one-character rps. If you have one single character, that's fine--but I'm going to probably be the one occupying all the NPC roles, and throwing in little side-characters here and there. I like to keep a world populated.

-With that said, I have a number of very developed worlds of mine to RP in. I don't do forced plots; generally I'll give a setting and define a time and social temperature and let things bloom from there. I will generally function as the leader in an RP, because I'm handling NPC interactions and outside events, but starting an RP with me doesn't come with a script. It's all improvised and takes whatever form it takes.

If you are interested, please PM me or quote me so I'll know to respond.

See settings below.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:39 am
Setting examples:

I'll start with my most sci-fi settings, down to my most fantasy at the bottom.

Tenova
Very much a dystopian sci-fi sort of setting, Tenova is a city besieged by constant war... with itself. With a chasm between the rich and the poor, constant uprisings and rebellions at the hands of the poor keep the rich from being able to ever settle down or feel safe at home. The rebellion is spearheaded by an individual or organization under the fictitious alias of "Horus", believed by some to be a technological God, and by others to be a group of slaves risen to a position of power. Surrounded by propaganda from both sides of the war, individuals who aren't quite rich and aren't quite poor often have to make a choice: do they side with the power of money, or the power of sheer numbers?
-Possible to RP either on the rich side or poor side of the war, and in either scenario, the resistance movement is likely to be encountered.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: robots, AI, cyborgs, time travel, augmented reality, etc. Characters of any age work.
-Setting won't probably work with: magic, non-human characters.

Acrasia:
Definitely my most lighthearted sci-fi setting, Acrasia is a land of music and art and irresponsible lifestyle choices. People are implanted with computers in their heads so they can start their consumption of media when they're young; surprisingly, this doesn't really lead to much of a dystopian horror story. Everyone's far too busy partying it up, celebrating everything from changes in the seasons to holidays they just made up for the fun of it. And nobody celebrates better than the mysterious celebrity Bell, faceless composer who hides away from the public eye and composes beautiful scores of music that are known the world around.
-Can be totally focused on music/art type topics and just hanging out with characters that are more involved in the art scene of Acrasia. Can also heavily involve the sci-fi elements, the computers in people's heads, as well as AIs and other tech. Can involve both. It's a pretty lively time.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: Robots, cyborgs, AIs, augmented reality, basically any kind of tech advances imaginable, limited magic (telepathy or similar; not highly visible things like pyromancy etc), humanoid non-humans. Characters of any age work.
-Setting won't probably work with: extremely alien characters, highly visible magics.

Bellepoint:
Bellepoint is a city located up on stilts, seemingly floating high in the sky above the rest of the world. Created years ago by some fool with an ambition to leave the "lesser" world behind, the city has since become corrupted and unsafe. A large facility referred to colloquially as "Hell" is notorious for kidnapping children and doing.... what with them exactly? Nobody is entirely sure. Rumors have it that the children who are taken into there are experimented on, tortured, often killed, but nobody has ever gotten out... or have they?
-Possible to RP both on the streets of Bellepoint and in the halls of the facility, open to moving from one to the other in either direction.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: magic, humanoid non-human characters, younger characters (children up through teenagers).
-Setting won't probably work with: extremely alien characters, older characters, robots/AIs.

Eastmoor:
Taking place in a portside town, this setting is heavily steampunk-influenced, and offers a few different opportunities for steampunk goodness. On the one hand, there's the group of mismatched scientists seeking out a means to travel through time, whatever risks that entails as they play with their inventions. Elsewhere in the same town lives the daughter of a wealthy traveling merchant, brought up to be somebody's housewife someday, but oh, doesn't it sound entirely more fun to play with machines? There are also opportunities for magical steampunk, with a young boy who lives on the outskirts of town and works in taxidermy, creating monstrosities of brass and fur and bringing them to life as companions. So many options, so little time.
-I just listed the three main options. There is of course plenty of room for crossover between the groups as well; for example, several of them know each other even though they don't fit into the same basic central 'plot'.
-There's also a hidden bonus in town if you're into Sweeney Todd and ever wanted your character to eat people meat pies.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: magic, steampunk tech advancements (cyborgs/robots okay, but explanation should fit the tech). Characters of any age work.
-Setting won't probably work with: non-human characters, non-steampunk tech.

Cascabel:
As a small desert town in the middle of nowhere, Cascabel is of course the first place to set a murder mystery. Except the murders aren't a mystery. Everybody knows that the town's resident necromancer has been picking off citizens for years, and yet they accept it with a sort of unenthusiastic surrender, never trying to change the way things have become. Most people in town don't know any magic, but really, what might have been different if they did?
-You can befriend the necromancer if you want, he's totally friendly, but he'll also try to kill you if that's what works better. There are a number of other characters to befriend as well, in lieu of immediately running into someone of the creepy murdering sort.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: magic, minor tech advancements (should be fairly unnoticeable, visually, but I do have a cyborg character in this setting so it's definitely chill), humanoid non-humans. Probably best to not use small children, teenagers or older are good.
-Setting won't probably work with: extremely alien characters, very obvious tech advancements.

Merriston:
Merriston is a welcoming town for people of all different kinds. Magic? Nonmagic? Nonhuman? Neat. As long as you don't cause trouble for others, they won't cause trouble for you. Of course, this all becomes rather strained when a child comes in one day who really does risk the safety of others, and really, really doesn't mean it. Gifted with a bizarre and pervasive magic, when the kid shows up in town, suddenly everything's turning green, and it's annoying at best to keep all the vibrant plant life trimmed while he's around.
-Has a sort of 'rural town' vibe. Markets take place outside with wares sold out of big wooden carts, people have large yards and small houses, there are cars but think early 1900's at best. The tech here is a bit older than many other settings.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: magic, non-human characters. Characters of any age work.
-Setting won't probably work with: tech advancements, extremely alien characters.

Somnia:
Finally, my most dramatically fantastical setting: a literal dream realm. Created some endless time ago by an entity known only as the Nightmare King, and known to very few, Somnia rests under the protective watch of a monstrous, giant man who would claim himself the Dream King and claim dominion over all dreamers. What he doesn't know is that his nameless, beaten down son has an ace up his sleeve: a child of his own who has escaped into the real world to grow up unfettered by his grandfather's oppressive rules and reign.
-Special note for this world: Think dream logic, fairytale logic, etc. Those things are true now. A character experiences heartbreak? Now their actual, physical heart is damaged (not fatal at least). Shooting stars actually fall from the sky. The weather can change to suit the King's moods. Etc. It's great for getting creative, but can get difficult to navigate if this fact goes unnoticed.
-Second note: Yes. The Dream King is technically a god, although a very mortal one. If the existence of a character that can control the realm bothers you, this setting is not going to work.
-Setting is friendly to the use of: magic, non-human characters (even extremely alien), sci-fi tech, etc, etc, etc.
-Setting won't probably work with: ...there's basically nothing that strikes me as counter to this setting.

and that is.... phew. Not all of them, but a sampling that I think covers some of my more notable settings, with some little tidbits thrown in to suggest possible starting points for plots. I am open to whatever sort of plots people imagine might work in these settings. I personally prefer Tenova, Acrasia, and Somnia above the others, as they're a little more dramatic and I enjoy my dramatic flair. But all of these are open and I'll rp any of them.

If anyone is interested in rping with me, again, please quote me or PM me, so I can respond right away.  

Omniscient Muse

Wheezing Genius

16,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100

Omniscient Muse

Wheezing Genius

16,725 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 am
Writing examples:

I can really run the gambit of anywhere from very serious narration to lighthearted and comical, depending on the appropriateness to the situation.

Some example posts from old RPs:

The young man jumps a little at the appearance of the stone skipping across the surface of the river; it snaps him out of his reverie. He looks up, bewildered, and notices the girl wading in the river for the first time, but he makes no attempt to speak. Instead, he starts forming a series of vague, noncommital hand gestures like he isn't even sure if he ought to bother trying to communicate or not; to anyone familiar, it would be instantly obvious that the young man is communicating in sign language. Not having heard her approach, it's no wonder her skipping rock startled him.
In the few moments that he's been sitting by the edge of the stream, it seems the bank has gotten a little more...lush. A little more grassy, around him. A few little flowers are scattered here and there in the new growth. The plants have sprouted up unnaturally fast, and yet at the same time, appear completely real. From a distance, at least. To know for sure, one would have to come closer, and perhaps walking across the river wouldn't be so well advised, as it dips deeper than just a few feet, in the middle.

Their thieving competition will only end in disaster, as the girl attempt to heist a literal cheese wheel...why a cheese wheel? Who bloody knows, but as she tries it, she's looking straight at her competitor with a grand smirk on her face. So very proud of herself that she forgets herself: in the process of doing this, she accidentally drops an earlier acquisition. And someone looks over. ....busted.
Suddenly the market is alive with yelling and people now going after both thieves with a vengeance--apparently her staring at him accidentally connected the two of them, in the eyes of onlookers...sorry buddy. While most are distracted with trying to grab the girl as she tries to slip away from the scene, a middle-aged man does indeed make a grab for the boy, calling out curses at him for all of the horrors that he's probably done. Since, y'know, he's a thief, and thieves are horrible, terrible people.

It's a hot day in Cascabel...well, no sh*t, Sherlock. It's always a hot day in Cascabel, it's a desert town. Way to expect it to not be a hot day in a desert town. Anyway, it's a pretty run down town, lots of peeling paint all over the place, cracked sidewalks, potholes in the street. Not that many people drive, there are a lot of bikes and people walking, but otherwise? Nah, son. For a newcomer to the city, the first impression would be that it's.......incredibly illogical that Cascabel even stays populated, in all honesty. It seems to have nothing going for it, and a lot of dangers that ought to drive people away. Deadly necromancers and stuff. Seriously, why would anybody stay? But consider: a lot of illegal substances are heavily traded here, because they're legal. A last-ditch effort by the small town mayoral office to bring in new people. So many things fail to bloom in a desert, but corruption can thrive in any climate it would seem.

It's a rather rainy day in Merriston; nevertheless the streets aren't empty. The marketplace, a collection of wooden carts filled with goods, is active even during the rain. Men and women from a number of different cities wander around the marketplace, examining goods, ducking underneath awnings and canopies wherever available. There's pretty much anything available, for anyone who's looking. Young men attempt to sell fresh vegetables, even washed clean by the rain, what fortune! Old women try to sell jewelry: surely, what would brighten a sad day more than a beautiful gemstone setting? Middle-aged men are selling meat, and people are buying it to go home and cook into stews and warm their bones when they run inside from the rain.
A plump woman gestures to the young man as she catches sight of him, attempting to lure him over to her cart as she hides below a thin cloth awning that isn't quite keeping her dry. From where he's standing, it looks as though she's out selling jewelry, the same as so many others. But she calls out to him, "What's your name, boy? You look like you need some magic to keep you warm."

Most of the above are introductory posts, or very early within different RPs, chosen that way so they would make sense without the need of much context around them. Obviously once an RP gets started, there is also a lot more talking and interactions between characters.

I also write prose, for examples of my even longer-hand writing:

The damage was already done; the street that stretched before them was a mess of the same story happening again and again, bodies flung out into the street like trash, men and women in all black dragging the corpses out of the fires that they'd set. The woman closest to the newcomers spotted them, and she shrieked to her companions, “We've got a live one!”
Antoine yelled in his boyfriend's ear, “Iosif! Run!” And hid his face, afraid to watch the results when Iosif inevitably stood his ground. He felt the roar of magic rip free from Iosif's hands with furious speed, the air around them coming to life like a wind tunnel, putting out fires, ripping shutters off of buildings, throwing men and women and bodies along the cobblestones, pushing them further and further away—only to just as quickly cut out.
“No. Iosif. Run,” he pleaded a pointless case as Iosif fumbled with the clasp on his satchel, stumbling away from the catastrophe as the exterminators began to rise to their feet again. He produced a metal flask, but before he could bring the neck of it to his lips, they were both being shot at.
Quick to realize he was outnumbered, Iosif took off running again, nevertheless guzzling down half the overly saccharine contents of his flask before stuffing it into a jacket pocket instead. Antoine now stayed dead silent, pressing himself to Iosif's back as tightly as he could, his nails digging into his lover's chest, drawing blood.
Iosif felt nothing but the ground under his feet and the rush as his magic stirred from the nowhere it had vanished into, flooding from his core and out to his fingertips. They slammed into the antimagic barrier hard and Iosif was off his feet quite abruptly and on top of Antoine.
“Ow, ow, that's why you take your—ow—medicine!” he cried out, flailing to try and pull himself out from under Iosif, who sputtered out an incoherent apology, head spinning, and rolled onto his knees to straighten up again. He stood into the barrel of a gun pressed against his forehead.
The figure before him spun, features distorting wildly. Iosif's tongue was too thick in his mouth to say anything, Antoine did the speaking, “Please. We're leaving. We've packed our bags. We're leaving, we'll never bother you again.”
“I don't think so,” she laughed, and when she cocked the gun, it unloaded in her face before she even had a chance to react. Antoine let out a cry and hid his face once again as Iosif bent down to pull a charm from the woman's body, something that allowed her to pass freely through the barrier.

The School of Dedicated Role Players

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games