Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mimsey

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:07 am
User Image

Fira was annoyed.

Fira was usually annoyed, but in this particular instance she felt she was at least partially justified. After subjecting herself to yet another one of her mother's wild tangents about the 'great' history of their blood and the dramas of their ensuing 'grand destiny', Fira had slunk away to avoid the midday sun and contemplated disowning the rest of her family. There was only so much madness she could take, and these days, it felt as though she had too much of it.

Sighing, Fira dug her claws into the hot sands. For the moment, just contemplating. Disowning seemed melodramatic...but there were often times she dreamed of simply running away. She was likely too frightened for such an action...but it was tempting.

Up ahead, Fira noted a raven circling in the distance. She shrunk a bit further into the shadows. Likely Yoan, looking to make amends for Elcca's ranting. Fira decided if there was anything she disliked more than her mother's random mood swings and delusions, it was being patronized to.

"...I need to do something."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:35 pm
Kinja has taken to the shadows earlier in the day to avoid the heat. Being an elder of the pride there were no duties she needed to uphold. Now, that didn't mean she didn't do anything around the pride. She had a habit of teaching some of the younglings about their heritage and the history of the pride. The old lioness also enjoyed just telling them stories to entertain them. Today though she had taken it upon herself to enjoy some secluded time away from the main hub of the pride.

She laid on her side on the cool shadowed sand. Well...relatively cool compared to the stuff baking in the midday sun. It was relatively quiet and she, like the old lady she was, reminisced about the old days and how things had been for her when she was much younger. She had been so lost in thought that she had almost missed the young lioness slip into the shadows not far from her.

Now Kinja wasn't usually one to pry but the aggravated look on the female's face and the way she moved told her that something was wrong. Rising to her feet she let bits of sand fall from her coat as she walked towards the brightly hued lioness's hiding spot.

"Why not keep an old lioness company then." She smiled warmly as she sat herself back down upon the sand, tail curling around her paws.

Mimsey
Hope Kinja will do. smile

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:01 pm
Kolina
Will do fine! <3

Fira's stare was a wide-eyed one, and for a moment it might have looked as though she'd rather run than risk the threat of lecturing. Her shoulders twitched, muscles compelled to motion...motion that never happened. She sighed, full of dejection and angst as she allowed the older lioness to settle down beside her.

"I'm not good company," Fira said gruffly. Only she couldn't quite pull off the gruff tone, and it sounded just a pitch too close to whining. She never liked how she couldn't carry a more foreboding lilt to her voice.

Grumbling to herself the lioness curled in the other direction, showing Kinja only her back. But as the seconds passed, she realized it might have been something close to folly to think that the older woman would simply walk off. Elders had endless time on their paws, didn't they?

Her nose crinkled, just short of a sniffle. Then she turned her head, her grey eyes steely. "I don't need advice or anything," she protested. But it came out sounding anything but.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:20 am
"Oh, I think you'll be fine company." Kinja smiled at the obvious disgruntled female and the expression didn't falter when the fiery pelted lioness presented her back. Kinja couldn't help my inwardly chuckle thinking the younger one was acting very much like an angsty adolescent.

Kinja didn't say anything. Instead she lowered herself from a sitting position to a laying one. Adjusting herself so that she was as comfortable as her old bones would allow her to be. Like the younger one had already surmised, Kinja had all the time in the world and she knew better than to push someone who was not ready or willing to be forth right with whatever ailed them. Luckily for Kinja though, it seemed that she wouldn't have to wait all day.

"Of course you don't." Kinja replied good naturedly. "I am just looking for some companionship. I came out here for some quiet and quickly became lonely, but these old bones of mine weren't up for a walk back to the main dens of the pride right yet."

"Now, if we're to be companions we might as well know each other's names. I must admit my memory isn't what it use to be and unfortunately remembering the names of pride members is not my forte." She chuckled. "I am Kinja."

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:35 am
Kolina

Fira grumbled to herself as realization set in. She wasn't entirely familiar with pride names either, but her mother did keep a short-list of important sounding individuals. While legacy names were common in the firekin, Fira doubted that there were many named Kinja.

If escape wasn't possible, then she'd have to talk.

"Fira," she said flatly, her head thumping onto her paws. "I doubt you would have had reason to know it."

That wasn't entirely true. When they were born, her mother had made sure to parade them around half the pride. As a cub, she'd never completely managed to escape the stigma of her drudge father. Now, as an adult, she found herself unable to find a place for herself to stand on.

"If you can't walk around, why not stay home?" she grumbled.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:46 am
"Fira..." Kinja mumbled the name to herself. It was jogging an old memory that was taking it's good ol' time to come around. She prodded the memory as she sat in silence for a moment before something finally clicked for her. "Oh yes. I remember you as a cub. Your mother was quite proud of you and your siblings." Kinja knew all too well the pride of a mother.

Blinking Kinja chuckled at the question. "It would be rather lonesome if I stayed holed up in my den now wouldn't it? As much as we all may wish to be alone at times, when we finally are we realize that being alone isn't all that wonderful things we thought it would be."

Kinja continued to lay there and didn't attempt to prod Fira into any more conversation. She wanted Fire to relax and reveal what was bothering her on her own. Kinja feared if she pushed that Fire would simply close herself off completely.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:56 am
Kolina

Fira's ears immediately went flush to her head at the mention of her mother being proud of them. That was maybe true in some cases- she was proud of her brothers. Proud of her sister. But her? Granted, Fira supposed her siblings often felt the same. Elcca was a strange lioness, whose attention was won for seemingly the most bizarre of reasons.

"My mother is only proud of herself," she snipped, her chin raising off her paws. "I doubt it had anything to do with us. Probably just wanted attention. Everyone gives mothers attention, she would feel as though she were obligated to it."

That definitely sounded more like her mother. "I wouldn't mind being alone, I think. Could go around, do whatever I wanted."

Even she realized how childish that sounded. Her eyes lowered.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 am
Ah yea. It sounded like there was quite a disconnect between mother and child here. Now, Kinja would not say that everyone mother was a good mother. On the contrary. She knew there were lionesses that were not truely suited to the role that motherhood thrust upon them. Maybe it was true that Fira's mother was one of these. Whether she was or wasn't though wasn't the issue at this point. It was the fact that Fire obviously felt wronged by her mother that was.

"Many Firekin are proud of themselves." Kinja commented gently. "That pride can be so strong that it certainly can overshadow their pride in other things." Kinja left it at that. She wanted to give stronger advice but Fira's first words to her about 'not wanting advice' was still quite strong in her memory.

But Fira's next words sparked a sadness in Kinja that brought about her memories from outside the pride. "Oh yes. You would be able to travel wherever you wanted. No one would be there to bother you or dictate to you what to do with your life. But also, no one will be there to talk to, to take comfort in when times are hard, to lay with when nights are cold, or to be there for you when you feel like the whole world is against you."

"Being alone is a tempting thing but never really worth the price it demands in the end."

Kinja knew this all too well and her loneliness was why she had eventually found herself back in the pride she had sworn she'd never be apart of again due to sad memories. Now those sad memories brought a smile to her face. Being around family and friends had helped heal those wounds.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:54 am
Kolina

That pride can be so strong that it certainly can overshadow their pride in other things. Fira felt the words prod about in her head as she tried to rectify such a thought with her own mother. Elcca was a proud lioness to be certain. She was always quick to remind the world that she was not a firekin by birth, and that her 'extensive' explorations of the outside world were what had allowed her such freedoms and powers.

But maybe Kinja was right. Elcca was a firekin. For all her blustering, one thing she had never lacked for was pride. She had found the place that suited her wiles, and given rivals for her to compete with. Maybe she'd always been that way.

"I suppose," she said quietly. Although a bit short, the sad tone suggested that the words had hit their mark. The idea of truly leaving home, being alone... it did frighten her. What she worried was whether or not that fear was natural, or a mark of cowardice. "...guess I don't really know where I'd go even if I went somewhere."

She gave a sigh, pressing her forehead back against her paws. "Just feels like...I don't really do anything. Mom has all these crazy ideas but I can't keep up with them. And I don't know if I'm just too dumb to understand her, or if she really is just crazy. I just sit around and whine."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:11 am
Kinja took the silence as a good hint that Fira was thinking about what she said. Her thoughts were proved right at the quiet acknowledgement. It broke her heart a bit though to see the young lioness looking so down.

"Well, maybe then you need some time away from her. Have you thought about picking up a job within the pride? Maybe being a sentinel would suit you well. You'd get the best of both worlds. You can be alone but also have your family and pride." Kinja smiled. "There's something in this pride for everyone I feel. You just need to take the intiative and work towards it."

She paused for a moment before continuing on. "It sounds to me that you love your mother quite a bit, you're just not sure how to interact with her now that you're all grown and have your own opinions and thoughts on matters. Spend more time with friends or make new ones. Sometimes all we need is time away from whatever is frustrating us so that we can just unwind."

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:34 am
Kolina

A job. It seemed like too easy a solution, but as she sat there, Fira realized she didn't exactly have a lot of other options. At the moment, she hunted. Not exactly work she was particularly good at, nor felt fulfilled doing. A sentinel though... they got to leave the pride.

Elcca would hate that. She'd hate even one of her offspring falling far from reach, not with her grand plans.

"I'm not really good at a lot of things," she admitted, looking back down at her black foot-pads. "But...I don't know. Maybe I'll look into it. My mother would be furious if I went off and became a sentinel."

She glanced up towards the sun, her tail thumping. "...but, maybe less furious than running away."

The lioness sat upright, a fine layer of sand clinging to her side. Her head turned to face the older female, her own expression falling as her ears pressed to her head. "I...uh," she started awkwardly. Her tail twitched. "You said you couldn't make it back to the main dens? I could walk back with you, if you'd like."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:46 am
"You never know what you're good at until you try. Besides, others will help you and train you. And, it might be beneficial to your mother as well if you're not around." Kinja could understand not wanting cubs to leave but it was a healthy part of life. They needed to get away and become something without their parents looming over them. "She may not be happy with you becoming a sentinel, if that's what you decide to do, but yes, I think she'd like it much more than you simply disappearing into the night and never returning."

Kinja watched the lioness as she sat up. It was obvious that Fira wasn't completely happy yet but she did look a bit brighter. She certainly was much more open and friendly at this point.

Kinja smiled warmly at the invitation. "I think I'd like that very much. I've grown quite tiredsome of being alone out here." So with that Kinja slowly sat up before rising to her paws. Small aches made themselves known but nothing that would inhibit he ability to walk back to the dens, especially with the help of Fira. "I hope you don't mind a slow pace back." She chuckled as she moved in the direction of the dens, knowing that Fira would quickly join her.

Mimsey

Kolina

Inquisitive Agent

Mimsey

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:03 am
Fira made a light sound in her throat that might have been a laugh. She couldn't exactly argue with that. At the very least, Elcca would have to find someone else to heckle during the day. "Mom always used to say our family has bad luck with things. But done right, the capacity for anything."

She had a feeling it was mostly superstition. But maybe...it was time to try her own hand at fortune.

"I don't mind the pace," she said, following slowly behind Kinja. Her head was low, but little about her steps suggested she was ready to rush into her future just yet.

For the moment, Fira simply retreated into the companionable silence of an older female that wasn't currently nagging her.

/end

[IC] Motoujamii-Simo Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff