The exodus wasn’t easy. It just wasn’t. They’d lost some to disease, some to panic, some to just plain deciding the plague was a sign that the pride wouldn’t work. But Aella wouldn’t give up on the pride. Not just like that. Aella was of Kiuma’s line, was of a line that would not simply die. Would not simply stop and stand aside and let defeat take them. Aella stood guard at the entrance of the cave that herself, Kannon, Dyl, and their newest additions had taken refuge in for the night. Aella couldn’t help but look back at the scarred pair, former Mwako who had denned with the Antianeira before. Dogo, the leopard, she’d heard, had once been looked after by Aella’s own mother. The leopon, Tarajia, was the daughter of Moto’nyota, the long-passed founder of the Mwako.

Tarajia looked up from her seeming rest, raising a brow at Aella. “Something the matter, Princess?” When she got no answer, the leopon stood up and lumbered over to the Princess. “Come now. I may not be the best out there to talk to, but surely I’m not so horrible as to inspire silence?” Aella chuckled, a smile crossing her muzzle before disappearing again.

“I suppose there is something wrong.” She sighed. “There are only five of us left, Tarajia. Five of us left to claim the Antianeira name. To keep the ways of the pride going. How will we rebuild with only five of us?” It didn’t help that most of them weren’t exactly young felines. And Dogo worried her. The leopard was often angry or lost-seeming. Tara pat her paw.

“You’ll find a way to make this work. You’ll find new blood, find new ways to survive. You’re the last of the royal line upholding the name. You’ll do it proud. Now, chin up.” The leopon nudged Aella’s shoulder. “Aella, you’ll do fine.” The red and white lioness looked conflicted.

“What if I don’t, Tarajia? What if the line ends with me? What if I cannot rebuild the pride? I don’t want to sully Grandmother’s name. I never met her, but the stories! How am I to live up to that even a little?” She drooped, ears pinning back. “I wasn’t even supposed to lead anyone. I was supposed to become a nanny. To help mind the cubs like Kannon.” That had been what she’d wanted to do, after the older lioness had mentored her and helped her calm.

“You cannot compare yourself to others. It would be like comparing the moon and the stars. Each has their own light, important in its own way. You will succeed, Aella. You will. Just take faith in your abilities, and your karma. All will end well.” The princess took a deep breath and nodded.

“I know. I do.” But it was hard to think of everything turning out all right. But it needed to. For the sake of what was left of the Antianeira. For the sake of those who might need the pride in the future. Or the present. She was unsure and uncertain, but she would keep striving forward. “Tara? How do you lead?” The leopon chuckled, a spark in her eye.

“There’s the royal blood in you. Dogo would be the better feline to ask later. But it’s a combination of heart and mind. Kindness and sternness. It’s much like being a parent, I’ve noticed. You care for the group, put your needs and wants after theirs.” Aella nodded, taking in every word the large hybrid said. They were important words. True words. She’d noticed her mother had been a bit like that in taking care of the pride. Watching over it as a parent does. Her sister had been much the same, though not as experienced. She would need the same touch. The same gentle yet firm paw.

It would be harder done than thought, she knew. Aella knew that despite her training as a Nanny, she knew how to care for small lionesses. She had no idea how to apply the same to guiding adults. She would need help figuring it out. Perhaps the ones that remained with her, their small little restarting group, could help her. Could guide her once their numbers swelled. She truly hoped so. She wanted so badly for the pride to thrive again. For their numbers to rise, and for the sound of young paws padding around to proceed once more.

“Tara, do you remember your mother’s leadership skills?” The leopon nodded gravely.

“I do.” No one else needed to know Moto’nyota was alive out there, given the new start she’d so badly earned. “Why do you ask?”

“Would you be willing to help advise me?” Tara was surprised by Aella’s question, but nodded.

“I will do what I can, Princess. I would suggest speaking with Dogo as well. And Kannon and Dyl’ahn. Together, we may be able to give you a full picture with the aide of our little pieces of the riddle.” Aella gave Tara a bright smile full of relief.

“Thank you. Every little bit helps. Especially if our numbers do swell. But first, I need to find us a new home. One free of the plague.” They couldn’t return to their old pridal lands, not yet. Perhaps in the future she would arrange an expedition, but not yet. It was far too soon.

“You’ll find something, Princess. You’re a clever girl, and determined. An asset to Kiuma’s line.” Aella was startled by Tara’s words, having forgot the leopon had know the Grandmother she’d never gotten a chance to meet.

“What was Grandmother like, Tarajia?” The old leopon gave her a soft smile.

“She was a great Queen. Proud, regal, and fierce. But she loved her pride with everything she was. She fought for it with everything she was. Even in the end, she was fighting.” For a time, Tarajia told Aella stories of Kiuma, the red lioness curled up and listening wide-eyed like a cub. It was, perhaps, a moment of peace they both needed.

[Word Count: 1008, according to Google Docs]