Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Getting To Know You
Otaku News and Promotions

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:51 pm
Welcome everyone to the "Anime Conventions: The Global Connection" Guild's "Otaku News and Promotions" thread. Consider me to be the Otaku Reporter for the guild. A while ago one of our members asked me about creating a thread or threads that features and talks about new things that are out their in this wonderful World of Cosplaying, Conventions, Anime, Video Games, and so much more.

I hope that everyone likes what I post on this thread. I will make use of many sources like Otaku related magazines, info from the internet, and many of the wonders that I have seen first hand at cons or heard about from other fans just like you. Either Stephanie (Starz-N-Madness) our Guild Greeter or I will let you know when I do the next post in this thread. Please check out this thread from time to time to read past articles that I have written.

Anytime I post something about a specific magazine article, Cosplayer, Cosplay photographer, artist, etc I will give credit to the sources. I give credit to the sources that I use because it's proper to do so and it gives all of you the info needed to check out who or what I'm talking about. Feel free to comment on the thread about my articles and please follow both Gaia Online TOS and this Guild's Rules and Regulations when you post those comments.

I will often talk about my experiences that I have had in the real world about the different features that I talk about. I feel that this will give you a personal touch that I'm happy to share with you. From time to time I'm planning on interviewing Guild Members. If I choose you to interview you are free to decline my feelings won't be hurt. If you do want to be interviewed that will be wonderful and you will get a really nice shout out for the interview. If you would like to be interviewed for a future article please let me know and I will be happy to do one of you. Doing Guild Member interviews I feel will let all of you know more about your fellow Guild members and give a voice to a very large community that we are all a part of.

I hope that you like this new feature and please give me feedback on what I write. With your feedback I can alter what I write to make this new feature even better for everyone in this wonderful Guild.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 pm
Post 01

1. Cosplay Culture Magazine:
Looking at the different magazines on the racks in stores I rarely see anything related to Cosplay out their. The only magazine that I have come across in the past was Otaku USA. It's a wonderful magazine but it always seemed so lonely sitting on the shelves by itself. Now their is a brand new magazine that I saw on the shelves and it's called Cosplay Culture Magazine. It's bright bold cover was hard not to miss. I looked closer and saw a Cosplay Photo of a Joker and a Harley Quinn Cosplayer on the cover. Being a Cosplay Photographer I had to see more. I flipped through the pages of the magazine and saw quite a few high quality photos of Cosplayers. I found out after I bought the magazine that it was just the second issue of it. That made me excited. Something new to check out!! This magazine touches most of the areas that our Guild is about. It has articles about Cosplayers, Conventions, Cosplay outfit making, Cosplay Photographers, new Anime & Cosplay related toys to check out, info on new and ongoing Anime series & Video Games, and so much more. I'm happy to tell everyone about this new magazine and below is the info needed to check out and buy the magazine for yourself. The first issue that I missed has Sailor Moon series Cosplayers on the cover. That issue can be back ordered.

a. Subscription Info - Cosplay Culture - 6 issues for $24.00 in the USA, $48.00 Canadian, $48.00 Foreign.
For Credit Cards Only - (800) 800-6544 - Mon - Fri 8:30am - 7pm est (Eastern Standard Time) or currently in the United States and Canada Mon - Fri 9:30am - 8pm edt (Eastern Daylight Time).
Order Online - CosplayMagStore.com
Checks & Money Orders - Make Payable To: Cosplay Culture, P.O. Box 9863, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33310 USA

b. Magazine Website - CosplayCultureMagazine.com, Facebook - Facebook.com/CosplayCultureMagazine

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 pm
Post 01 Continued

1c. Cosplayer Story - Masuimi Max as Harley Quinn
Masuimi Max Cosplays Harley Quinn on the cover of the second issue of the Cosplay Culture Magazine. Posing with her is her husband Cosplaying Harley's Love, the Joker. Harley Quinn is quickly becoming a favorite character to Cosplay. Masuimi has a rich history of Cosplaying female characters. She's 37 years young , born in Arkansas, and spent her childhood in both the Philippines and Korea. She was kicked out of home at 17 and had to fend by herself by juggling two jobs. When she turned 18 years old Masuimi started her career at the upscale strip joint Club Paradise in Las Vegas as a fire eating featured performer. Unfortunately she was hurt and had to heal from burns on her face.

Masuimi shortly after that was starting to get noticed by different companies and her true career as a Cosplayer and model was born. Her passion for Cosplay is easily seen on the cover of the Cosplay Culture magazine. Masuimi Max now lives in West Hollywood, California and she has always had the desire to dress up as something. That helped jump start her modeling career and then her passions led her eventually to Cosplaying a large variety of characters. She has cosplayed Strawberry Shortcake, jaw dropping Jessica Rabbit, Snow White, and most recently Harley Quinn.

Masuimi describes Harley Quinn's character by the following quote, "You don't know if she's good or bad, she's just . . . having fun and sometimes causing trouble." Another quote from her that I like a lot is about Cosplaying: "Myself and other Cosplayers can say that when you dress up, you're pulling a piece of yourself out and letting it shine. We already have mischief in us, we already have playfulness, and we have that sadness in us. So when we're Cosplaying, we're pulling out what's already in us. When you put a Harley Quinn costume on, you become mischievous and you channel that with what you're wearing." In the article their is a couple photos of Masuimi Cosplaying Jessica Rabbit that was taken by "RBB2 Photography" and their are several photos of her Cosplaying Harley Quinn that was taken by "MORAT666.com". Many thanks goes to Stephanie Nolasco from Cosplay Culture magazine for writing the article about this beautiful Model and Cosplayer. Make sure to Google "Masuimi Max" for more info on her and make sure to check out her Cosplay photographers "RBB2 Photography" and "MORAT666.com".

The character Harley Quinn herself is talked about in another article called Harley Quinn, Queen of the Con. To me personally Harley Quinn is my favorite bad girl. Twenty Two years ago I saw Harley Quinn's character for the first time on TV on "Batman: The Animated Series". I really liked what the writers did for her character and what the voice actress did for her voice. The combination of talents brought to life a character that is still captivating to this day. At the last convention that I went to, Youmacon 2014, I took a photo of a Harley Quinn Cosplayer and her Joker Cosplayer partner. I saw and watched in amazement as this Harley Quinn Cosplayer was in full character playing a chess piece at the Cosplay Shougi Japanese Chess event at the con. I told my brother who was with me that I had to meet this Cosplayer. After the Shougi Chess match was over I walked over and told the Harley Quinn Cosplayer that she did an awesome job . Then I asked to take a photo of her and she said, "Wait I got to get my sweetie to pose with me". What I took on that afternoon wasn't just another Cosplay photo but I saw and felt some of the magic that I see at every con. This Harley Quinn Cosplayer was bubbly, in character, and having a great time. To me this is what Cosplaying is about. If you want to see the photo that I took of the Harley Quinn and Joker Cosplayers feel free to go to my Deviant Art Cosplay Photography page and check it out in my Youmacon 2014 Gallery album. A link to my Deviant Art page is in my Gaia Signature.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 pm
Post 01 Continued

1d. New series to check out. Cosplay Culture Magazine mentions Five new Anime shows to check out - Fate/Stay Night, Gintama, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Seraph of the End, and The Heroic Legend of Arslan. Either check out the Magazine for more info or Google the series on the internet to find out more about these series.

e. Another article in the Cosplay Culture Magazine is called "Yestercades Story - Popularity in the Past, Present, and Future". The article talks about video arcades and video game systems of the past. I had the privilege to check out and play the games in both Pinball arcades and Video Game Arcades. Back in those days the Video Game machines were taller than I was and on the screen the games came to life as long as you had enough quarters to play them. I also had the privilege to watch the video game evolution. I still have my Atari 400 and 800 computer game systems and I use to have and play the Sega Genesis game system. My favorite games from that era is Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Pacman, and Street Fighter.

At my first convention, Youmacon 2009, I met and took photos of a Chun-Li Cosplayer. I was in awe by the detail of her outfit and the fact that it looked like she walked right off of the TV set from one of the Street Fighter movies. At my next con, Youmacon 2010, I was in awe again when I saw Legend of Zelda Cosplayers and Super Mario Brothers characters. Seeing all of these Cosplayers brought back great memories from the past playing the games that their characters came from.

Recently my brother gave me his old PlayStation 2 (Ps2) game system and 4 games. At a "flea market" I found and bought the Final Fantasy X Ps2 game. After many years of taking photos of Final Fantasy characters I finally get to play one of the games!! I saw in the past the video games meager beginnings and right now I see movie quality graphics and sound in the games of today. I look forward to what the future holds for video games. Have fun playing the video games of old, the present wonders, and dream of what the creators of these wonderful games will come up with next.

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
Getting To Know You

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers