Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Help with Anti-sora mask

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kamui Kiriyu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:06 pm
I need some assistance with the eye socket of this cosplay. But first, some photos of anti-sora

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is the mask I bought to alter a bit:

Mask

I was researching yellow see-through fabrics that might work to bring out the eyes. But with no luck. So I thought i ask for help with some fabric suggestions. I really don't want to be led by the hand wearing the mask so it would be great if someone could lead me in the right direction as to what I should use for the eyes.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:11 am
I'd say paint the mask black, then find a pair of sunglasses with gold shades, then pop out the lenses for it : o
You can either try and cut them to fit to the eye holes if you have the resources to do so, or you can tape them together, and then tape or glue them to the inside of your mask. I'd try and fit them to the eye holes, but not everyone has the patience, or is able to do that. Or time.

When I cosplayed Zacharie from Off, I made the mask and used some black fabric, but stretched it out so i could still see around, but others couldn't see my eyes. No matter how stretched out I got the fabric however, it was still very hard to see, and I had to have my friend help me. Case in point, fabric looks great, but doesn't alwawys work : o . Just something to keep in mind whenever you make another mask where the eyes are covered. Not to say it doesn't work, but just saying it's not always the best option!
I hope this helps you. Have fun making the rest of your cosplay, and remember to post a picture when you're done! I'd love to see it : 3c

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm
hey!

That's an awesome idea that Quinn came up with!

If you can't get your hands on a pair of yellow-lensed shades, then I know they sell those Spandex see-through masks online. You could cut out the fabric to size and see if that works? I found a link to one on Amazon. V

SecondSkinSpandex

Also, I heard of people using Tulle or Scrim fabrics. Both are thin fabrics. Aesthetically, I would choose the lenses or if the Spandex mask.

Hope you figure it out! I would love to see the finished product!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:47 pm
Oh btw, maybe it's just for me, but I can't click on the mask you bought. The IMGlink doesn't work.  

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 pm
I looked up some Jawa tutorials and even though its a different character I think they could head you in the right direction

Webpage Title
Webpage Title
Webpage Title

Hope they help!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:10 am
nerdiepi

Oh my god thank you so much for this idea. I wouldn't have thought of using the lens of glasses. I'm going to try and fit it perfectly into the eye holes. i was thinking of using a dremel or just sand it down by hand. Never did that before so hopefully it goes well. I'll be order cheap glasses on ebay to do some testing

I feel like I'll be having my friends guide me with this cosplay xD But thanks for the suggestion of black material. I'm such a perfectionist that i know I'll be so irritated if I can see my eyes through the lenses lol

And I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done <3 hopefully it goes well.
I would love to see your pictures of Zacharie if you have any. It's such an interesting mask.

Starz-N-Madnessi

Thanks for telling me about the link. I had to go fix it lol

I just ordered the second skin spandex on ebay. One black and one yellow. it seems I have to experiment with them and see what works. I was thinking of using the lenses that quinn suggested and use the second skin spandex to cover my eyes. It seems logical but only experimenting will tell xD

I'll be sure to post up the finish product if/when I complete it ^_^

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolfi

i don't think I'll have time to figure out lighting them up since I'm really bad with wiring things, but the last link seems doable. Thank you for this. It would be so cool if I could make this mask light up. x3 After the convention I'm sure I'll be upgrading this mask.

Thanks for the links. They helped a lot.

Kamui Kiriyu

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:40 am
Kamui Kiriyu

Oh my god thank you so much for this idea. I wouldn't have thought of using the lens of glasses. I'm going to try and fit it perfectly into the eye holes. i was thinking of using a dremel or just sand it down by hand. Never did that before so hopefully it goes well. I'll be order cheap glasses on ebay to do some testing

I feel like I'll be having my friends guide me with this cosplay xD But thanks for the suggestion of black material. I'm such a perfectionist that i know I'll be so irritated if I can see my eyes through the lenses lol

And I'll be sure to post pictures when I'm done <3 hopefully it goes well.
I would love to see your pictures of Zacharie if you have any. It's such an interesting mask.

Good idea! I'd suggest definitely experiment with it and get the feel for it. Be careful so you dont end up cracking the lenses too! : o

Once I update my Zacharie cosplay, I'll be sure to post a picture here >u< I only had one picture (which was a mirror selfie before the con I went to orz). I have to fix my mask still and buy black facepaint vuv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:34 pm
Kamui Kiriyu

i don't think I'll have time to figure out lighting them up since I'm really bad with wiring things, but the last link seems doable. Thank you for this. It would be so cool if I could make this mask light up. x3 After the convention I'm sure I'll be upgrading this mask.

Thanks for the links. They helped a lot.

Not a problem! It was the first thing I thought of when I read that you were cosplaying anti-sora. I'm not very good with wiring either and I agree that the last link looks the easiest but I wasn't sure what you were able to do so I thought I would give you some variety. And it helps me a little bit since I plan on making a Jawa cosplay ;P  

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff