Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[ENROLLMENT] Rachel "The Roach" Barata (Reaper/Mage) get

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ves

Garbage Animal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:33 am
Amityville Enrollment Ready!

AMITYVILLE ACADEMY ENROLLMENT FORM
Name: Rachel Barata
Nicknames: "The Roach"
Faction: Reaper
Subclass: Mage

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Natural Ability: Rachel's natural ability is cockroach affinity, which allows her to have cockroach-like qualities and a kinship with the insects. Presently she is capable of communicating with roaches and is able to understand them and talk to them herself, with a potential for developing a wallwalking ability in her second year.

Familiar: Little Kisses (yes, that's its name, no, she didn't name it), an ambiguously-gendered Madagascar hissing roach that inhabits Rachel's turtleneck sweater, or can be seen riding around on her shoulder or in her hair. Little Kisses has a foul mouth and little tolerance for anyone who says mean things about its master, shouting insults and threats when provoked (as much as she wishes it wouldn't because life would be so much easier without a talking cockroach attempting to start fights for her when she would really rather be left alone). It has an indeterminable city accent of some kind and talks like a gangster and generally talks itself and Rachel up like they're hot s**t.

Personality: Although she wouldn't call herself introverted, Rachel doesn't easily make friends or willingly put herself at the center of attention, preferring instead to veer off to the sides and fit the Reaper stereotype of 'weak and nerdy' to a T. She's very good at disappearing into crowds and making herself 'invisible' due to her small build and inconspicuous looks, and she likes it that way. Without intending to, she has a tendency to eavesdrop and doesn't interact well with others, coming off as standoffish and defensive from anticipating negative reactions to her choice of companions.

She has a dark, self-deprecating sense of humor due to her reputation as "the roach girl," jokingly calling herself a "dumpstermancer" because of her magical affinity and ability to speak to roaches. Although she hated having this ability at first, over time she realized she could relate to the insects because like them, she is largely misunderstood and unliked by those around her, mostly harmless, and just wants to live her life without the threat of a boot coming down on her head.

Also, like her insect kin, she is very clean and resilient, cares a lot about her friends and family (and obviously her cockroach companions), and is incredibly tenacious. Roaches are social animals, after all, and well reputed for their ability to simply survive and adapt to whatever life throws at them. She handles crisis extraordinarily well -- just don't shine bright lights on her.

Her favorite word in the English language is "ugh."

Why are they enrolled in Amityville Academy?
As funny as it sounds, the roaches convinced her, telling her that she had great potential in drawing the fear power of humans. After all, if the simplest and most pathetic thing grosses out even the residents of Halloween, collecting fear from the human world would be a cinch for her once she learns how to utilize her roach affinity to its full potential. Now she just has to overcome the challenge of coexisting peacefully with her fellow students...

FEAR Ability: Cockroaches on Parade (swift strikes): The ability to conjure elemental cockroaches from the holes in the palms of her hands. She has no specific elemental affinity, so the element of her cockroaches is situational and all elements of roaches are magical projectiles that explode on contact. Fire roaches are standard detonators that affix to their targets before exploding ('sticky bombs'), air roaches operate like homing missiles, earth roaches burrow underground and serve as landmines, and water roaches function as torpedoes. Currently she can only summon up to six roaches, later when her ability grows she could summon entire swarms.

Physical Description: She's a premade from the Day Zero newbie nominations! Image here!

[Connection is really unstable so I hope this goes through, I give permission for GMs to CC commentary/approval/changes to Lythiaren to relay to me! Thank you for your patience ;w; ]  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 am

I love the cockroach theme of this char, bugs are creepy as hell. What I'd say for a natural ability for your own sanity is that you might want to try and pin it down neatly to one major thing while other things can be considered aspects of her race and species. Like she is essentially a cockroach mage by your definition of her so perhaps the communication with them might be innate as part of that, perhaps for year one she might be able to summon them or something of that ilk? Again my suggestions are not meant to be taken with any authority but I always approach things from a "how fun will this be in rp" and you might find that you won't really run into many insects in rp of your own accord (other than her familiar of course) so her ability to speak to them might not be apparent, if she was able to somehow draw them to her or create them of her own accord there might be more potential for this to become apparent to other players if that makes sense? Again all suggestions and I love what you have so far. Perhaps even Little Kisses could be a ringleader of sorts.

Honestly though everything you have is totally spot on and awesome at the moment and I can't wait to see her in play, she has so much scary potential and I bet her attitude will make for some conflict and excitement too.

(exploding roaches are amazing by the way)

Baneful
Crew

Dramatic Hunter

Ves

Garbage Animal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:36 pm
Yeah, I guess that's the only thing I'm really unsure of. XD I originally had it to where she could skitter along walls/ceilings (on all fours) like a roach, as well as the roachtalk, but was told that was too much for a Y1 and to just pick one ability so I was gonna do wallwalking for Y2.

Summoning roaches does sound fun tho, or some kind of roach-attracting aura... :B

go figure my dogshit connection drops as soon as i hit reply so if i double post i apologize in advance orz  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:50 pm
Now that I actually have a connection I'm tentatively marking this as 'ready,' although I still wouldn't mind feedback on what sort of natural ability she should have. D8;;  

Ves

Garbage Animal

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:53 am
Approval things-

nat ability-
You will have to remove wall walk even if limited. That's not to say in rp she might see SIGNS of it, but it wouldn't be playable until it's a formed ability. (I had a similar thing back when w/ my char- main thing is that its fine to hint very minor at as a char is rped towards growth [like she can feel a heightened texture sense, skins changes ] fully manifesting/playable in y2, but on paper its one to one)

For FEAR admin will need to to a check as mages tend to be 1 for 1 on elements or jack of all, master none. (my suggestion would be nature -manafesting via cockroaches/insects) So, depending what maru says you're good or might need refinement.

Ves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 am
iStoleYurVamps

Didn't see this straight away but I went and edited the natural ability part and pared it down to just roachspeak. emotion_yatta

Any word on if the FEAR ability is fine as-is or needs editing? Thanks heart  

Ves

Garbage Animal

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:58 pm
Ves
HI YOU

I'd recommend keeping the Fear to one type of flavor to start with, simply because you're stuck with same the mechanics with all of them that way. I have 0 doubt you could make it work, but you have the option of different Fear mechanics as she levels up that can better back and highlight the properties of an element rather than working purely one-size-fits-all.

Though maybe a good way to have both, would be to focus on one type "belonging" to the attack, the one that succeeds. And the misses being the other sorts, not quite ready to be used in battle yet and falling flat.

BASIC CHARACTER KIT WHAT DO I DO NEXT

Welcome to This is Halloween!

Congratulations! Your character has passed the enrollment process and you're cleared to begin playing. Essentially, this means you can get your art certed, make your character's journal, and most importantly start RPing. If you're a little lost then don't worry, this guide is here to point you in the right direction.

gaia_crown [ Art Check! ]:

- Do you have your character's art? Great! Move onto the next crown.

- If you do NOT yet have your art, you may now contact your artist and let them know that they may now start on creating your character!

gaia_crown [ Certs & Emblems ]:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

- If your character is a STUDENT, you may create a customized student pin for them. This is entirely optional (but fun!) special badge that is unique to your character's design! You can find more information about pins (also known as their emblem) here.

- Hallowen characters (Students & Horsemen) may bet their character certed here!

- Hunters may get their certs here!

gaia_crown [ Creating a Journal ]:

- A journal is a thread where you can keep track of your character's accomplishments, RPs, progress, relationships, etc!

- All HALLOWEEN characters (Students & Horsemen) may create one here!

- All Hunters may create one here!

gaia_crown [ Let's RP! ]:

- Don't be shy about RPing! As soon as your character has been enroll approved you can start! Check out this awesome information about The World of Halloween and Amityville Academy. All students start off in Amityville academy. Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All students are invited to participate!

- If you are a Hunter, you will want to read the Hunter Newbie Guide Icly, your character will be given access to a pamphlet and invitation to an orientation. Occasionally GMs will promote and open MISSION orps. These usually happen in the main Deus subforum and be followed by a guild announcement. All Hunters are invited to participate!

- If you are a Horsemen, please refer to here and the handy links in the first post as well as the other posts for concurrent and quest information! Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All Horsemen are invited to participate!

gaia_crown [ What's happening currently? ]:
- We try to keep all important things happening regularily updated in the ANNOUNCEMENTS THREAD. This goes for ALL FACTIONS. Have a question? Ask it in the Q & A !

gaia_crown [ Still feeling a little lost or overwhelmed? That's okay! ]:
- Check out what was just mentioned in FULL DETAIL HERE! Don't be too overwhelmed, there's time to sort everything out. For now, just enjoy some simple RP!

gaia_crown [ Finding RP ]:
- There's a bunch of ways to find RP. You can just contact a friend or any shop regular OR one of our available GMS for help! Otherwise, there are a lot of people looking to plot with YOU in their plotting threads! You can even make your own and advertise in your sig/ in the main thread/ etc etc!

- In addition any thread marked ORP is open for you to join!

- If you ever feel lost as a newbie, our many GMs are more than happy to one on one RP with you to help your character get acquainted. Send a PM to WE ARE HALLOWEEN and we can get you started this way as well. Otherwise, enjoy immersing yourself in the many RPS in TiH! It is all about discovery after all!

{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games