User Image User Image

Rogue life was...lonelier than he had expected it to be. Sure, Indovu had never necessarily been the most popular young male in the pride (if any young males in general could have been considered popular), but the male had never realized how present the rest of the Bonelanders had been. There was always the background noise of the females chattering with one another, there had always been another lion no matter where he looked. In his youth, Indovu had often wandered out away from the main camp in order to find some manner of peace and solitude. And now he was yearning for the company he had once taken for granted. The irony stung.
Not to mention his plan of following the elephants had not been the most fruitful. He was tired and thirsty, and it seemed as if the elephants were traveling through a barren grassland, not even a small stream in sight. He knew the herd would come to a watering hole in a short manner of time, but the parched lion was left hoping that time would come sooner rather than later.
The male rested in the shade as the herd knocked down trees and fed on the grasses. The lion almost wished he was prey at that moment, able to quench his thirst using the water in the plants they ate. Then again, later on when he would no doubt be dining on a gazelle or hare or antelope, the thought would be gone from his mind.
A timid cough drew his attention. Out in the sun, a brown-coloured female stood, waiting for Indovu to notice her. She was a little bit on the smaller side, and looked rather haggard. “Yes?” He asked politely. Even though she was no Bonelander, treating females with polite respect was ingrained into his being.
Laini smiled at the male hopefully, her feet aching from her journey. “I was hoping I might share that spot of shade with you. The elephants seem to be taking down all the other trees.”
Indovu nodded in agreement. “As is their nature. Please, sit. I am Indovu.” The female collapsed to the ground, sighing happily. “You have been traveling far, I take it.”
“Laini, a pleasure.” The lioness gave her sore paws a quick cleaning. “For many days. Weeks maybe. I was caught up in a river during a storm some months ago. Since then I’ve been quite lost, especially recently. I can’t seem to make heads or tails of where I’ve been going. But I’ve been able to see many new sites!” Laini smiled.
The male raised his brows. “Caught in a river? The floodwaters can be quite dangerous, especially when the rains come out of nowhere. You are lucky to be alive.”
Laini’s eyes fell to her paws. “Which is how it happened. The water rose so fast.” She was silent for a minute before continuing. “I was actually traveling with someone, but they did not make it.”
“I am sorry for your loss.” Indovu replied.
“Thank you. I miss him dearly.” The lioness suddenly grinned. “But I’ve now had the chance to meet many wonderful new people. You mustn’t get too down on yourself. See the watering hole as half-full.”
Indovu snorted. “Mm, I’d take a watering hole only barely full right now.”
“To that I must agree. I haven’t found a spot of water in so long! Which way did you come? Was there any water back that way?”
The male flicked his tail back and forth as he thought. The only sources of water he knew of were in the territory of his old home, and he couldn’t very well send a stranger in to steal their resources. Despite the fact that he was technically no longer a member of the pride in their eyes, Indovu felt that he would always be one of them at heart. However, if the female was willing to do her part for them…..
“That depends. Are you able to hunt?”
It seemed a silly question. What lion was not able to hunt? Or perhaps the male was one such lion and would only tell Laini where the water was after getting a meal. Well, if he was that hungry, then Laini would be glad to help him regardless. “But of course! As is my nature.” She teased. “Are you in need of a meal?”
Indovu laughed. So she thought he was asking for himself. “No, I am more than capable. I ask because there is water to the west, where I came from, but it is controlled by my birth-pride. If you join their ranks, you would have access to their resources.”
“A pride?” Well, it had been a good long while since Laini had lived in a group with other lions. The company and the water would be nice… “But, then what are you doing all the way out here?”
“I left when I came of age.” The male answered evenly. “It is the way of the pride. There are a few ruling males. When males come of age, most leave the pride. Some choose to swear celibacy and stay. But that was not my path.”
Laini couldn’t imagine choosing to leave one’s family by choice. But now she herself was alone, craving the company of others. “And you think they would accept me?”
Indovu nodded. “If you prove yourself a strong hunter and are willing to pull your weight within the pride, I am sure they would welcome you. They have many new mouths to feed this season, and the prey is plentiful.”
Cubs? Oh how Laini craved cubs. To raise them, to teach them, it was what she wanted most of all. And if this was a good place to do so then perhaps she should seek them out. “Thank you. I will most likely try to find them. It would be good to have a permanent home.”
Something that Indovu didn’t have anymore. He exhaled slowly, keeping himself composed and trying to hide the sudden pang of loneliness that hit him once more. “Of course. Though I admit, now that we have spoken of hunting, I find my belly feeling much more empty than it was before. When the heat passes, would you hunt with my before we part ways? The pridal borders are still a long journey away.”
The lioness smiled warmly. It was easier hunting with two than it was hunting alone. “That sounds lovely. I would be honoured. In the meantime, maybe you could tell me more about your birth pride?”
Indovu smiled back. “It is a deal. Would you care to hear of the time I was nearly trampled to death by elephants as a cub?” The male chuckled as Laini’s eyes grew as wide as the moon. “Very well then. It was right around the beginning of the rainy season. There were dark storm clouds on the horizon….” Indovu shifted his position as he began the story, the feeling of loneliness forgotten.

WC: 1168