Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply -------- Cosplayers
The Role Play Aspect of Cosplay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rurouni_Fear

Hygienic Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:04 am
Lots of cosplayers I've gotten to know tend to either roleplay their character almost all the time or not at all. I was just wondering what your experiences are with this and to what degree you get into character.

Personally, I've picked characters that are at least somewhat similar to my own personality so even when I'm not in character I still act somewhat like them. There was an instance when 3 guys were all wearing the same shirt featuring my cosplay character on it. It was probably the most in character I've ever been in and by far one of my most rewarding experiences at a con.

EDIT: Ugh realized there was a topic on this already. This topic can be deleted  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:42 am
Rurouni_Fear
Lots of cosplayers I've gotten to know tend to either roleplay their character almost all the time or not at all. I was just wondering what your experiences are with this and to what degree you get into character.

Personally, I've picked characters that are at least somewhat similar to my own personality so even when I'm not in character I still act somewhat like them. There was an instance when 3 guys were all wearing the same shirt featuring my cosplay character on it. It was probably the most in character I've ever been in and by far one of my most rewarding experiences at a con.

EDIT: Ugh realized there was a topic on this already. This topic can be deleted

This topic is different enough to keep it. In the other one it talks about being in character. This one talks about Role Play. For me being in character is acting like the character that you picked to Cosplay. Often Cosplayers tend to be in character on their own and do not interact as much with other Cosplayers. Role Playing tends to be an interactive thing. Cosplay groups tend to be in character and play out scenes from the series they are from. Also they interact in character with each other more. I've seen a lot of Cosplay Groups do that very well and many do skits in competitions at conventions. Mind you these are my opinions. Something to think about.

I tend to be in character on a spontaneous basis. If I see a cosplayer from the same series as mine I often go right into character and interact with the other cosplayer in character. I have surprised a few people that way. As a Cosplay Photographer I tend to ask Cosplayers to pose and act in character to make the photos of them more interesting. Some of the Cosplayers learned how to be in character better due to that.

My Cosplays tend to be characters that I can identify with in some way. Thanks for starting this topic.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
-------- Cosplayers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers