Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Painting a Latex Prosthetic

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Hello lovelies!

For an upcoming convention I'll be cosplaying the character Asriel Dreemurr from Undertale. To really complete the cosplay I ordered a latex prosthetic goat/sheep muzzle for him! It's a slush cast latex prosthetic from North Fur FX, and I was wondering if anyone has used these types of prosthetics before and had any tips on painting them? Or how to go about the painting process? (Tips on applying the prosthetic are also well appreciated)

I want to paint it completely solid white, and perhaps do a bit of pink blended out on the nose.
heart Any tips help, and thank you in advance! heart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:05 am
nerdiepi
Hello lovelies!

For an upcoming convention I'll be cosplaying the character Asriel Dreemurr from Undertale. To really complete the cosplay I ordered a latex prosthetic goat/sheep muzzle for him! It's a slush cast latex prosthetic from North Fur FX, and I was wondering if anyone has used these types of prosthetics before and had any tips on painting them? Or how to go about the painting process? (Tips on applying the prosthetic are also well appreciated)

I want to paint it completely solid white, and perhaps do a bit of pink blended out on the nose.
heart Any tips help, and thank you in advance! heart

I myself have not painted latex before. However knowledge of paints tell me that you have to use an elastic, oil-based paint (since the latex repels water based paint and if the paint is not elestic you get nasty flaking). This leaves out nearly all spray paint cans.

I took the liberty of looking around and I found an article that used a mixture of rubber cement, a small amount (less than 1oz) of colorant (the kind used in home improvement stores to color their 1gal paint buckets which I hear they actually sell to you if you ask), and some mystical paint thinner called Naphta which you can also buy in home improvement stores. This article mentions the best way to get an even coat is using an airbrush although you can use standard paint brushes if the uniformity isn't a huge factor.

I hope this helped.

Link to the article I referenced:

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/evilash/detailingthemask.html  

Rurouni_Fear

Hygienic Friend

nerdiepi

Crew

Anxious Shounen

15,450 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:38 pm
Rurouni_Fear

I myself have not painted latex before. However knowledge of paints tell me that you have to use an elastic, oil-based paint (since the latex repels water based paint and if the paint is not elestic you get nasty flaking). This leaves out nearly all spray paint cans.

I took the liberty of looking around and I found an article that used a mixture of rubber cement, a small amount (less than 1oz) of colorant (the kind used in home improvement stores to color their 1gal paint buckets which I hear they actually sell to you if you ask), and some mystical paint thinner called Naphta which you can also buy in home improvement stores. This article mentions the best way to get an even coat is using an airbrush although you can use standard paint brushes if the uniformity isn't a huge factor.

I hope this helped.

Link to the article I referenced:

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/evilash/detailingthemask.html

Thank you very much! I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games