Welcome to Gaia! ::

THIS IS HALLOWEEN

Back to Guilds

WHERE IT IS ALWAYS HALLOWEEN (and sometimes exams) 

Tags: Halloween, Demons, Monsters, Roleplay, Academy 

Reply { Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval
[ENROLLMENT] Hervé Torrence - Hunter, Sun - accepted!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:03 pm
DEUS EX MACHINA PERSONNEL FORM

The Hunter
    Name: Hervé Torrence
    Category: Sun

The Weapon
    Name: Ōgarascacaltu'craw
    Type of Weapon: Pistol with Bayonet dagger
    Former species of weapon: Demon (Avian - Corvid)
    Personality: Silent for the most part, he's entirely complacent and rarely communicates to his Hunter; and when he does so it's likely to be spouting a ridiculously edgelordy line that reflects some pretty ominous thoughts and desires. He seems to think of his Hunter as his avatar (ehh?) and symbiont (not too far off), and of himself very... impersonally, like he's completely detached from any idea that he could be a person and not a manifestation of the natural cycle of death and rebirth or something. As such he's impossible to offend, since he has no real pride to speak of, and definitely never gets angry. It's unclear if Ogs is acting out a delusional fantasy, since if that was the case, he certainly never slips out of character. I could be that he really just has that little concept of self, or slid into this overdramatic make-believe as his way of fooling himself and leaving his past self (note: he's been a heirloom weapon for a long time) behind.

Character Personality:
  • Spacey Stoicism: Hervé's a rather quiet fella, with an oft wandering attention that drifts into the void- she really likes to relax, and seems to be able to do it anywhere. Yet she comes off more as stoic than a space case due to her near-unshakeably calm temper and the way she speaks in few words. With a soothing, low, soft voice and subtle french accent!
  • Kind of a degenerate: Hervé's a dirty pirate in... several ways. No manners to speak of, she can completely disregard tact and common sense like it's natural. (Well, the way she was raised, it is.) She doesn't keep herself or things or places clean- sense of hygiene zilch. She's also got no regard for property, so she's likely to "borrow" things from others without asking. Oh, she'll return them if it crosses her mind. But they might not be in the same state, yanno? She also doesn't seem to have any qualms whatsoever with the idea of harming as a threat or killing in a life-threatening situation whenever these things are for a mission. She doesn't mind being a bad guy. She doesn't mind being in the wrong. She stays true to herself, and she's not a pure soul.
  • Responsible: Interestingly, despite her *cough* different sense of morality, she's got plenty social responsibility enough that when people get mad at her for whatever reason or do something in retaliation, she accepts it. In fact, she assumes they're right. With how things been going she can tell that it was probably her fault and she deserved it. :V She would even do something to apologise if they seemed upset, but will she feel bad about herself? That's another issue entirely... (no xD) Speaking of responsibility she's also pretty dedicated to keeping her gears well oiled for whatever operation she's part of, and takes her tasks seriously.
  • Speak with Actions: Hervé prefers doing to talking when it comes to expression. Not one to pretend like she will when she won't.
  • Crew Mentality: As one might expect of someone of her background, whoever's part of her crew- even if they're just assigned to a mission with her- is worthy of her camaraderie and protection. She'll have your back through thick and thin, though if you want something from her that isn't necessary, it'll take some business sense to strike a deal.
  • Non-judgemental: It's hard for her to even understand the idea of being discerning about others when all her life she'd been surrounded by, er, people that wouldn't make it in any civilized society, and they were all super accepting of one another despite it?!??
  • Undaunted: In intense situations that demand focus her usual chill vibes make room for equally intense ill-temper, though her words remain short and her eyes and ears remain sharp. As a psychological explanation, whenever she feels any fear before it can take form in any way, she gets angry. She bites down on it and mows through. As such she'll generally behave in a courageous, fearless, and focused manner in the situations that demand courage. All in all Hervé is a reliable individual despite her many faults.

Why did your human character choose to become a Hunter? Disclaimer: A quiet individual, Hervé isn't one to really talk about herself or where she's from, so she can be rather mysterious. Unless directly asked about anything described here it's unlikely that it would even come up.

She was born at sea, the daughter to a band of pirates. That's right, pirates in this day and age (link is an article about modern day piracy), raising their children into such a family business! Their band made a living robbing oil tankers, smuggling for the black market off the east coast of Africa, and of course, fishing on the side. (Since her dad dotes on her Hervé was mainly assigned to the smuggling operations which have a tendency to be more calm and pleasant.)

This illegal group calling themselves the Corbos are led by the french black market collaborators who had at first immigrated to Somalia and managed to put together enough resources and connections to organise their own operation. One of the leaders, Hervé's dad, had no troubles finding himself a wife and he raised his child with pride, happy to bring her into the 'family business' once she expressed an interest in joining the crew at a mere 5 years old; his wife soon left him, but not the teenage daughter, who loved the sea. Part of this is because at sea, there were no shadows. She knew that her grandfather on her dad's side had become a hopeless drug addict due to having those kinds of visions, something which made her dad suffer greatly in his childhood. As such, she always kept quiet about it and hid this aspect of her life.

She became a good sailor and learned the ins and outs, though understandably, aside from their own people they were rather poorly looked-upon even by those coastal villages who came to rely on this uncomfortable source of income and supplies. She grew up knowing that she was one of the 'bad guys', and she wasn't raised in a way to let that bother her in the least.

Despite being a bunch of well, degenerate lowlives, their activities made their friends and family of friends prosper in a those East African coastal villages, and the crew itself got along great. The crew mentality was deeply ingrained to Hervé. Of course, since they were criminals in a dangerous line of business, and meant they were often visited by violence and tragedy and none of their folk would ever get a proper education. (This includes Hervé; she has no formal education to speak of, but she was taught to read, write and add/substract from those around her. She also knows French, English and Somali just because those are the languages she grew up around even as a small child.)

When she was 14, some of them took a trip abroad to France. At that time, she was noticed and questioned by police, since there was a ratty kid wandering around looking unreasonably suspect and she had the bad luck of catching their attention. Asking her for her parents information on suspicion that she was a runaway, they soon found out that she was carrying a fake I.D.- which is when she assaulted them and tried to escape. But she was caught and then held for a little more than a year at a juvenile detention centre, where they kept records of some odd things about her- despite being quiet, she seemed to react to and notice things that nobody else could see, and was subject to odd tempers whenever it happened.

Well, she eventually got out through the help of some fake relatives, and went back to sea with her crew in Somalia... though, 7 years later, after their vessel was docked at the port of a bigger town, the military arrived. The band quickly had to leave port, even though Hervé was at a bar at the time. They had to escape, or everyone would get caught- so she understood. She hid in the town for a few days at a friend's place, but she knew it wouldn't be for long before she was discovered and arrested, or overstayed her welcome for that matter. As such, when she was visited all of a sudden by this unexpected chance to fake her death and go to some faraway place, it seemed like the perfect escape plan from what was probably going to be an execution.

Weapon Ability The Pulse, under Supportive Abilities

Physical Description: - Lean and athletic body, not that she shows it off. She's got droopy eyes and a long face.

Eye Colour: Sand-colored eyes, so liek, liiiight brown.
Hair Colour/Style: Black, tinged blue. Wears a leather headband dyed turquoise, with some bangs spilling messily from the sides. Hair is tied back into a long, thin braid that almost reaches the hips.
Skin Colour: Caucasian. Since leaving her seafaring lifestyle, Hervé's lost her tan and has pale skin.
Clothing Style/Colours: She has a leatherworking hobby and makes her own rudimentary leather armor, though it looks more like thick, blocky clothes than any armor that existed. Take this and this as an example. She usually has a loose black silk shirt of some kind underneath whatever else she's wearing.

For the art, given that she's wearing the Hunter uniform coat over everything else, I suggest artistic liberty be taken for whatever looks good underneath the coat that is inspired by my character refs... xD But it'd be great to keep the headband and if possible, the bandanna that's around her neck on the refs!

Extra: THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME OUO <3333 And ignore that in my other RPs she's a giant raven I'M AWARE SHE'S A HUMAN HERE XD
References:

User Image chibi by WHO IS THAT, THAT'S NOT ME, THIS IS OLD ART, AAAAA
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Also old art by me -sobs-
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. chibi by Moonlightko
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Comic by me n' Slowdrone on Paintberri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:22 am
Hi Mythee just some stuff for approval~

Weapons would need to be chained/connected together.

Weapon personality clarify- just to make sure it is clear, the weapon would have no memories of their time as a halloweener. They only retain basic knowledge of certain Halloween facts but anything personal is lost to them. At best, they MIGHT feel some old loss of slight emotional residue from things deeply connected to, (such as Israfel feeling intrinsically regretful of Amityville) but the details are 100% gone. If this about a previous hunter, the weapon would be an heirloom weapon, as pretty much all weapons not heirloom would have been created post 1999! I'm not sure, but the last bit is a bit confusing so I want to make sure that is understood.

History: I'm a bit at a loss here because modern day piracy is.... flatly not a place one would find a woman? Due to some very obvious reasons. @A@a That said, if she was modern day pirate there are a number of facts missing (such as where she was, her education, how she managed to survive, etc etc), the history reads as a case of exception- Hunters should be normal people who have minor instances or encounters that cause them (or have a natural born ability) to detect FEAR beings. This is what places them often at odds with society and predisposes them to being found or tracked by Deus and subsequently recruited.
If you REALLY want to maintain a modern day pirate background, I would say to work directly with an Admin such as Lizbot or Marushii since otherwise, it is far from anything I can approve due to the current hunter set up and guidelines. I can still help depending on changes and offer suggestions, but that's all depending on how and what you'd want to change.

Mythee

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

Mythee

Festive Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am
iStoleYurVamps
Hi Mythee just some stuff for approval~

Weapons would need to be chained/connected together.

Roger that! I'll go with a single one after all because sounds like the rest of the character is kind of risqué for this setting and I don't wanna push it.

Quote:

Weapon personality clarify- just to make sure it is clear, the weapon would have no memories of their time as a halloweener. They only retain basic knowledge of certain Halloween facts but anything personal is lost to them. At best, they MIGHT feel some old loss of slight emotional residue from things deeply connected to, (such as Israfel feeling intrinsically regretful of Amityville) but the details are 100% gone. If this about a previous hunter, the weapon would be an heirloom weapon, as pretty much all weapons not heirloom would have been created post 1999! I'm not sure, but the last bit is a bit confusing so I want to make sure that is understood.

Okay, I've added clarification that it's been a heirloom weapon for a long time.

Quote:

History: I'm a bit at a loss here because modern day piracy is.... flatly not a place one would find a woman? Due to some very obvious reasons. @A@a

A minority of pirates have always been women, so I wonder why this would have changed nowadays? I'm sure some modern day male pirates have wives and children, and don't mind their children joining the biz.

Quote:
That said, if she was modern day pirate there are a number of facts missing (such as where she was, her education, how she managed to survive, etc etc),

OK! I elaborated on the part where I mentioned nobody on her circle has access to an education, and elaborated on the part about coastal African villages as being not just their centres of operation but all being the places that she grew up in and between.

Quote:
the history reads as a case of exception- Hunters should be normal people who have minor instances or encounters that cause them (or have a natural born ability) to detect FEAR beings. This is what places them often at odds with society and predisposes them to being found or tracked by Deus and subsequently recruited.
If you REALLY want to maintain a modern day pirate background, I would say to work directly with an Admin such as Lizbot or Marushii since otherwise, it is far from anything I can approve due to the current hunter set up and guidelines. I can still help depending on changes and offer suggestions, but that's all depending on how and what you'd want to change.

Sorry for bringing a complicated case to the table, I thought the students could just be from any walk of life x-x Should I quote Lizbot or Marushii here or PM one of them only? Thanks for your help!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm
After talking to Lizbot!

lizbot - Today at 6:54 PM
So just just make her potential as a hunter more accesible in the enroll and make an assurance that her bg, while formative, will be more low key in actual play
And you should be good

Mythee - Today at 6:55 PM
Hokay. Thanks a lot for your help! Should I long you or Vamps when I'm done editing?
*ping
Thanks autocorrect

lizbot - Today at 6:56 PM
Just wait for whoever os enrolling her gets to it, vamps is just helping expedite that by pointing out potential snags
If you want to quote what ive said go ahead

Mythee

Festive Explorer

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 am
Thanks for ping back and being proactive with contacting an admin! It really does help.

The reason I pointed out the unlikelihood of a woman being a part of a modern day pirate, is in Somalia is that the risk of rape, being subject to human right violations, (such as FGM), or dying is beyond exceptionally high relative to most 3rd world nations. As far as Somalia is concerned, while I can tell the history was partially researched, it doesn't really match up a whole lot to how piracy plays out so much in terms of finances, dangers, the cultural role of women, and the huge decline in recent years due to both government and international crackdown and protections.

It's up to you if you want to maintain the piracy angle, as Liz has said, the big thing is that so long as this is low key, the past will be up to whomever enrolls. I suggest however, if it's more just the desire for a piracy angle you want, to consider making her background one of international environmental piracy. (ALA Sea Shepard, ((there are many other groups and more grassroot units but they're most well known/documented))) While vastly different, it would likely remove a lot of the snags a female Somali child pirate would have while still offering a good deal of the OG background of growing up around water, having a criminal history, semi-'positive' impact to small rural community etc etc and probably help bring it into play more.
Piracy can occur in any location basically, but in the case of distinctly the west African coast, namely Somalia, violence against women and it being so intricate somewhat derides the history, leading to it feeling very exceptional and near unbelievable. If you maintain it, just be aware that even if not in play, the history should still acknowledge the real world setting that it'd be taken from and drawbacks within.

Also @ weapon being heirloom A+! As far as I know, what you have down is fine then! OuOb

Mythee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:58 pm
iStoleYurVamps

Amiguh Sea Shepherd, so cool >O

Ohh, I see why you thought it made no sense, now! It was probably because I was unclear;
She's not Somalian; She's French from France and so are her parents. Her dad and his partners brought the resources and leadership to begin their operation in coastal East Africa (like the drug cartel leadership that gets puts into focus in the Netflix series, American Odyssey- foreigners bring in money and resources and hire the locals, but really, they dictate the rules and don't integrate into the culture)- so Somali culture and risks/dangers for women didn't really factor in to her life or her household. In typical culturally annoying manner, the foreign leaders managed the whole operation and hired the locals who who would follow them and that includes their own rules of operation, which include, don't mess with your boss's daughter or any of our other employees for that matter, or you get fired.

Hope that clears things up!

I was actually contacted by more staff (NOW THREE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN BROUGHT INTO THIS. THE SHAAAME XD Why am I so bad at app) there are some kinks still to be worked out, apparently- I think those kinks will be fixed by two three things,

1) Mention of Hervé's grandfather on her dad's side having possessed the fear-vision, so that establishes the blood connection
2) Stating that due to her dad doting on her, she's only been taking care of more low-key illegal smuggling operations, thus removing Hervé from being constantly invested in the more intense criminal operations and making her more of a viable candidate for Deus recruitment
3) Mentioning more of how fearvision played into her personality, like her love of the sea in part being due to getting away from the shadows

Zoobey
Not sure if you saw my reply due to flooded inbox since it's still in your outbox a few days after sending it, or if there was some kinda PM glitch, so just in case I'm quoting you here because I'm saying the same suggested tweaks here as in my PM xD

Mythee

Festive Explorer

iStoleYurVamps

iStoleYurVamps

Crew

Trash Husband

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:44 pm
Awesome, and yes, that does clear up a great deal! I'm guessing as of right now you're working one on one with an admin so they'll be able to assist from here. I can help as best I'm able if you have any more nuanced questions or thing about deus in general.

Mythee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:16 pm
BASIC CHARACTER KIT WHAT DO I DO NEXT

Welcome to This is Halloween!

Congratulations! Your character has passed the enrollment process and you're cleared to begin playing. Essentially, this means you can get your art certed, make your character's journal, and most importantly start RPing. If you're a little lost then don't worry, this guide is here to point you in the right direction.

gaia_crown [ Art Check! ]:

- Do you have your character's art? Great! Move onto the next crown.

- If you do NOT yet have your art, you may now contact your artist and let them know that they may now start on creating your character!

gaia_crown [ Certs & Emblems ]:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

- If your character is a STUDENT, you may create a customized student pin for them. This is entirely optional (but fun!) special badge that is unique to your character's design! You can find more information about pins (also known as their emblem) here.

- Hallowen characters (Students & Horsemen) may bet their character certed here!

- Hunters may get their certs here!

gaia_crown [ Creating a Journal ]:

- A journal is a thread where you can keep track of your character's accomplishments, RPs, progress, relationships, etc!

- All HALLOWEEN characters (Students & Horsemen) may create one here!

- All Hunters may create one here!

gaia_crown [ Let's RP! ]:

- Don't be shy about RPing! As soon as your character has been enroll approved you can start! Check out this awesome information about The World of Halloween and Amityville Academy. All students start off in Amityville academy. Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All students are invited to participate!

- If you are a Hunter, you will want to read the Hunter Newbie Guide Icly, your character will be given access to a pamphlet and invitation to an orientation. Occasionally GMs will promote and open MISSION orps. These usually happen in the main Deus subforum and be followed by a guild announcement. All Hunters are invited to participate!

- If you are a Horsemen, please refer to here and the handy links in the first post as well as the other posts for concurrent and quest information! Need more things to do? Check out this whole subforum! Anything labelled Activity is open for you! Occasionally GMs will promote and open CLASSROOM orps. These usually happen in the classroom subforum. All Horsemen are invited to participate!

gaia_crown [ What's happening currently? ]:
- We try to keep all important things happening regularily updated in the ANNOUNCEMENTS THREAD. This goes for ALL FACTIONS. Have a question? Ask it in the Q & A !

gaia_crown [ Still feeling a little lost or overwhelmed? That's okay! ]:
- Check out what was just mentioned in FULL DETAIL HERE! Don't be too overwhelmed, there's time to sort everything out. For now, just enjoy some simple RP!

gaia_crown [ Finding RP ]:
- There's a bunch of ways to find RP. You can just contact a friend or any shop regular OR one of our available GMS for help! Otherwise, there are a lot of people looking to plot with YOU in their plotting threads! You can even make your own and advertise in your sig/ in the main thread/ etc etc!

- In addition any thread marked ORP is open for you to join!

- If you ever feel lost as a newbie, our many GMs are more than happy to one on one RP with you to help your character get acquainted. Send a PM to WE ARE HALLOWEEN and we can get you started this way as well. Otherwise, enjoy immersing yourself in the many RPS in TiH! It is all about discovery after all!

lizbot
Vice Captain

No Faun

{ Halloween Subspace } --- Quests and character approval

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas