Welcome to Gaia! ::

Weird Inc.

Back to Guilds

Shitposting with class. 

Tags: Contests, Friends, Gold, Polls, Spam 

Reply Serious Discussions and Debates
Dog breeding: is it an ethical practice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it ethical?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Qwertea
Captain

IRL Gaian

11,725 Points
  • Battery 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Rat Conqueror 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm
Dog breeding: is it an ethical practice?

When you think of dogs you probably think of one of your favorite pure breeds. For instance, my favorite purebred dog would be a boxer or a pit bull.
Purebreds usually have a myriad of genetic problems, like boxers are prone to neurological issues like seizures and they are very prone to cancer. Other breeds like dalmatians are prone to blindness and deafness. Most bulldogs have to have c-sections because the puppies heads are way too big to fit through the birth canal naturally. Pugs have breathing issues because of the way that their snout is formed, they are also prone to obesity. Dachshunds are synonymous with back issues for obvious reasons.
Great Danes have a short life span because of their hearts, their valves do not work properly and dogs with this condition do not live long.

The reason why genetic health issues are so prevalent in purebreds is because inbreeding is rampant. We know the adverse effects of inbreeding with humans after all just look at the Egyptians and you could also look the demise of the Hapsburgs. It's just as bad for animals. It also doesn't help that people are mainly after these dogs for "looks" . Most are unaware of all the issues that these dogs can have.

It also doesn't help that shelters are full of unwanted dogs, you can save so much money by adopting a mutt and you'll have a healthier dog because the dog has a wider gene pool. A lot of purebreds get dumped at shelters because people don't want to care for all of the health issues that they have. My local shelter gets owner surrender purebreds almost weekly, I see them on my Facebook...

So are you for breeding or against?

Personally I think we need very strict regulations for dog breeding, I think the laws in my state at least are too lax. Genetic testing on all animals including puppies should be required. Yearly and random inspections for kennels and dog health should be required. If we have more than a certain amount of breeders for one breed then no one else can legally breed and sell puppies from that breed in the state. I want some hardcore restrictions and laws so that people who love the breed and want to do it responsibly will do it. I want these backyard idiots shut down. I can't tell you how many idiot backyard breeders flood the local buy, sell and trading groups on Facebook.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:24 am
Breeding can potentially be a great thing for the variety of dogs out there. After all without breeding they'd probably look like a bunch of dull, brown colored, floppy-eared mutts. But for the most part I can't say breeding is a good thing. Few breeders put forth the effort needed to reduce genetic disorders and worse yet, even support it.
Dogs shouldn't have giant hearts, pushed in muzzles, tiny legs, and deformed skulls. Look at the most deformed breed of all, the English bulldog. Doesn't typically live up to 10 years when a healthy dog not fed a diet of preservatives and fillers we call dog food can make it to 20. Can you say you love a breed when it's destined to struggle to breathe and is so misshapen they have to be raped to reproduce? I watched a video of a guy making his kids assist him hold 2 dogs down on his lap and force penetration. Poor female probably felt horrified.
No, dog breeding has gotten seriously out of hand. We need to force permits and check ups on breeders and fines for the ones who don't meet standards. But thanks to the good old AKC health is not a top priority for breeds and their influence is slowly killing millions of dogs for the people who "love" them.

A-B0T

Dapper Wolf

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Serious Discussions and Debates

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items