Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dragon Castle (A Roleplaying Community)

Back to Guilds

We are a guild with heavy emphasis on community and enjoyable roleplaying. Join us and find your place within Dragon Castle! 

Tags: Roleplaying, Fantasy, Community, Writing, Creativity 

Reply Profiles
Coma's Puppets

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mintysprig

High-functioning Marshmallow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 pm
emotion_rainbow a thread of my very own to house all my characters emotion_rainbow

• Xia Min Ya
  • Xia Bao Ming

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm
        User Image

--------------------《The Pieces of Me》-----------------------------------

Hello! My name is Xia Min Ya.

Some people like to call me Minnie.

I am 24 years old, and I am female.

I am 4'11" tall

I identify as pansexual.

I am a selkie spy.

--------------------《This is who I am!》-----------------------------------

Personality
            The easiest way to sum Min Ya up is 'free spirit'. The woman is always throwing her all into every moment with an energy that most simply can't match. She's not really hyper so much as bursting with emotion, to the point where her herd was convinced she simply felt things on a deeper level than everyone else. She was never simply sad or happy, but miserable or euphoric. Thankfully, Min Ya is also a diehard optimist, so this trait usually just means her default state is a bubbly, smiley woman who just wants to share her good feelings with everyone else. She's extremely curious but gets bored by lectures or books easily, preferring a more hands-on approach to exploring. This means Min Ya can and will get her hands on everything and everyone, so anyone dealing with her should be prepared to have their stuff rifled through and to be hugged and touched a lot. Despite how friendly Min Ya appears, she's a private person and isn't the easiest to get to know. She would rather just learn everything about you instead of waste time talking about herself is all.

Powers and Abilities
            Min Ya's specialty is in stealth and information gathering. It shouldn't be a surprise that Min Ya has spent a lot of time learning how to sneak into places she's not supposed to be or that her curious nature means she has loads of information that she is constantly set on expanding. She has a certain genius at coming up with convincing disguises and has recently has mastered the art of lock picking.

She prefers to sneak away from situations when they get violent, but, when escape isn't a real option, Min Ya has a few knives coated in some paralyzing poison, courtesy of her brother. It takes about half an hour before it starts taking effect, but Min Ya is usually agile enough to keep herself from getting too hurt before the timer is up and she can walk away.

As expected, Min Ya is attuned to the water, like all of her kind. She can manipulate it in her human form, though she can't create it out of thin air and she never quite got the hang of manipulating solid forms of it.

Items
            Min Ya carries around four knives on a belt that are usually coated in some kind of toxin that her brother threw together. She also has a chest just filled with various dyes, makeup, and clothing to disguise herself with--and sometimes just for playing dress up.

The History
            Min Ya was born as one of the 'rare, exotic' creatures on Mazu Island--a selkie, a special type of merfolk or therianthrope, depending on which egghead you ask. Most of her childhood was spent as a regular old seal, hanging out with her herd, eating fish, being cooed at by tourists, and just enjoying everything roughing it had to offer. But there eventually came a time when Minnie felt bored of it all. She had already done the seal routine a million times over and, while absolutely fantastic, she couldn't help noticing that there was a whole other kind of life out there. In fact, there were billions of them! But, Minnie only knew how to morph into a human, so her dreams of chilling on some rooftop as a seagull would have to wait.

Shedding your skin like a coat to become human was a quirk that most in her herd were capable of, but it was a fickle ability at best. Like it or not, selkies were most at home in the sea and instincts would always overcome even the strongest of wills to return before long. The only time any selkie was even heard of staying on land for longer than a season, some foul play was usually the culprit. There was always one or two selkies every generation forced to remain on land because some jerk stole their skin. While Min Ya found this act detestable, it did mean that, for whatever reason, selkie skins were in demand. Finding someone to hide it from her until she was done adventuring as a human shouldn't have been too hard.

But, after months of waving her old skin around at tourists on the shore, she found that it was pretty hard. Turns out, the reason humans stole selkie skins wasn't that they made great rugs, but that it was easier to rope a stranded selkie into marriage or whatever. Finding that type of person didn't really appeal to Min Ya, so she instead looked for the first decent looking person and slid it under their door. From there, she spent the rest of the season bumming around on the beach and begging her old seal friends for some food now that hunting was way harder and people were less likely to throw scraps at her. Still, it was the best time of her life--until instincts kicked in and she really, really needed her skin back now.

But, when Min Ya went to track down the person she gave it to, it turned out they had already sold it. Or gave it to a cousin. Or thrown it away. Or turned it into jerky. Or--well, they just weren't sure what they had done with it. It definitely wasn't on the island anymore, that's for sure. Min Ya was stuck with perpetual homesickness that only felt to get worse with each passing day. She wasn't sure what she was going to do until her brother approached her and offered to join her on land. Having a member of her herd nearby made the idea of never returning to the ocean easier to bear, so she shook off her gloom and headed off the island with him to see what the world had to offer.

---------------《The One pulling my strings》------------------------------

Serendipitous Coma

mintysprig

mintysprig

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:01 pm
        User Image

--------------------《The Pieces of Me》-----------------------------------

Hello! My name is Xia Bao Ming.

Some people like to call me my name.

I am 26 years old, and I am male.

I am 5'7" tall

I identify as pansexual.

I am a selkie healer.

--------------------《This is who I am!》-----------------------------------

Personality
            At first impression, Bao Ming is a complete grouch. He's quick to criticize and point out the flaws of others with an air of the unimpressed. It would be one thing if he got some kind of pleasure out of it, but he always follows any discovery with extreme disappointment and an attempt to guilt the other for not being better than that. He's a cynic and avoids any acts of goodwill, feeling uncomfortable accepting help or friendship unless he can figure out what the other is getting out of it. It's not that he's jaded or anything of the sort, but rather that Bao Ming isn't selfless and has trouble believing in the possibility that someone else could be. Beyond that, Bao Ming is an inquisitive, playful soul with a good sense of humor. He's extremely respectful to those he feels have earned it and will bend over backward to receive the validation or praise of his superiors. As much as he likes being on top, Bao Ming likes being around his betters more.

Powers and Abilities
            Bao Ming was born with an exceptional talent for healing magic. Starting at a young age, he was responsible for the injuries of all of his herd and any other sea creatures that they came across, which means he's had a ton of practice. His abilities have only advanced since he began studying medicine and he now is capable of healing more than the obvious wound or broken bone.

He can stop internal bleeding, cure a good many diseases, and flush out poisons with ease, to name a few. The ability is exhausting and painful for the receiver, given all the hard work Bao Ming's magic is forcing their body to perform--and that's just it. Bao Ming's style of magic is less about taking away the injury, but forcing the body to go through the processes it's already capable of, except faster. This can help to stop an otherwise fatal injury or keep an injured seal swimming, but, if he has to resort to it, it will drain the receiver of much-needed energy and, once out of adrenaline, likely will put them out for a good, long while, sometimes even weeks.

Bao Ming's magic can be used offensively too, though he prefers not to resort to such ghastly tactics. He can locate old breaks or wounds and reverse the healing, stimulate the immune system to force an anaphylactic shock, or just deal pain by healing whatever wounds they have accrued and gamble on them passing out or being immobilized from the exhaustion of it all. The drawback to all of this is that Bao Ming needs to be in contact with the target for it to work and, if he's close enough to touch, he's likely to be hurt due to his lack of hand-to-hand combat ability.

Items
            Bao Ming has acquired a little silver cat since leaving the ocean that he has named Newt. He also carries a bag with some basic first aid supplies, as well as a ton of books and writing supplies that he makes his sister carry.

The History
            Bao Ming was raised primarily in the ocean, but, from a young age, the selkie had already started exploring and interacting with the people of Mazu Island. He enjoyed being a seal just fine, but there were so many more interesting things on land to explore that his herd was generations from touching. Unlike his sister, his focus was more on human innovation rather than other's personal experiences or popular culture, especially things like musical instruments or medicine. True, like most species related to merfolk, Bao Ming had an excellent singing voice and, more uniquely, he had a special talent in healing magic. But those talents of his were precisely why he found it all so fascinating--dreadful, talentless humans had managed to overcome their flaws with things like dead trees or mashed up herbs! Bao Ming was impressed and, to no surprise to anyone who knows Bao Ming at all, he just couldn't have that.

As an adolescent, Bao Ming sought to master the very things that gave humans an edge over his personal talents. He introduced himself as an apprentice doctor to the local magic-less healer on the island and left the waters every day to study under them. It didn't take very many years before he had learned everything he could from the human, even going a couple steps further to invent his own methods and cures. He wrote letters to the leading medical practitioners, asking questions and offering his own advice whenever possible. By twenty-one, Bao Ming had fully integrated into the medical society of what he considered the modern world. All from the shore of a little tourist hot spot and as a magical being who could easily cure a lot of the injuries that baffled these intelligent people. In fact, his better understanding of medicine gave his healing abilities a boost, not that anyone in his herd really appreciated it. They were impressed when eight-year-old Bao Ming could heal a broken fin.

Still, he couldn't complain too much about being so well-respected both in and out of water. It almost made the sting of being such a poor musician feel just a little better. There weren't too many local entertainers on Mazu Island willing to teach the local doctor about how to properly play a flute or harpsichord, not wanting the extra competition in an already difficult line of work. Bao Ming respected their shrewdness, true, but it was frustrating when only people slightly above a beginner were friendly enough to give him some tutelage. It didn't take long for him to throw himself into his medical studies instead, even diverging a bit into poisons. That's probably the turning point in his relationship with the Islanders.

One loudmouth decided to inform some other gossips about Bao Ming's side businesses selling the poisons he had come up with. It eventually reached his 'master', though Bao Ming had long stopped considering the local human doctor as his master. His master gave him the cold shoulder, leading the rest of the island to do the same. Jaded, Bao Ming was seconds from joining some pirates to get some revenge on the Islanders when his little sister lost her skin. He returned to his herd to find that they were all in the dumps about his sister's sorry state and, upon learning what had happened, he saw a way out. He never had the heart to truly leave his herd, but he could justify it if it was to help his sister fix her dumb mistake. So, with the praise of his herd, Bao Ming left with his sister off the island to find her missing skin.

---------------《The One pulling my strings》------------------------------

Serendipitous Coma

Profiles

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff