Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A couple of rules I'm kind of unsure about..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold?
  thank you
View Results

KiraLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:07 pm
As the subject says, I'm not really sure about a couple of grammar rules. please help biggrin

1. When do I use "come" and "go"

2. What is the number rule? The one I've heard the most is the one where anything under 10 is written as digits. But my English teacher says that this isn't always the case, but he doesn't know what the actual rule is..  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:26 pm
KiraLight
As the subject says, I'm not really sure about a couple of grammar rules. please help biggrin
I'll try and help you out.

Quote:
1. When do I use "come" and "go"
I think the simplist way to put it was 'come', if it's to you, and 'go', if it's away from you, such as "come over here," or "go over there"...Though I'm not really sure what you mean. Is there a specific example you'd like to discuss?

Quote:
2. What is the number rule? The one I've heard the most is the one where anything under 10 is written as digits. But my English teacher says that this isn't always the case, but he doesn't know what the actual rule is..
No, always in full type ('one, two, three etc.'), unless, of course, you are in maths, writing a numbered list, or writing informal texts and want to make short-cuts. And I think dates might sometimes be okay in digit form (5th July, etc.)...Yes; and it's definately acceptable to write out a year in digit form (e.g. 1990). Yeah...I think that's it...

I've never really had to think about the first one, and I think it's neater to write out the number in word form, so I do that.

Ithaya

lola_siannodel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:13 pm
With the number thing, I don't think there is a rule. although if you are being formal, it would be beter to write it out.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:21 pm
Ikonik Angel
I think the simplist way to put it was 'come', if it's to you, and 'go', if it's away from you, such as "come over here," or "go over there"...Though I'm not really sure what you mean. Is there a specific example you'd like to discuss?
um..like "Do you want to come to the mall with us?"
or something like that
cuz I've heard loads of people say it like "Do you want to go to the mall with us", including my english teacher
but it doesn't sound right!! so I don't know if it's come or go..  

KiraLight

aznspartan94

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:07 pm
I think that digits under a hundred or so should be written out for better presentation and reading since writing out long numbers such as 109824397 would take a long time. Numbers such as dates and times should be written out though.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:56 am
For the mall thing, I'd say "go to the mall" since you're all going there from your houses. On the other hand, if they were already there and were calling you on their cell phones, then it would be "come to the mall" since you'd be going to them.

I write out numbers below ten and use the digital form for 11 and above. I read somewhere that that's the proper way to do it.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:29 pm
Shinobi 1977
For the mall thing, I'd say "go to the mall" since you're all going there from your houses. On the other hand, if they were already there and were calling you on their cell phones, then it would be "come to the mall" since you'd be going to them.

I write out numbers below ten and use the digital form for 11 and above. I read somewhere that that's the proper way to do it.

That would be right, technically.

With the numbers, I'll just base what I do on the context.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:06 pm
I don't have a specific example to show you, but the general rule I have always followed is one of consistency. If you're writing your address on an envelope, like this ;

Joe Schmoe
26 Hammer Lane
Anytown USA

you would not spell out the number. Some documents, such as legal papers, have the number and the spelled-out number like this - I hearby grant my cousin Joe Schmoe one-hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) or vice versa. Same deal with abbreviations. If you abbreviate a state, like N.Y., you should also abbreviate others. If you spell out New York, you should also spell out Florida.

What I tend to have issues with "had come" or "had went". People say things such as "I picked up my friend and we had went to the club."
I hate that.  

Aramethea

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:02 pm
Ikonik Angel
Shinobi 1977

That would be right, technically.

With the numbers, I'll just base what I do on the context.

I think if you are doing a piece of formal writing you are supposed to type out anything under one hundred or numbers that end in two or more zeroes, at least that's what my English teacher says.  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 6:59 pm
See, my english teacher has us write out anything under a hundred.

By there is no true standard. If your trying to be safe no one is going to get mad at your for saying you bought fifty eggs. On the other hand, the number of poeple picky enough to care if you said you bought 50 eggs is small, so I wouldn't fret too much.

Though most people wouldn't want to eating 2 pizzas. That's sort of rude, both in terms of manners and grammer.

I agree with msot of the discussion about come and go, though of course it is fluid because "We can go to the mall." IS correct, but so is "Would you like to come with me to the mall." So.

I'd say default to "go" though, if your nto sure. That's far safer.  

Hyotana

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff