Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Cosplay Help
Cosplay Budget Guide

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:10 pm
Cosplay Budget Guide

Hey Guys!

This thread is to help save money on your cosplay making. Cosplay can cost a pretty penny and I'm here to safe you the money. My goal is for you to be able to make a cosplay for $100 or less for simple cosplays.

I base my advice on several things sales, time, tools, and ability. I'm going to give you tips on when to buy, is making an item worth your time, will buying a certain tool be worth your money, and if you don't have the ability is it worth you developing it (like paying for classes).

Hope you enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:13 pm
Times that making something may not be worth your money

One way to save money is looking for items that are not worth your time doing from scratch. I've compiled a list of items that you can easily buy instead of trying to fight and make. Keep in mind that there are some items that are too difficult to find. In that case you'll have to make it more likely that not.

1. Button Down Collared Shirts
First they're a pain in the butt to make, second you just need a long sleeve collared shirt to make any collared shirt you want and short sleeves aren't that hard to find as well. If you can't find it in a color that you want then by a white one and dye it. You can deck it out with new buttons and features. Save your money and just buy it.

2. Pants
While pants aren't hard to make per say. It's still hard to get that belt line right. Most pants are pretty basic anyways and it's not hard to alter or deck them out in any way you need to.

3. T-Shirts
Again plentiful and cheap. You can go to a craft store and easily get them for 2 or 3 dollars on sale. On top that you can dye them or deck them out however you want if they are plan.

4. Ties
Ties are super hard to make, but they could cost as much to make one as it is to go to Goodwill, or some other second hand store, and buy one. Unless the tie need some special fabric just take a basic color one and use fabric paint.

5. Socks
Socks design is easy, however sewing it and not being used the the stretch fabric can be costly. This again is one that if you can buy it then you should.

6. Shoes
Unless it some stylized shoe, don't bother making them. Instead look into boot covers and fabric paint. You can find some cheap ones at places like Ross, Burlington, a discount store, or a second hand shop.

7. Blazer
Again unless it's stylized don't bother. See about buying one instead. I would look into Amazon or a secondhand shop. Blazers are difficult to make if you're not familiar with them and they can come out sloppy looking if you're not careful.

8. Swimwear
I've never tried to make swimwear, because I know better. More experience cosplayers refuse to because of how difficult it is to the point that if they can't find it online, they aren't going to do it. The fabric is pricey and difficult to work with.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:47 am
Look for Savings at Craft Stores

This one is a waiting game. Save your money and wait till it's on sale is my best advice. Keep a record of coupons as well. I will be breaking down sales at the 3 major craft stores as well as tips for local haunts as well.

Joann Fabrics
Joann Fabrics is a great place to save. If you wait for the right moment you can get items anywhere from 50% to 70% it's normal retail value. They also have coupons and an app to help you with coupons. Here is my advice for shopping at Joann. Joann is probably the cheapest of the stores to buy fabric.

1) Get the App
The app does a lot of things. You can buy stuff online, look up project videos, find out if something is one sale, and it carries you coupons. The app has special coupons only available if you have the app and that means saving money.

2) Sign up for text messages
The text message sign up can only be done in-store, but will be worth it. The texts are almost always additional coupons and usually gives you the best app coupon with a different code. This means if the best coupon is 60% then it doubles the amount to 2 60% coupons.

3) Find out items if items are on sale in advance
If you go to a Joann and see an item you want, but not on sale. Take the item to an attendant and as what the current price is and if it'll be on sale soon. Watch for sales around the holidays like Thankgiving and Christmas. It's usually worth going to Black Friday. The only exception to this rule is if it's a book. If there is a sale or coupon for books then use it no matter what.

4) Plan your ideas in advance
If you wait for something to go on sale the cycle can be six months to a year. These means knowing what you want to do a year in advance will allow you to save. If you wait you can get anything for 50% to 70% off normal pricing.

5) Just grab them items
There are some items that you may not want to wait and they do rarely go on sale. Some of these items include the Character/Team fabrics and the Premium Cotton. If you can get these items for 40% it's still pretty good since they probably for 50% once or twice a year.

6) Check Clearance
This one is a must. The clearance fabric is color coded and most are no less than 30-40% off and as high as 70%. This is a great way to get character fabrics for cheap as well as formal wear and costume fabrics such as Ya Ya Han. Don't forget to check there other item clearance area.

Michael's
Another popular craft store, this place is great for ribbon, mask masking material, jewelry supplies, and painting crafts.

1) Get the App
Like Joann's the getting the app is worth your time.

2) Watch those Jewelry Prices
Micheal's frequently puts it's beads on sale the best ones are buy one get one for free and 50%, but if you're patient the holidays usually go up to 70%.

3) Check the Clearance
Micheal's usually has some really cool items in clearance. Some items to look out for include jewelry, paints, glue, and fun trinkets. They also place their broken items on a discount in that area. If you see something broke and you feel you can fix or alter it, then it may be worth your time.

Hobby Lobby

1) Wait a month
Hobby Lobby cycles through their sales after a month. So if it's going to be on sale. It'll be on sale within a month.

2) Remember there is a 40% coupon on line
Use it only if it doesn't go on sale or the sales (like fabric) only go to 30%.

3) Check the Clearance
Well most of Hobby Lobby clearance items are not worth it, however there are times that it is. If these items are on clearance grab them if you feel like you'd use them: Jewelry, ribbon, books, wedding supplies, and accessories.

Other Stores
Wal-Mart: Great place for paint, try Folkart.
Dollar Stores: Socks, hair accessories, 1" Ribbon, sewing kits, organizers, fake flowers.
Ross: Check out their craft section if you're in. You can get some really great crafting tools, fabric paint, or organizers. Best to time to look is right after Christmas in January to February.
Local Craft Stores: Most craft stores specialize in quilting and cotton fabrics, but they will have designs that the high ends wont.

Other Tips

Patterns
When it comes to pattern sales these prices are what what you want to see in a sale.
Simplicity, McCalls, and Butterick: $2 or less
New Look and Kwick: Rarely on sale
Vogue and Burda: $5 or less

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:07 am
Finding Basic Pre-made Pieces for Cheap

Remember I wont leave you guys hanging on where to find pre-made things for cheap. I got them right here. Here are my tips and tricks for finding pre-made items that you can leave plain or alter a bit.

1) Goodwill
Goodwill has a lot of variety and a lot of really basic items like button-down collared shirts. The new stuff comes out every Tuesday so Tuesday nights are the best times to check out the store. Around Halloween is also really go time to check out what they have. You may find really good quality item.

Items to look for:
Button-down collared shirts
Vest
Dresses
Shoes
Craft/Fabric
Skirts
Manga
Bed sheets (for sewing)
Sewing Machines (Usually around $30)

2) Other Thrift and Second Hand Stores
Most of the same rules apply as Goodwill, however if you're going to a mom and pop store then you need to really look at everything in the clothing category. They're more likely to have vintage clothing.

3) Antique Stores
This one is a must for classic geek fare, vintage clothing, sewing patterns, and fabrics. You wont regret talking just a look around and may even stumble across a piece of authentic ethnic clothing.

4) Ross and DD's
Ross and DD's is an every growing company of discounted clothes that are new and usually perfectly normal. They're also also a great buy (unless we're talking about the candy). While there are many great items year round the coolest things come around Christmas.

Things to look out for:
Craft Supplies
Geek Toys
Storage Items
Men's Button Down Collared tops
Women's Tank Tops
Formal Dresses
Shoes
Make Up
Mugs

5) Marshall's and T.J. Max

While not as cheap as their competitors, they still are better than shopping at name brand stores.

7) Burlington

Another clothing store that is a must to check out. They have great prices on jewelry and shoes.

8 ) Other Discount Stores

With other Discount stores, you don't know what you're going to find for penny's to the dollar. It could be anything to craft stuff to a TV. I recommend learning if your town has any and visiting them at least once a week.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:27 am
Always Have The Basics

Having the basics of every day clothing means having the basics for anime costumes too. This thread is talking about the what basic items that you have in your everyday life that could use in pieces in costumes without changing them or modifying them. My next post will be more about creating pieces that can be used over and over

White and/or Black Button Down Collared Shirt
There are many characters who students, business men/OL, or even some type of agent.

Black Pants and/or Black Pencil Skirt
Going again with this Office worker/agent idea. While black pants can also be used for some school boy outfits. Black pants are more diverse than that, but it'll give you an idea to start. Blue pants will also work for a lot of male cosplays.

Black Blazier
Pretty much for the same reason as above. You need a matching set right?

Black Dress Shoes
Dress shoes are fairly common in with many looks. This shoe could be pennyloafers, dress shoes, or heels.

Black and/or Red Tie
Going along with that business/school look you'll need a tie. Black is the most common if your cosplaying a guy, but if you're going a girl then red.

Black and/or Brown Boots
There are plenty of character, mostly sci-fi/fantasy, that wear boots and having a pair of black and/or brown boots covers a lot of them.

Black Ballet Flats
Black ballet flats go with a lot of characters too. Girls as look as the shoes are seen then you use this flat.

Trench Coat
This one you want in black or tan. Having a black one will give you a larger range, but there are still plenty of characters that use tan.

Lab Coat
You could be doing a mad scientist or a doctor. What ever it is. This may be a good item to have on had.

Black Vest
This one goes with many cosplays from steampunk, gothic, business, school and much more.

White Apron
Think baker, servant, steampunk, medieval, and a whole lot more characters wear white aprons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:16 am
Let People Know

There is another way to get fabric for cheap or free. It doesn't happen often, but it's usually worth it.

I recommend telling people you're a sewer and crafter. If they know and they too are a crafter/sewer then it's likely that one day they'll be clearing out their crafting stash and find stuff they don't need. Who are they going to go to. You.

When someone is cleaning their craft stash it's often that it's going to be a decent grab and you'll come away with at least five items without much work for them.

I swear to this method. I've gotten old items from plenty of people both related to me and not. I started my bead collection this way and have some really cool vintage fabrics as well.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:29 am
Pick Something Multiple Characters Wear

There is two ways to look at this statement. You can rewear a costume that is the same as multiple characters or you can rewear something that is an individual that many characters can wear. In each section I'll be giving multiple ideas on cosplays that work for many characters.

Many Characters, One Look

Like a show? Like many characters from the show? Do they wear the same thing?

If so great! It means you only need one outfit and you can just switch around details and wigs to do more characters. Buy a wig and accessories is cheaper than doing a whole new out. This of it this way a whole new outfit can cost about $120, but just wig and accessories cost $10-70 max depending on the pieces and wig. That means if you do a new character each year or con you're looking at saving $50-110 each time.

Here's some examples of cosplays that repeat itself:

Akatsuki Members from Naruto
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Bleach Cast

My Hero Academia School Outfits
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Recycling Pieces

There is also opportunity to use individual pieces in multiple costumes. Each time you do so it saves you the value of the piece.

For examples:

School girls with blue skirts. Blue skirts are common and often have a button down collared shirt. Socks and shoes vary, but that's at least up to $50 saved.

How about Mario and Luigi. Save overalls, just different hats and shirts.

White Underkimono's are really common too and work with almost any kimono wearing character.

Take your time and look at what is out there. You may be surprised what you don't have to remake.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Saving Wigs

Here are several ways to think about how to save money with wigs. This does not cover the best places to buy wigs. This is more about reusing wigs.

Get a basic wig for multiple characters

There are some hair styles that you'll see over and over in anime and maybe investing in doing these characters will help you save some money.

Here are some examples of multiple characters with the same hair style:

Naruse from Orange, Kageyama from Haikyuu!!, Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist, Oscar from RWBY, and Kyoya from Ouran High School Host Club.

Ex. 2: Lacus from Gundam Seed, Hakaze from Blast of Tempest, and Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Just Add a Hair Piece
While many hair styles are similar some of them are different with maybe a bun or a ponytail. You can buy clips to attach to wigs. Clips are cheaper sometimes then buying a whole new wig.

Ex. Tsugumi from Nisekoi and Tana from Fire Emblem: Scared Stones
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Restyle an Old Wig

Ex. 1: Sora from Digimon 00 and Kyoko from Skip-Beat
Done with simple movement of the hair

Ex. 2: Sicily from Wise Mans grandchild and Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion
This one is done with cutting the wig shorter.

Ex 3. Honey from Ouran High School Host Club and Touru from Princess Princess
Dying your wig can save you money since it'll give you a little more time with the wig in a different color. However This one works if the wig is lighter than the character's hair. You can't turn a dark wig to light, bleach will ruin the wig.

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 pm
Check out Con Panels

Check out what panels are happening at a con.

There are some panels that are must to look out when developing your cosplays. Not only can you find sources of information, but many panels have cosplayers who win awards as the panelist. This is great because you can ask them questions and have them answered. Which means if you're having trouble with a costume, they'll tell you how to fix it. Some may even approach you later and ask you more questions even or other people (non-panelist) will give advice too.

There is also a new tread where the panel is a swap met. There are several types. One is the exchange of outfits and the other is an exchange of material. This is great for two reasons. 1. you can get a new costume or material for cheap and 2. you can sell something that you don't want anymore and make a few dollars or get a new piece.

Look for panels with these type of names:
Cosplay 101, 102, or 201
Lolita, Decora 101
Swap Meet
Prop Making
Armor Making
Chainmail 101
Historical textiles
Kimonos 101
Mask Making
Steampunk 101

Just as a few examples. There are tons more different type of panels out there that are related to skill development and swap meets as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:04 pm
Using Dyes and fabric Paints

Sometimes you can't find the right color for a fabric or you have an outfit that fades into a different color. You do have an option of getting the fabric custom made, but you're looking at paying a lot more per yard than what you could get for the same amount of money and buying Dye.

Dyeing if fairly easy, but many are intimidated by it. Just remember the more dye in the pot the deeper the color and always start out with a sample piece first.

The effect will allow you to have that fade in and out color affect or the right shade you're looking for.

You can also splash dye for added effects to create an outfit.

example of when to dye.

Likewise Fabric paint can be used for creating details in outfits that you would otherwise have to buy or embroider onto the fabric. Fabric paints come in both paint and marker/pen form.

examples:

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
Cosplay Help

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers