Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:52 am
User Image
This thread tells the story of Wightrose Watercrisp's first autumn alone.

TWC: 685 + 492 = 1177  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:53 am
The Season Changes for Everyone.

Wightrose's hometown was across an impassable waste. Yet somehow she had been lost (purposely) there and found (accidentally) across the way within a few interminably long days. The centaur family that had put her up during the fair were travelers and unable to help her any further. So they had left her with a little money and some food to get her started on her new life. She had been overwhelmed by their generosity!

Sleeping above a tavern and working below, she had discovered what labor was really like. Carrying sacks of grain, scrubbing tables, polishing glasses, breaking the ice off the water barrel and carrying buckets of it back inside, tending to the fire and dinner, sweeping up the floors, brushing and feeding horses in the barn and changing their straw and hay (and not to mistake the two), she had never worked so hard in her life. Her employer had been dubious, in fact, that she would be able to handle it. But her stubbornness and desperation had been surprising fuel for her fire, so to speak. And she was surprising her employer daily. Not only that, but she had helped financially by teaching a few mathematical tricks in the check book, and a sneaky way to get more money out of those guys who liked to sit around all day playing cards.

The Summer began to wane and the Fall stepped out in its full glory. The trees began to change and dance with the breeze like painted ballroom skirts. She had a small window that she could lean outside and gaze at the scenery. Patrons walking by the tavern in the early morning sometimes saw her and called up to her in gentle, neighborly voices. She was the princess of their small town. She was actually happier now than she had been since she was a tiny foal.

Today she was out for a stroll through the market. Fall had become chilly and she had saved up money to buy some essentials. She went to a jeweler to sell some of her jewelry that she had worn on the day of her kidnapping. Now, she had decided that part of letting that time go was to part ways with her treasure. However, she had not expected them to be worth so much coin. So she decided that a new look was in order. She left to buy a fur-lined shawl and a woven blanket from two separate merchants. Then she returned to buy some new jewelry. She did not get a custom set, just one that suited her well.

"How is it that you have jewelry that matches my skin and hair?" she mused more to herself than the jeweler. Teal and red, her colors were not common by any stretch of the imagination.

"I take my inspiration from many sources," he chuckled. There was no way he was going to mention that he saw her hanging out at the window every morning. Or that the metal and contour of the stone were like the curls in her hair. Wouldn't that sound just a little bit creepy? That was not like him, he simply, literally, took inspiration from everything! "Why, I looked out this morning at all of the trees turning their colors. I have a sketchbook that I draw out my ideas. It is full of references that I am going to turn into jewelry."

Surprised by his closeness as he gazed at the stone, she couldn't help but smile. She sometimes felt inspired too, but she had no idea what she might use it on. In a way, she was jealous. "I think I understand."

She chose the pieces that were blue, teal and gold with a few accents of red. She had never expected to see herself in a piece of stone jewelry. She wore them proudly, choked up with strong emotion for a moment. Then, thanking the jeweler, she headed on her way home. Already wearing the jewelry, she could not wait to wear her shawl in the evening, or curl up with the blanket at bedtime.

WC 685  

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

Melomar

Wind-up Waffles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:04 pm
The Way to a Lady's Stomach is Through Her Mouth.

Later that day when the morning's crisp bite began to wane, Wightrose made a trip out to buy some groceries for herself. She strapped some loose travel bags on either side of her lower shoulders and made her way back through town. The fruit and vegetable sellers were very helpful with filling her bags, and the trip took little time at all! She did browse other sellers too, there was just so much this town had to offer.

On her way home, she saw a troupe of performers dancing on a public lawn. A small crowd had gathered and were watching the antics taken from a popular play. But it was all done with dance, and an interpretation she had never seen before! So she sat with her groceries beside her to watch.

When they were done, she gave a couple coins that she had left after the earlier transactions and complimented some of the dancers on their skill and story version. "I loved the part when..." and "I thought you were going to fall! Be proud of your skill!" She was so pleased with their performance, she hoped they would be staying in town for a while yet. Had they any plans for the harvest festival?

She was very happy as she made her way home. Her outing had been a great deal of fun.

One of the dancers had caught her eye because their hair curled so beautifully that she wanted to try it too. But she had forgotten to ask about it. Ah well, she thought to herself. It must have been something that was done up just before the show to ensure the curls stayed intact. They probably were not natural, they were too regular to be. There would be tigher and looser curls, more hair out of place, something... But when she realized she was fixating on something that she was jealous about, she laughed and shrugged it off. That sort of thinking did her no good. Besides, she could always ask next time.

After a stroll through the firey autumn leaves, she finally made it home. She meandered through the parking lot and through the courtyard toward her apartment out back. Then she went inside and took the stairs to the top, a second floor that was little more than a hay loft, but cozy for a single centaur. Her spot overlooked the tavern without destroying her delicate privacy. Already the cooks had started work for the day, leaving the upper floor permeated with delicious aromas, and she took a deep breath of home then opened the window to let in the cool, earthy air.

Life was a lot mellower here than back home. She found that it was definitely growing on her. She put her groceries away and headed down stairs to offer her help to anyone that should need it, as was her job to do. "Playtime's over," she said softly to herself.

WC: 492  
[IC] Chimereid Island RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff