Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
IT'S A VERB, NOT A NOUN! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

Gigglypuff

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:42 pm
Even Language Arts teachers say "quote" as a noun, though. Like...

"Ok, kids, find a quote from the story and write a five hundred page essay on it."

How can people find it wrong if their own teachers use it? Which is why teachers need to be aware of these type of things.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:46 am
You know... English is my second language, and before reading that I actually hadn't realized it was a verb because everyone uses it as a noun. 0.0
Thank you. smile  

Fatal Hilarity

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:37 am
Emmanuela
Hm, at my school everyone says 'Do you want to go to break' at break time. What they mean is 'Do you want to go to the school canteen to get something at break time?', but 'Break' has now turned into the name of a place rather then a certain time in the morning.

Similarly, there are people at my school who say "Have you had your recess yet?" (At my school we say "recess" instead of "break". This is in Sydney, Australia.) when they mean "Have you eaten yet?"

The first time my friend said that to me, the meaning wasn't very obvious, although I figured out because if it was "lunch" instead of "recess" then it would make sense. I'm used to my friends saying that, but I don't say that myself because it sounds weird. (Also, why say so much when I could just say "Have you eaten yet?")  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:04 pm
I never did notice that...But, now that it's been pointed out to me, I think that maybe society has just become lazy and saying the extra two syllables or writing out the extra four letters is too strenuous. That's just my personal idea on that, though.  

Eleusinian Mysteries

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:41 pm
I did not know this. Thanks for pointing it out. biggrin

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"I would like to quote Julius Caesar."
and
"The quotation I will be using is from Julius Caesar."

Is this right?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items