suspence
  the characters
  a strong story line
  damn good set of actors
View Results

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:22 pm
I'm surprised I haven't tripped across this yet.

I'm a big fan of horror films, as well as thrillers. More than a few of my top 20 films of all time are of the two genres... Anyway, here's a selection of some of my favorites.

Horror:
Night of the Living Dead (196 cool
Dawn of the Dead (1976)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Zombi 2*
Return of the Living Dead*
Shaun of the Dead
The Descent
Planet Terror
Nosferatu (1922)
El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
Sleepaway Camp*
The Exorcist
Psycho (1966)
Slither
Silent Hill
The Host

Thrillers:
Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
Manhunter
Shadow of the Vampire
Children of Men
Alien
Aliens
A History of Violence
Rear Window
Rope
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest
From Hell
American Psycho

*liked for the kitsch  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:32 pm
GilAskan
I'm surprised I haven't tripped across this yet.

I'm a big fan of horror films, as well as thrillers. More than a few of my top 20 films of all time are of the two genres... Anyway, here's a selection of some of my favorites.

Horror:
Night of the Living Dead (196 cool
Dawn of the Dead (1976)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Zombi 2*
Return of the Living Dead*
Shaun of the Dead
The Descent
Planet Terror
Nosferatu (1922)
El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
Sleepaway Camp*
The Exorcist
Psycho (1966)
Slither
Silent Hill
The Host

Thrillers:
Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
Manhunter
Shadow of the Vampire
Children of Men
Alien
Aliens
A History of Violence
Rear Window
Rope
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest
From Hell
American Psycho

*liked for the kitsch
excellent selection all around...I see you are a big zombie film fan razz much like myself.  

Fallentowards

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:59 pm
Yeah, I'm a very big fan of zombie films. Zombies in general, as a theme and as a device. I've always thought of them as a superior storytelling tool to almost all other "movie monsters" (vampires in particular, who share similar themes). Zombies thematically blend so many human and inhuman traits, and really make us question what makes us any different from them.

Zombies don't have wings. They don't have mysterious alien appendages, or magical powers. Zombies are human in a purely physical sense; even if they can't be killed as easily as we, they are inherently limited to the capabilities of a human being.

This seperates them from virtually all "movie monsters". And that's without even getting into the more philosophical nature of them- the statements nearly all zombie films make about apathy, stupidity ("They're only truly dead when you destroy the brain"), and struggles within any group of humans.

Even further, individual films' take on the mythos brings greater depth to statements made. Whether it be "The Dead Next Door" making statements on AIDS, or Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" making statements on blind consumerism.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:25 pm
I mostly like cult classics. Eraserhead, Nosferatu, The Hunger, and My Bloody Valentine (great B-movie) are some of my favorites.

But I still like some mainstream-recognized ones like Night of the Living Dead ("They're coming to get you, Barbara..." whee ), Aliens, The Shining, The Thing (80's version), etc.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Fallentowards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
I mostly like cult classics. Eraserhead, Nosferatu, The Hunger, and My Bloody Valentine (great B-movie) are some of my favorites.

But I still like some mainstream-recognized ones like Night of the Living Dead ("They're coming to get you, Barbara..." whee ), Aliens, The Shining, The Thing (80's version), etc.

Awesome smile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:34 pm
Time for some name dropping-

Just saw a very new (as in, it's not been in theaters in the US yet, only internationally) horror thriller, and it was absolutely amazing. Or I certainly thought it was.

It's a Scottish horror/thriller called Outpost. The movie revolves around a group of mercenaries contracted to protect a scientist on his mission through a war-torn Britain. They arrive at their destination to find an abandoned Nazi bunker, where decades past, cruel things occured. I won't give too much away, but I'll say the story blends elements of a Silent Hill-esque ghost story with very foreboding zombie elements, all set in (the always creepy) Nazi light.

The film has absolutely amazing atmosphere, and brilliant set design. Also, unlike most horror films, the characters in this one are actually smart. People don't die because they make stupid choices, or because of coincidence- the characters are all intelligent and professional mercenaries overwhelmed by their circumstances.

Some may find it to be a bit slow, but it really has some genuinely terrifying moments. The whole thing is capped off by a well written ending that's creepy, but never feels like a cheap-shot.  

GilAskan
Crew

Naztakuan

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am
DUMPLINGS by ..Fruit Chan I think  
Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items