• Caroling Champ 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:27 am
Part II: Extinguished Reflection

It is strange.

So very strange.

He takes a deep breath.

Cold and hot.

Chills and burns.

So it wasn’t just him, it was the strange object she slipped into the pocket.

Why then did he feel so vulnerable, like it had betrayed him, it had left him? He had this unsettling feeling in his stomach and he didn’t feel right. Even when getting back his powers, everything seemed so weird. So very weird. It was unnatural, and even though he heaved a sigh of relief when he had his powers back (no more shivering!) he was avoiding the use of it.

The others had noticed and asked, but he said it was nothing. He was fine and they shrugged it off; it was probably after what had happened that he was acting this way. They gave him his space and he appreciated it. It helped him to think.

Musing over it, he seemed to recollect something. It was a very distant memory. Lots and lots of flames, heat, and burns.

Burns.

He shifted apprehensively. And that big creature. That claimed he was Py...Pyrros, was it? Son of an Almighty one. What was that?

He researched it, even asked his sister, but they came up with nothing. Nothing at all.

The creature said it knew him. It knew him when it was much smaller. And it looked so very much like him! The tail, the wings, and even the orange scales that were scattered on his cheek and hands. It confirmed his fear that he might be turning into it and he was apprehensive.

It was strange, Mereneth thought. It was so confusing, so distant, yet so...so...familiar? It seemed to be something he knew, something hidden deep inside the dark depths of his heart and dug right out, and he was unsure of it because it had been there for so long.

Well, something along those lines.

He stands up and looks at himself in the mirror.

He looks like a normal boy. Ever since what happened, he has been dubious, and cloaks his tail and wings. His invisibility power seems to be the only one he is comfortable with using now. Didn’t he always like to be in the middle of attention?

No. You wanted to be unnoticeable.

He stares back into the mirror and starts. Did his reflection just talk to him? Or was it just him hallucinating again, or was it because this mirror was enchanted? Sometimes the house could be so unpredictable.

He suddenly notices that it is showing his full reflection; even those appendages he has cloaked. He swears under his breath, turning to look at himself.

Nothing.

The mirror shows what is there.

There is that voice again. He turns back to the mirror, eyes narrowing sharply. “What is going on?”

The reflection of him bursts into flames and he jumps, touching himself to make sure it isn’t really happening to him. What is going on? Fear takes over him, and only his curiosity compels him to stay.

That and if he ran out screaming, he’d be taken for a moron. As if she didn’t have enough grudges and complaints against him already. He was not going to give another person an advantage.

Funny. You never cared.

He gulps and looks into the mirror. It is still flaming, but he can see a figure, a very familiar figure. Something stirs in his memory.

That thing.

That thing before his hand when the flames engulfed him. That flurry that escaped.

You remember.

“Somewhat.” Now he’s talking to a mirror! If anyone passes by, they’ll think he’s crazy. He chances a glance at the door, it is closed. Thank goodness.

The image stirs. I haven’t forgotten you.

“What is with all the...” He hesitates, searching for the right words to say in his head. “Fire, the strange memories?”

The flames were your downfall. It is hardly surprising that you are apprehensive.

“It is my power!” He clenches his hand, but no fire appears in it. No. He can’t do it.

Maybe the flaming thing is making sense.

It was not your power in the first place. It is a gift you must learn to treasure.

“I could use it. I could. It was so easy, so thrilling...”

It is dangerous to play with fire.

“Is that a warning?”

The image moves and seems to shrug. It is a precaution.

“Why do I feel different? It’s just harder to want to use it.” The destruction, the pain kept flashing before his eyes as he did.

It is not a toy.

He sighs. “I’m a kid.” He says pointedly.

But you can be mature. The image says quietly and shifts its flaming face into a wry smile.

He lapses into thought. “I don’t even know what’s going on anymore, okay? It’s just...hard to adapt to all these changes.”

It is because you are growing. There is a proud tinge to its tone and the flames flutter. He groans and ruffles his hair with a hand with discontent.

“Everything is so cryptic. Like a riddle I have to solve.”

It is.

“I don’t understand puzzles! I’m not good at them!” The conversation is starting to frustrate him.

You can be good at anything if you put your mind to it.

“That’s not very reassuring when it comes from a magic fiery mirror.” He quips, folding his arms.

It laughs, a ruffled and tinkly laugh, yet it is slightly rough. The flames blaze higher, and even though he knows it can’t hurt him, he takes a few steps backward.

Once bitten twice shy, hmm?

“What...?”

Look at yourself. The flames disappear and his reflection appears again, smirking back at him, complete with the wings and tail, a flame on the end of the tail, burning. You are what you are.

“I thought you said it’s not my power.”

Not originally. But you possess it now, do you not?

He growls in frustration. “Why is everything so confusing?”

You’re changing. Everything’s changing.

He keeps silent and watches his reflection. The voice does not reply any longer.

Orange orbs are focused on the fire on his reflection’s tail.

It suddenly extinguishes with a poof, and now, all he can see is himself, a normal looking boy in black, with short red hair, looking forlorn.

1052 words

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:17 am
Part III: Burning Dreams

He has been thinking.

Ever since all those dreams, those hallucinations, whatever they might be. He has been thinking about what they said. The dragon in the white room, and the phoenix in the mirror.

He is different.

He doesn’t argue with her anymore, and only passes dry sarcastic comments, not bothering to launch into a quarrel.

Maybe they’re right.

Maybe he is changing. Maturing, even. Growing older has these effects, he supposes.

He stares at his palm and flexes his fingers. He has been having fleeting dreams about them. The two of them, the fire, the blaze. It comes in snippets, it is fuzzy, but he knows.

He is no longer afraid of the fire.

Why was he even scared of it in the first place?

It was strange really. He gave up only because of a bit of pain, a bit of flashbacks that might not have necessarily been true. Even if it was, he was no longer vulnerable to fire. He would not ever feel that burn, that shock again.

It is a part of them. It is a part of him. It is who he is.

I don’t care what I wanted to be, or who I was, how I was. It doesn’t matter. All that matters is now.

Though, admittedly, he would like to know more, about them, about him, about his visions, hallucinations, whatever they might be. It was just sheer curiosity.

I suppose everyone wants to know if they have hidden memories.

However, curiosity killed the cat, so they say. He laughs and strokes the small animal beside his pillow. But it won’t kill me.

I won’t be burnt so easily.

I won’t give up without a fight.

The door opens and he starts, and then relaxes as he notices the figure at the doorway. “Oh. You.”

It’s her. What is she doing up so late, he wants to ask, but he is doing the same as well. He keeps the question to himself.

“Are you alright?”

It’s funny to receive concern from someone that he bickered with back then. Things are kind of awkward between them, but better. The house is quieter, and much more peaceful. Everyone is happier. It’s just so...strange. Their quarrels always seemed like something mandatory. It’s like it fueled his power.

Maybe that was why he stopped using it.

Anger and fire. It did make some sense.

He meets her eyes hesitantly. “I’m...okay. Just dandy.”

“Are you sure?” She pauses, and there is silence between them. Her lips part and she speaks again. “I’ve passed by your room these few nights...and sensed, well kind of saw something.”

He says nothing, only looking at her, no form of expression on his face. “What?” He knows she can see thoughts, but dreams as well?

“The flames.” She says simply.

A while ago, he would have stiffened. But now that he has thought it through, he simply smiles and shrugs. “I’m fine now. I just had to figure out who I am.” It wasn’t easy, but he had finally come to this.

An eventual end to the pain.

“I didn’t mean to intrude.”

“It’s okay.”

Awkward silence.

“You are different now.” It is a statement, not a question. He merely lies back into his pillow and breathes.

“I know.” A simple and civil reply.

“It’s a bit unusual, really.” She laughs, tracing a pattern on his blankets absent-mindedly. Can’t she read his thoughts? Or is she being polite and mindful of him and not peering into them? She’s lately been practicing a lot.

“We can’t carry on arguing over trivial stuff anymore.”

“It’s a bit boring.” Now that she says it, he realizes it is true. His life has become so simple now; everything he does is a repeat of what he has done the day before. Wake up, wash up, eat, shower, laze about, go out, play with the kittens, meals, sleep...

It’s not the same as it was before.

The arguments got him fueled up and ready to greet each day, and made his fire blaze brightly. He had tried to create some, but they were usually flickering weakly. It was a start, he thought, to not being able to create any at all, but now he realized the problem.

“I guess.” He smirks. It seems to be a long while since he has done that; his face had usually been downcast. Her face splits into a grin and she winks.

“Well, I won’t hold back tomorrow, fire boy.”

“Same here, crazy woman.”

There is a silent mutual agreement between them not to take it as far as to get into brawls anymore, nor let it escalate into a heated spat. It is just purely fun, the enmity between them is gone. (His sister will be glad to know.) All that is left is to let things go back to normal, and be who he was.

Something seems to have rekindled within him and after she leaves and closes the door, bidding him a good night and “fire-free dreams”, he stands up and brings his hands up.

Just a little concentration and flames, hovering over each palm burst into existence, burning bright and true and he grins, the first in ages. He feels like himself again...well almost. There’s something missing.

Concentrating, his wings and tail appear, uncloaked by invisibility and the end of his tail flames. The fire now gives him warmth, joy, delight, and not the fear that was once instilled in him. I’m fine now, I’m alright .I’m back.

Fire.

Such a beautiful yet dangerous thing.

He now knows better to use it on whim. Now, he felt closer to it, closer than he has ever been. It is a gift, a power, a responsibility.

Breathing a sigh of content, he flops back into his bed and snuggles into the comfort of the sheets.

And that night, he was not plagued with flaming dreams.

He slept peacefully.

990 words

Melodine Cantus

Melodious Star

15,425 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Caroling Champ 100

Melodine Cantus

Melodious Star

15,425 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0