Reply Fantasy Books Guild
The Twelve Dancing Princesses aka The Worn Out Dancing Shoes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:42 pm
This fairy tale is another obsession of mine, but I've not been as fortunate with it as I have with Tam Lin. The only real retelling I've found so far has been Mckinley's. Oh, and Jeanette Winterson's profoundly strange Sexing the Cherry which is very surreal and postmodern.

So, does anyone else know of retellings? I mean besides the little illustrated kids books. I like those, sometimes, because the illustrations are grand, but they aren't really remaking the story.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:52 am
Oh jeez, I have read some good renditions of this tale, but they're just out of reach in my mind. Doh! ::smacks forehead::

I think all my encounters with the story have been short stories or picture books as well. It would be interesting if there were a novelization. I'd definitely read it.  

tecche

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:03 pm
The only one I've seen was Robn McKinley's. I don't think it's a very popular fairy tale. People much prefer Snow White and Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel. The well-known ones. I entirely forgot about The Worn Out Dancing Shoes until I read Robin McKinley's version of it, in late 2004. Then again, I don't remember half the fairy tales I've read.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:36 pm
I love the Twelve Dancing Princesses. It is one of my favorite fairy tales. I an currently reading Never After. That has references to a whole bunch of fairy tales. Mercedes Lackey writes fairy tale retellings like Gates of Sleep, The Serpent Shadow, and Fairy Godmother, and Phoenix and Ashes.  

Lady_Altheia

CrownPrincessLaya

Heart Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 pm
heart i love that book!  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:38 pm
I'll definately have to check into those. That fairie tale was one of my favorites when I was little and still is to be truthful. I've heard that the Robin Mckinley version was good, but I haven't had a chance to read it myself.  

doodlebuggey88

Unwanted_and_Unloved

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:10 am
I've only read one retelling of it. It's called *The night dance* but I can't for the life of me remember the autors name. *bashes head against keyboard* ;oaajnoaarjnkrjkaj'pog nope, still can't remember.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:11 am
There's a series of about nine books called 'The Once Upon a Time' series. They're not very big but each retells a different fairy tale, and I'm pretty sure the Twelve Dancing Princesses is one of them. Just check for the books on amazon, you should be able to find it no problem.  

Tarantellatears

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 pm
Thanks! Now I have 2 new leads to follow smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:57 am
there's a take-off on that- can't remember the title but!- it's about these twelve boys who go out dancing every day and come back with worn out sneakers. and finally this magical nanny comes and tracks them. so she finds out that they go out to this jazz hall and then she has to leave or something...i dunno. i just know that there were twleve boys who went out dancing and hey'd come come with worn out sneakers.  

arugala

Espeonies132

Friendly Regular

5,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hmm, I haven't heard of this story before. But I am totally interested in reading this in the internet. And the title's very interesting. I like the Twelve Dancing Princesses, it is so Barbie-like title.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 pm

Okay so I have read the story. It was really fun and so good. The soldier was so wise and I am wondering, how can there be a castle underground?

Espeonies132

Friendly Regular

5,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100

Persephone in Hell

Shy Browser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:59 pm
I'm afraid I've only read McKinley's Deerskin. Loved it, but it was so sad.

I'm partial to Tanith Lee's retellings, such as White as Snow, which is fairly bleak, though with a somewhat happy ending.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:59 pm
Jim Hines Princess Novels (The Stepsister Scheme, The Mermaid's Madness, Red Hood's Revenge, & The Snow Queen's Shadow) are pretty good.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Fantasy Books Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces