Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Handspun Yarn... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you tried this?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:52 pm
woodydachs
Oh, you can spin cotton too if you're allergic to wool but it's a bit harder. Actually, you can spin pretty much anything if it's the right length. One of my friends spun her cat's hair.

I suppose it is an acquired skill... but I love it and apparently have natural talent (not trying to brag).

There's always supported spindles.

my dog sheds so much...I get I could make 3 scarf's...maybe I should look into that. xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:20 am
Peppermint Elf
I also got a drop spindle, but I can't seem to keep it spinning. The rare times I can keep it spinning, it makes extremely thick/thin/thick/thin yarn. The times I can't, it makes even yarn... but it drops on floor when it starts "unspinning". gonk

Have you tried the park-and-draft method? I know this works with top whorl easily, might take some adapting for bottom-whorl, but what you do is sit down, draft some fiber and set your spindle going, then when all of the drafted fiber is spun (actually a little overspun is okay), let the bottom of the spindle go between your knees and hold it there with your legs (park it smile ). While that's stationary, go and draft a little more and let the excess twist spin that section, and wind on as needed. I've heard this is the easiest method, and it's certainly what worked for me starting off, but I've only been spinning for about half a year now, and have barely touched woolen-spun (as opposed to worsted-spun) fibers. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line any time.  

Zahra Ovaci

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:56 pm
Zahra Ovaci
Have you tried the park-and-draft method? I know this works with top whorl easily, might take some adapting for bottom-whorl, but what you do is sit down, draft some fiber and set your spindle going, then when all of the drafted fiber is spun (actually a little overspun is okay), let the bottom of the spindle go between your knees and hold it there with your legs (park it smile ). While that's stationary, go and draft a little more and let the excess twist spin that section, and wind on as needed. I've heard this is the easiest method, and it's certainly what worked for me starting off, but I've only been spinning for about half a year now, and have barely touched woolen-spun (as opposed to worsted-spun) fibers. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line any time.
I will definitely try that one! I'm just... kinda fustrated because it unwinds so quickly and my spindle goes plop on the floor.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:42 am
ive never tried it beu i know where u could learn the baisics. try watching 'knitty gritty' on channel 111 (diy) and there are a couple of episodes about spinning. it even shows how to make your own drop spindle!i havent made one but it looked prety easy..... biggrin  

HK123

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces