Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Typography

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:09 am

Ithaya

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:13 pm
I would never use a B for the "ss" symbol in German. That's just stupid.

I think bands that use unnecessary accent symbols in their names are idiots.

What's the difference between a dash and a hyphen?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:53 am
Shinobi 1977

In appearance, a dash is longer (double the size, I think).
In use, hyphens are simply for between words (such as semi-colon) or sometimes just to show something's a prefix (homo- or bi-sexual).
Dashes are used sort of like semi-colons, I suppose...
I'm not the best person to ask about where to place semi-colons and dashes, unfortunately. For one thing, I'm not brilliant myself, for another, I'm even worse at explaining their use.

But I'm guessing you probably just meant appearance-wise, right?

Oh, and on the net, -- (double hyphen) is used for a dash ('cause cntrl+num pad - doesn't work).

Ithaya

Kohy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:18 pm
I don't think I was ever quite aware of the difference between the dash and the hyphen other than the fact that I was able to use both.

But as for putting a dash, I'd use a normal hyphen with a space after it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:23 am
I first learnt it from Eats, Shoots & Leaves. Along with many other punctuation marks and their uses (mainly just the dash and semi-colon). Then I took to the internet for confirmation. I like to know what I'm talking about before I try to correct others (I edit).  

Ithaya

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:11 am
Ikonik Angel
What does annoy me is when people use @ for 'at' and + for 'and'. They even do it when writing on paper!
I can handle ampersands (&), but the plus sign is just plain annoying. It doesn't mean and! It means add, or plus.

Many people that I know use "+" for "and", including some teachers. I don't mind it that much, but I tend to write "and" in my own notes instead of the "+". I don't like to use ampersands. They're not that easy to draw. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:56 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
Ikonik Angel
What does annoy me is when people use @ for 'at' and + for 'and'. They even do it when writing on paper!
I can handle ampersands (&), but the plus sign is just plain annoying. It doesn't mean and! It means add, or plus.

Many people that I know use "+" for "and", including some teachers. I don't mind it that much, but I tend to write "and" in my own notes instead of the "+". I don't like to use ampersands. They're not that easy to draw. sweatdrop

Yep, my teachers use that all the time. Which is why it annoys me.
I use ampersands in classes where I just write quick notes, such as Humanities. I taught myself to draw them a few years back. They're really quite easy.

Ithaya

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:46 am
That's interesting. I just spell the words you mentioned as one long word: semicolon, bisexual, etc. Is this wrong?

So for a dash, I'd want to use two hyphens, correct? -- Like that...  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:49 pm
Shinobi 1977
That's interesting. I just spell the words you mentioned as one long word: semicolon, bisexual, etc. Is this wrong?

So for a dash, I'd want to use two hyphens, correct? -- Like that...

Semi-colon I have never been able to firgure out. I prefer it with a hyphen, but I'm quite sure semicolon or even semi colon are equally correct. There are some words which need a hyphen though.
If I owned Eats, Shoots & Leaves, I'd get you an example of its importance, but I don't have a copy so I can't.
Bisexual, homosexual, asexual, etc. are single words, yes. I used the hyphen to show it was a prefix, as I was saying bisexual or homosexual, yet I shortened it to bi- or homo- sexual.

Double hyphen is a dash, yes (--).

Ithaya

Eviesee645

Hitched Sex Symbol

20,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 6:05 pm
Shinobi 1977

I've never actually seen a B replace an esszet in german, but what gets me is when people just straight leave out umlauts, the correct thing to do if you can't type them is to put an e after the vowel.  
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:10 am

Ithaya

KiraLight

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 am
If I have to write quickly when taking notes I don't even bother puting "and" in my sentences
I just separate them all with commas 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:09 pm
I use the "+" usually only when I'm taking notes. Otherwise, unless I'm stressed for time (which is why I use the "+" in noting), I don't use it for writing.
I never even knew what to call those things. "Umlaut"? Wow...
And I don't think I even HAVE a number key on this laptop. >_>  

chrystalclear

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:41 pm
Wow, I'm probably guilty of not knowing the correct usage of the dash and the hyphen. eek Oh well. You can make a dash on Microsoft Word by typing a "word" "space" "hyphen" "space" "word". The program automatically streches the hyphen into a dash, so you don't have to put two hyphens.

And hyphen looks weird when you think about it. The two h's. Wow.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games