Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Which one is correct? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which one?
  Dreamed
  Dreamt
View Results

Kohy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:00 am
Lou101
Thats a good site. I didn't know it was banque instead of bank.

...I didn't know that either...I didn't think the english still did it, but as for 'cheque', I was amazed to know American's spelt it 'check'. Doesn't it get confusing with the other 'check'?  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:50 am
About sulphur vs. sulfur: "sulfur" is the IUPAC way, and the IUPAC decides all the naming conventions in chemistry. I used to go to a British school and they accepted both "sulfur" and "sulphur", although "aluminium" always had the second I. I guess the science department just didn't care about spelling. In the same school we had an art teacher who kept reminding everyone that "colour" has a U in it, and also a drama teacher who hates it when people write "theater" instead of "theatre".  

The MoUsY spell-checker

beliael

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:05 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
About sulphur vs. sulfur: "sulfur" is the IUPAC way, and the IUPAC decides all the naming conventions in chemistry. I used to go to a British school and they accepted both "sulfur" and "sulphur", although "aluminium" always had the second I. I guess the science department just didn't care about spelling. In the same school we had an art teacher who kept reminding everyone that "colour" has a U in it, and also a drama teacher who hates it when people write "theater" instead of "theatre".

And "center" with "centre"! It's terrible, MSWord keeps automatically correcting "centre" into "centre" whenever I type it up. >_< That also apply to most "-ise" words into "-ize" and "-our" into "-or". stressed  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 pm
beliael
It's terrible, MSWord keeps automatically correcting "centre" into "centre" whenever I type it up. >_< That also apply to most "-ise" words into "-ize" and "-our" into "-or". stressed

Did you change the dictionary to English (Australia)? I did that and it works. Make sure you have it as default so you don't have to change it every time.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

beliael

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:03 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
beliael
It's terrible, MSWord keeps automatically correcting "centre" into "centre" whenever I type it up. >_< That also apply to most "-ise" words into "-ize" and "-our" into "-or". stressed

Did you change the dictionary to English (Australia)? I did that and it works. Make sure you have it as default so you don't have to change it every time.

I did, a few times actually, in the options menu. However it keeps reverting to American, and though it's possible to right click a "wrong" word to rmake MSWord see it as correct with the Australian dictionary, it's a pain. I end up just right clicking "wrong" words and just select them as "add to dictionary".  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:02 pm
My struggle is that I am American and live here in the US... however I write to several British friends and read older English literature pretty often. So my spelling tends to flop back and forth between the two. It's as if my brain invents rules.

I pay my rent with a check...
but traveling use traveler's cheques.

I go to a movie at the dollar theater...
but my dramatic brother and sister are involved in theatre.

And then there is Notre Dame... I call the actual cathedral "No-truh Dom"
and the college/football team "Note-er Day-m."

mrgreen  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:20 am
ah, the old british spelling/american spelling issue. a girl in my creative writing class during freshman year had just spend four years in england, and our teacher kept deducting points from her assignments for using british spelling.

something i constantly wonder about: grey/gray. who uses which?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:10 pm
Its amazing what one can learn, all this stuff is pretty cool. As for grey/gray I usually use grey, I used to use gray but everyone in my class made fun of me for "spelling" it wrong.  

Litia_Echo

Pythian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:38 pm
I'm Amreican, and I use "gray". I like the way it looks better than "grey". As to correcting people for using British/American spellings...why? I like being able to tell who's from where. I think the difference is cool. My only problem is editing my British friend's stories. My program is American, so it fixes his "mistakes". sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:29 am
Pythian
I'm Amreican, and I use "gray". I like the way it looks better than "grey". As to correcting people for using British/American spellings...why? I like being able to tell who's from where. I think the difference is cool. My only problem is editing my British friend's stories. My program is American, so it fixes his "mistakes". sweatdrop

Wheras I'm also American, but I prefer 'grey.' I'm still not sure which is American and which is British.  

Sola Catella

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces