Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -
The Fun of Biology Class Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think about disecting animals?
  Oh God, it's horrible!
  Choppy-Chop Chop!
  I've never been in the situation so I don't know
  Set them free!
  . . . (still in shock of the thought about disecting pregnant cats)
View Results

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:12 pm
WebenBanu

Wow, what did your friend draw?

Just a rose... A very small one... stare

Edit:
The teacher (my spanish teacher) tried desperately to find things to pull on me... She clamed I was disrespecting my body and it was a predesesor to mutilation... stare question

Wonder what she'd have to say now that I have eight piercings and four tatts. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:57 pm
So drawing a rose on your arm leads to mutilation, but disemboweling live frogs without anesthetic is fine. The logic, it's flawless! gonk

Shimegamis_Rage
Wonder what she'd have to say now that I have eight piercings and four tatts. xd

You should send her a photo- nude, if possible. That'll teach her to respect the body.^_~  

WebenBanu

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:25 pm
WebenBanu
So drawing a rose on your arm leads to mutilation, but disemboweling live frogs without anesthetic is fine. The logic, it's flawless! gonk

Shimegamis_Rage

You should send her a photo- nude, if possible. That'll teach her to respect the body.^_~

.... Now why didnt I think of that... I do have some professionally done photos... And I can easily find her current email address...

You do realize if the cops show up on my door I'm blaiming this idea on you. hehe xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:04 pm
Shimegamis_Rage
You do realize if the cops show up on my door I'm blaming this idea on you. hehe xd

I'll deny all knowledge. ninja *grins* j/k But seriously, I meant it as a joke- didn't think you might actually do it, lol! ^_~ Knowing her type, though, she'd probably just take it as confirmation that she was right and come down even harder on the next poor kid who had something drawn on her hand.

Now, if you were to post pictures of your tatts here, on the other hand, I'm sure that we could appreciate them.^_^ In fact, I think there was a thread around here somewhere for tattoo art... *goes to look*

edit: Found it!  

WebenBanu

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:23 pm
Posted them. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:48 am
ringwraith10
Nihilistic Seraph
Rather inhumane. There are computer programs that can display anything just as detailed without having to destroy the frogs. I was lucky in that my bio teacher didn't believe in the disections either, so we were spared from frog bodies and cows eyes.
Sadly, the school systems are so sadistic that they choose to ignore the better options, saying that real disection is the only way anyone can learn.

Wanting someone to dissect a frog is one of the least sadistic things in the school system.  

Harvested Sorrow

Esteloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:57 pm
I have nothing against dissections, so long as there is respect for the animal. A computer program alternative would be good, but I think the whole point is that they want to expose the students to actual dissection so that they get an idea of the three-dimensional organs and how the systems all function in one organism. However, it is unfortunate that many students can't appreciate the beautiful complexity of that harmony... Hmmm, if someone could design one of those holodecks from Star Trek all the problems would be solved.

Although, there is a couple of things I do not understand. Why must the animal be alive when dissecting? Why must the heart be beating? What is it that you are studying?

(Random: On the other hand, I have a big problem with some of the animal testings though. Why is it that some companies must test their cosmetics on animals?! *sigh*)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:30 pm
I'm pretty sure testing cosmetics on animals is now a big no no. Or atleast the one test where they put eyeshadow in rabbits eye's is.

I am a medical major in college. Mind you a massage therapy major. So I have had choices, I got to pick between the anatomny with disection and the anatomny without (I choose the without). And in highschool I took the first half of anatomny and dropped out before the second to avoid disecting animals.

I don't understand the point of using living animals, dead work well enough...I guess (any form of disection is icky to me so don't wanna have anything to do with it. Especially since I have necrophobia). I mean the cows eyes and sheep brain are okay, because the rest of the creature probably did not go to waste...but I can't see taking a frog, that is still alive and using him for some sick school project.

Sadly patitions and everything else just don't work. And some schools penilize you for NOT participating.

On another note, in one of my year books there is a picture of a teacher taking one of the dead cats the class used out of the box and showing it to the camra. The cat was still with his paws sticking foreward and it's mouth and eyes wide open.

Whats worse of all is the teachers allow the students to keep peices of these animals. One of the kids in my psyc. class brought in the head fur of one of the cats, with the ears, and threw it at me...I screamed like a little girl and hid behind my friends. Then commenced to b***h them out for an hour about how that was disgusting and if they ever did that again, they would be on a slab getting their own dissections...

MysticalBlueRse

FaeofAvalon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:06 pm
I don't mind it to bad if they are dead, but I WILL NOT cut open anything alive. The teacher should have giving you an optional assignment.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:30 am
i dont know but i think most teachers if you are really against it would give you an alternative assignment. i know mine allowed it but i was the only one of my friends who would cut own the worm lol  

Ezinu

Unbeatable Hoarder

4,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Member 100
  • Trader 100

Agent_Starling

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:41 pm

I am very strongly for animal rights.
I find dissection to be completely inhumane.
I feel that if it is for research and can benefit
us in some way it is alright, I suppose.
I find it useless for classroom purposes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:23 pm
Agent_Starling

Benefit us? I think having student learn more about biology and anatomy would be a benefit.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Esteloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:39 pm
Agent_Starling

Useless for classroom purposes?... The greatest researchers had to start somewhere. You show an artist how to paint with an actual canvas, you train a musician with instruments, you introduce a biologist to his craft with actual material. Classroom dissections open a doorway to explore the complexities of life. It creates a new appreciation just knowing what you are dissecting was once alive, that those systems once functioned to maintain that life. It would be a very scary world if our doctors had any hands on experience on any life form before getting into the operating room with his/her patient.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:53 pm
Hehehe....

*doctor walks into the OR*

"Right, now the textbook said the liver would be somewhere around here...."  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers