Does Music Influence People Religiously
  Yes
  No
  I don't know
View Results

Harvested Sorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:36 pm

Siofra Da`Halbria
I sometimes wonder how he can listen to that and still be a Christian. But I guess other people wonder why a Pagan is singing about Jesus. It's just kind of weird how a person's music can really have nothing to do with who they are. So I guess even a person's playlist can't tell you what kind of person they are, otherwise you might think I was a Christian and my boyfriend was a Satanist.

Many people view music as "just entertainment" rather than as an artform and therefore not anything serious or life defining so they have no issues with listening to something that goes completely against their beliefs.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:36 am

I've found the genre of music I'm listening more to has been progressive metal, which ends up focussing more on the instrumentality than the lyrics. Dream Theater is a great band.

Then I'll go and listen to early goth with Bauhaus, so I still have odd tastes >.<

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Suzuroi
xd Engrish can be so funny...What series do you (mostly) listen to? I listen to so many it's impossible to count....Naruto, Bleach, Cyborg009 (love that ending theme--it's almost ten minutes!), .hack//sign, Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist, Chobits, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter (by same author of Yu Yu Hakusho), Rozen Maiden (love Ali Project songs)....Argh, there's much more, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Outside of anime I listen to some Gackt, used to listen to Ayumi Hamasaki, Kingdom Hearts (Utada Hikaru--Simple and Clean both English and Japanese), Rurutia, Do As Infinity, and, uh....hm...Can't remember any more. I have more than 300 songs, most of them Japanese.

I can pick up some words and phrases too (I'm learning Japanese now), but not a lot, really. I just enjoy listening to the voices, and hearing how the phrases fit perfectly into the music. After doing that for years, I forget to pay attention to what the English songs say. xd

Let's see, the music that I'm listening to often follows along with whatever I'm watching at the moment, and by the time I've found a new track to play I've usually ridden the old ones so far into the ground that I'm really happy for anything new.^_^' Recently I have been watching- and loving- Bleach, and I have a couple of their songs on my playlist- "Life," by Yui, and the third ending theme for which I don't know the name. Uchuu no Stellvia's opening theme "Brilliant Road" is fantastic, and I've been looking for a couple of their closing themes- but again I don't know the names, and so far I haven't been fortunate enough to come across them.^_^' I like Scrapped Princess' theme "Little Wing," which is perhaps a bit sappy but I just can't help myself- it's just so cheerful. I love a lot of Initial D's music, even though I've never seen the series- it's got that techno/pop/dance beat to it. I also love Chobits, both the music and the series- I get the beginning of the original opening theme stuck in my head often, the part where the vocals first start with their "Yeah... yeah..."^_^' I used to play a lot of Rurouni Kenshin- especially "Heart of Sword"- but I overdid it, and now am pretty much sick of it.^_^' I still love .hack//SIGN's "Key of the Twilight," it reminds me of Sarah McLachlan's style.^_^ I also have quite a bit from Noir- the instrumental background music is good for unwinding on the way home from work, or pondering random things.^_~ I have the Sailor Moon theme from Germany, which is a riot. I have music from Fushigi Yuugi, my favorites are "Tokimeki no Doukasen" and Miaka's romantic theme. I like "Tooi Kono Machi de" from Card Captor Sakura.^_^ I have some Magic Knights Rayearth stuff too- I'm kind of spread out all over the place. My music program says that I have 858 songs, but a lot of it is random stuff which a friend of mine gave me- soundtracks for Final Fantasy and stuff like that. It looks like I regularly listen to under 100 of those tracks.^_^'

For J-pop I also love Gackt- he has such a sexy voice! Did you know that he used to have another band, Malice Mizer, which played a much darker kind of music than the current band? I like a lot of Hitomi Furuya's music (Ele pop and KISS are good tracks). I've heard some of Ayumi's songs before, and liked some of them, but just was never enthusiastic enough to look up her albums. I also like Chihiro Onitsuka for a slower, richer melody, particularly "Tiger in my love"- and she has one song which is entirely Engrish, it's hilarious. It's called "Not Your God" if you can find the mp3- it's not a happy song, but it's probably the only one you'll ever hear where the singer solemnly and soulfully declares that she is not Twinkle Princess. xd

I still pay attention to song lyrics whenever I have them, whether English or Japanese. In fact, I guess I've gone to the other extreme- I've become so accustomed to having subtitles when watching videos that I usually opt for them even when the movie I'm watching is an English one.^_^' I find them helpful for whispered or indistinct parts. But I'm wandering off the subject of music...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:28 pm

WebenBanu
Suzuroi
xd Engrish can be so funny...What series do you (mostly) listen to? I listen to so many it's impossible to count....Naruto, Bleach, Cyborg009 (love that ending theme--it's almost ten minutes!), .hack//sign, Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist, Chobits, Yu Yu Hakusho, Hunter X Hunter (by same author of Yu Yu Hakusho), Rozen Maiden (love Ali Project songs)....Argh, there's much more, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Outside of anime I listen to some Gackt, used to listen to Ayumi Hamasaki, Kingdom Hearts (Utada Hikaru--Simple and Clean both English and Japanese), Rurutia, Do As Infinity, and, uh....hm...Can't remember any more. I have more than 300 songs, most of them Japanese.

I can pick up some words and phrases too (I'm learning Japanese now), but not a lot, really. I just enjoy listening to the voices, and hearing how the phrases fit perfectly into the music. After doing that for years, I forget to pay attention to what the English songs say. xd

Let's see, the music that I'm listening to often follows along with whatever I'm watching at the moment, and by the time I've found a new track to play I've usually ridden the old ones so far into the ground that I'm really happy for anything new.^_^' Recently I have been watching- and loving- Bleach, and I have a couple of their songs on my playlist- "Life," by Yui, and the third ending theme for which I don't know the name. Uchuu no Stellvia's opening theme "Brilliant Road" is fantastic, and I've been looking for a couple of their closing themes- but again I don't know the names, and so far I haven't been fortunate enough to come across them.^_^' I like Scrapped Princess' theme "Little Wing," which is perhaps a bit sappy but I just can't help myself- it's just so cheerful. I love a lot of Initial D's music, even though I've never seen the series- it's got that techno/pop/dance beat to it. I also love Chobits, both the music and the series- I get the beginning of the original opening theme stuck in my head often, the part where the vocals first start with their "Yeah... yeah..."^_^' I used to play a lot of Rurouni Kenshin- especially "Heart of Sword"- but I overdid it, and now am pretty much sick of it.^_^' I still love .hack//SIGN's "Key of the Twilight," it reminds me of Sarah McLachlan's style.^_^ I also have quite a bit from Noir- the instrumental background music is good for unwinding on the way home from work, or pondering random things.^_~ I have the Sailor Moon theme from Germany, which is a riot. I have music from Fushigi Yuugi, my favorites are "Tokimeki no Doukasen" and Miaka's romantic theme. I like "Tooi Kono Machi de" from Card Captor Sakura.^_^ I have some Magic Knights Rayearth stuff too- I'm kind of spread out all over the place. My music program says that I have 858 songs, but a lot of it is random stuff which a friend of mine gave me- soundtracks for Final Fantasy and stuff like that. It looks like I regularly listen to under 100 of those tracks.^_^'

For J-pop I also love Gackt- he has such a sexy voice! Did you know that he used to have another band, Malice Mizer, which played a much darker kind of music than the current band? I like a lot of Hitomi Furuya's music (Ele pop and KISS are good tracks). I've heard some of Ayumi's songs before, and liked some of them, but just was never enthusiastic enough to look up her albums. I also like Chihiro Onitsuka for a slower, richer melody, particularly "Tiger in my love"- and she has one song which is entirely Engrish, it's hilarious. It's called "Not Your God" if you can find the mp3- it's not a happy song, but it's probably the only one you'll ever hear where the singer solemnly and soulfully declares that she is not Twinkle Princess. xd

I still pay attention to song lyrics whenever I have them, whether English or Japanese. In fact, I guess I've gone to the other extreme- I've become so accustomed to having subtitles when watching videos that I usually opt for them even when the movie I'm watching is an English one.^_^' I find them helpful for whispered or indistinct parts. But I'm wandering off the subject of music...

Ah yes, Malice Mizer--that one disbanded, I think--their songs were all over the place in terms of genre; I listened to one that was really rock/heavy rock-ish (Beast of Blood), and found it wonderful, only to discover that some of their other songs were completely 'enlightening' in nature. A lot of times that band crossdressed in Victorian wear (which, over there, is called Goth Lolita, without the crossdressing part of course), and they didn't look half bad! Mana, in particular. When I first saw him, I thought, "There's a girl in Malice Mizer?" Ayumi Hamasaki...I listened to a lot of her songs once, but never really got interested in the singer herself. Eh.

I know exactly what you mean about subtitles. I do the same thing. I hate English dubs of many anime, as do many many others...But back to the topic of music! Music is a very enlightening thing (although not always in a holy way xd ), even spiritual, although I'm not even really all that religious. The dark music makes me think of dark rooms with candles, velvet roses and sheets on a bed...Think Japanese Goth Lolita and Anne Rice. Happy music makes me want to jump all over the place, even if I'd never be caught dead doing that in public. My love for singing really helps getting into the song, too. Music can really play a big part in religion, especially in Wicca where you do all sorts of rituals. Getting into the song can bring out all sorts of energy (usable for rituals? I dunno--not Wiccan myself, but I'm guessing).

Kuroyue

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Suzuroi
A lot of times that band crossdressed in Victorian wear (which, over there, is called Goth Lolita, without the crossdressing part of course), and they didn't look half bad! Mana, in particular. When I first saw him, I thought, "There's a girl in Malice Mizer?"

Really? That's so awesome- I'm going to have to go Google some images. I am totally not goth and could never pull it off as a style (clothing or music), but I enjoy the look and like to see it artfully done on other people.^_~ I've only seen pictures of Gackt all decked out in black with the giant black angel wings and the reeeeally long nails, and only a few of those have other band members in them. Actually, I've a lot of very nice images of him- but I think they're on the other computer, which isn't connected to the 'net, or I'd share them with you.^_^' I got most of them from this Gackt fangirl from Germany whom I randomly met over an mp3 exchange server- that was one of those, "how cool is this?!" moments, when I realized that I was chatting with someone halfway around the world on our mutual favorite Japanese pop singer.^_^ I even managed to use an online translater to "speak" in German a little bit.

Suzuroi
I know exactly what you mean about subtitles. I do the same thing. I hate English dubs of many anime, as do many many others...

Yeah. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a foreign language and a different cultural setting which makes it seem more natural for those anime characters to speak the way that they do when you keep the original voice actors, or if American voice actors really are just that sucky, but the dubs are usually painfully awful in my experience.

Suzuroi
But back to the topic of music! Music is a very enlightening thing (although not always in a holy way xd ), even spiritual, although I'm not even really all that religious. The dark music makes me think of dark rooms with candles, velvet roses and sheets on a bed...Think Japanese Goth Lolita and Anne Rice. Happy music makes me want to jump all over the place, even if I'd never be caught dead doing that in public. My love for singing really helps getting into the song, too. Music can really play a big part in religion, especially in Wicca where you do all sorts of rituals. Getting into the song can bring out all sorts of energy (usable for rituals? I dunno--not Wiccan myself, but I'm guessing).

I think it could be a useful ritual and devotional tool, absolutely! Hymns were one thing I really enjoyed in my old church days, and I still greatly enjoy singing as an expression of spirituality. As you mentioned, it can contain such an exquisite sense of joy that it makes even people like you and me want to jump around like crazy.^_^ That's a powerful emotion, and I bet that short simple or building song-chants could even be used to harness energy for magical projects. But I usually sing to entertain myself on the way home from work, in the car- I love to sing, and I really enjoy singing along with my anime music, but I never sing in public unless I am safely disguised among many other voices! So I usually only sing when I'm alone in the car- and I need more songs! Last February I went to a convention where I met up with some other people of my religion, and they actually taught me a couple of songs in a reconstruction of the Middle Egyptian language! It was so cool, I was humming those to myself for days.^_^
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:54 pm

Yes, do look up Malice Mizer. Mana is THE top idol of goth lolita wear--he's just that convincing as a girl, so google him in particular. You might like what you see... wink Heck, just google the topic of goth lolita in particular. Then there's all other sorts of lolita, like classic lolita, lolita, punk lolita, and this other style which uses "blood-stained" clothes... blaugh (Haha, sorry I have a bit of a fetish for this stuff). Darn, I keep getting off-topic. xp
Mmm....Hymns are very enjoyable. When real choruses/choirs sing it, it sounds completely divine. Heck, it sounds divine anyway! Some of the best melodies in all of the world (I'm guessing here) are religious. I think that religious songs in particular are easy to get into, because for me, those melodies are particularly pleasing to the ear.
Egyptian music? Wow, I wonder how that language sounds, especially in music! Well, it probably doesn't sound like that tune that comes up when you picture the great pyramid and the ancient Egyptians... sweatdrop

Kuroyue

MOD66

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:59 pm

i wouldn't know most of the stuf i listen to is loud or funny, it reflects me more then my religon
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff