Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Tips through songs

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:57 pm
Here are some tips..

When speaking.. Try not to say "Just between you and I"
"Just you and I" can work, but when "between" is there, it becomes "Just between you and me."

Remember this song:
'..just between you and me Baby, I know our love will be.. '

And try not to say, "I Wish I Were You."
Instead try saying this "I wish I was you."

Remeber this song:
'I Wish I Were an Oscar Myer Weiner."

Try not to say, "It must of been a nice..."
Try using "It must have been a nice..."

Remember this song:
"It must have been love"

Enjoy!  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:59 pm
Thanks for the tip. I hate it when I see "could of". Can't the idiots who write that even think? What the hell coud "could of" even possibly mean? *headdesk*  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:01 am
It's just could've or must've. You don't have to write out have all the time, 'cause that's not how it's said. In formal writing though, it's probably better.

That 'I wish I were in a dance class' one just sounds and looks rather wrong though...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:17 pm
I have to say, I never thought of some of these songs...then again, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics of some songs and connect it to my English lessons.

But for the 'between you and me', I learnt that in classes and was able to stuff it in my brain so that never seemed to be a big problem to me.

Great tip though. ^_^  

Kohy

Anthrax Envy

Aged Noob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 pm
You are my idol, now. o.o; Mmk. *LeGonk* What songs are those from? o.O  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:13 pm
Ikonik Angel
It's just could've or must've. You don't have to write out have all the time, 'cause that's not how it's said. In formal writing though, it's probably better.

That 'I wish I were in a dance class' one just sounds and looks rather wrong though...

Oh? Well, I'm not the best grammar girl. I'll change it to 'I wish I were you'. Does that sound better?

Remember: Just because it doesn't sound right, doesn't mean it's incorrect. The way we speak on a daily basis and the rules of grammar tend me be a lot different for 99% of the population.  

talkintree

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff