Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
learnt and spelt!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

talkintree

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:52 pm
Ever say to someone, "I spelt that wrong" or "I learnt that in school"?
If not, congratulations!

I used to fine myself saying that all the time.
Anyone else mess up words like this?  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 4:45 am
Okay, I admit. I'm a little confused on what is wrong here...

If you mean pronunciation and spelling of these words, then you're kind of wrong.

I'm English and that's how you spell the past tense of verse such as learn, spell, and dream.

So:

learn - learnt
spell - spelt
dream - dreamt

But I believe Americans spell this differently where 'learn' is 'learned' and follows this style...

If that isn't what you meant, then sorry but I think I got confused along the way XD  

Kohy

ZigguratII

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:09 am
It's not completely wrong, more of a dialect than incorrect. As stated before there's some small differences between English english and American english. This is one of them. I believe burn(t/ed) is another as well.  
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:39 pm
I use the American way of saying those words, but I must admit the British way seems classier to me. Who knows? I might just switch! ^_^x  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Ithaya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:16 am
Yami no Hitokiri
I use the American way of saying those words, but I must admit the British way seems classier to me. Who knows? I might just switch! ^_^x

I prefer English spelling. Even if I lived in America (which I never will), I would use English spelling.
The American-English language annoys me...What the hell is with faucets anyway? Tap...T-a-p. Tap sounds simpler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:33 am
Ikonik Angel
Yami no Hitokiri

I prefer English spelling. Even if I lived in America (which I never will), I would use English spelling.
The American-English language annoys me...What the hell is with faucets anyway? Tap...T-a-p. Tap sounds simpler.

But faucet has a mildly Frenchy sound!

We use tap here occasionally ('tap water' is common), too.  

Sola Catella

Kohy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:11 pm
I didn't know people went about saying faucets. XD Almost sounds like a lot to say when compared to tap.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:22 pm
Sola Catella
Ikonik Angel
Yami no Hitokiri

But faucet has a mildly Frenchy sound!

We use tap here occasionally ('tap water' is common), too.

Are there a lot of French people from 'down under'? razz I notice you arwe from Oz. I live in Canada and live in a French community and I don't hear the French saying faucet much.

But I wonder...if you say faucet, then would you say faucet water or tap water?  

talkintree

Ithaya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:11 pm
Faucet? French? Hmm...

I suppose I shouldn't complain really, I'm an avid linguistics fanatic. Different ways of communicating your thoughts...

But I swear! Actually, I won't swear. I don't want to offend the Americans. But what's wrong with the letter u? And what's so great about z? And zee sounds funny (although I'm guilty of saying that sometimes Y_Y). And sweets are so much better than candy.

But cookies are good (though biscuits are equally good) and movies are good too (though so are films). And I mildly prefer the word 'elavator' to the word 'lift', despite the three extra sylables. Must say lift, damnit, I'm in England! It does have a decidedly more English feel...

Oh good Lord...I keep forgetting which guild I'm in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:33 pm
In Australia we follow British spelling too, so it's learnt, dreamt, and spelt for us.

However, legally speaking, reference to friends and judges are referred to as "learned friends" or "learned associated". I think in that context it has a slightly different meaning to mean someone who is educated.  

beliael

talkintree

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:31 pm
Ikonik Angel
Faucet? French? Hmm...

I suppose I shouldn't complain really, I'm an avid linguistics fanatic. Different ways of communicating your thoughts...

But I swear! Actually, I won't swear. I don't want to offend the Americans. But what's wrong with the letter u? And what's so great about z? And zee sounds funny (although I'm guilty of saying that sometimes Y_Y). And sweets are so much better than candy.

But cookies are good (though biscuits are equally good) and movies are good too (though so are films). And I mildly prefer the word 'elavator' to the word 'lift', despite the three extra sylables. Must say lift, damnit, I'm in England! It does have a decidedly more English feel...

i'm from Canada and it's interesting how we differ from eachother.
I say zee eventhough most Canadians probably say zed. actually..we usually say both, but zee goes with the song nicely (...qrstvuwxy and zee. now i know my abc's next time will you(won't you) sing along with me?)

cookies and biscuits are two differen't things. chocolate chip cookies and tea biscuits.

movies and films are too different things, but usually we go see a movie and watch a short film in class.

Elevator. never heard lift..!?!?!

Sweets and candy's are two different things. Sweets are brownies and homemade goodies and candy's are usually hard.

pop and hardly ever soda

chocolate bar and not candy bar because it's made of chocolate

favorite and color instead of favourite and colour are acceptable, because most of our books and software are American and sometimes I'm too lazy to add the u. u is fine though.

and about is pronounced "a-bow-t"(a bow as in a gesture, not a Christmas box) and not "a-boat", "ab-ow-t "(ow as in "ouch") or "aboot".  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:39 pm
I use a strange hybrid of American and British... ninja  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Kohy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:26 am
omahli
Ikonik Angel
Faucet? French? Hmm...

I say zee eventhough most Canadians probably say zed. actually..we usually say both, but zee goes with the song nicely (...qrstvuwxy and zee. now i know my abc's next time will you(won't you) sing along with me?)

cookies and biscuits are two differen't things. chocolate chip cookies and tea biscuits.

movies and films are too different things, but usually we go see a movie and watch a short film in class.

Sweets and candy's are two different things. Sweets are brownies and homemade goodies and candy's are usually hard.

pop and hardly ever soda

favorite and color instead of favourite and colour are acceptable, because most of our books and software are American and sometimes I'm too lazy to add the u. u is fine though.

and about is pronounced "a-bow-t"(a bow as in a gesture, not a Christmas box) and not "a-boat", "ab-ow-t "(ow as in "ouch") or "aboot".

I hate it when my cousins say 'pop' XD They tried to get me to say it all summer I was by them...but truly, 'pop' just does not sound right to me.

As for the sweets, I disagree...sweets can't possibly be brownies and the sorts! Sweets are sugar filled goodness (^_^) that are easily known as 'candy'. Personally, I say both, whatever pleases me at the time.

And you had me killing myself laughing over the pronunciations of 'about'....fortunately, I haven't had the pleasure to hear someone pronounce it in such terms.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:38 am
Canadians: Spell like the English, pronounce like the Americans.

We're just so gosh darn awesome, eh?

As for the spelt/learnt thing, I spell er.. it as spelt, and learned.

The English Language is so finicky. *wrinkles nose*  

JTequila

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:44 am
omahli
Ikonik Angel
Faucet? French? Hmm...

pop and hardly ever soda

Zed. That song is silly....I don't know why, I just don't like it.

Cookies are a type of biscuit. Though Americans call some biscuit biscuits cookies.

Films and movies are the same thing, though I've never heard of a 'short movie' (as in half an hour, as you would get a 'short film' in film class). And film can also be put in cameras, but movie can't. So I guess film has a broader meaning.

Yes, lift.

Sweets -- things like hard-boiled sweets and fruit pastels and poppets and things, and sometimes chocolate too.
But candy is little and hard and tastes powdery and is icky.

Pop. Definately. Except for 'American Cream Soda' (really yummy ^^), which is American, obviously. And things like baking soda aren't pop.

Always with a u...And sulphur always has a ph, despite what the text books say. stare (Anger directed to those who are trying to bring American spelling to England, not American spelling.)

And aluminium, not aluminum.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff