Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
n00b language can be understood... so why be a literate? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To be Literate you need to:
  spell and use grammar correctly.
  flame n00bs that irritate you.
  show off and grow a big head.
View Results

Chaotic Nitemare

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:47 am
I think the main reason why these shortcuts are being used is to be able to say what you want to say much more quickly. I don't do this, but I can understand why someone would want to put "g2g" instead of "I have to go." It's quicker. When it comes to roleplaying, however, I think that a person should be literate and type out everything. You get a better understanding of both the character, and what they're doing, where they are, etc.

I used to use shortcuts, but I found that with practice, I could be literate and type even faster than most of the people that use the shortcuts like "ttyl" or "b/c." Now that I'm used to it, it would be pointless to go back to, "hi lol wut^." For me, it just wouldn't feel right...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:12 pm
When reading the replys I reacted to the, as I understand it, different meaning of n00b and newb.

I'd say that we all were a newb once but not everyone have been a n00b.
Myself I sometimes us shortage of words, like lol etc. But I think that is mostly because those have recieved a different meaning then saying "laughing out loud". It has become a new word, though the meaning i somewhat similar to the previous written example.

Returning to n00b vs newb.
A newb is someone whom is new to something. Someone that isn't familiar to the game/site and therefore might make misstakes.
A n00b on the other hand tend to "attack" others or be mean without reason. many n00bs also tend to use txt talk and l33t. (Which, the last, I can not understand at all)

This is the view I have of newb and n00b.
I would appreciate if someone could correct my english, mostly by showing examples, thank you.  

Me-ninmra

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:56 pm
Honestly. it irks me the most, that out of all my friends, I'm the only truely literate one. And we're all in seriously high classes. And they're always using 'text talk' on me. And I hate it when people use text talk in a role-play when the rules say NOT to. WHY? PEOPLE, WHY?

P.S.- I mean friends at school, not you awsomely cool literate peoples whom I belong with.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff