Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Curli's oh-so-fun Craft Blog! (first project: PROM DRESS!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

curli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:17 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:22 am
Hi friends!

Welcome to my craft blog. I've wanted to do this for a while, but I've only just decided to launch it, reason being I'm the biggest procrastinator to walk the earth. But yeah! Summer's here so I figured the time was right. I'm going to get crafting, and I want to show off! I'll try to update it every week or so, or whenever I'm overcome with crafty inspiration. Some projects will take several updates, some will be quick and dirty and over with in just one post. Oh, the excitement. So comment and post! I'll love you forever if you do...

curli

curli

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:26 pm
Alright, sorry for the wait but I hadn't taken into consideration two things. First off, I'm a complete and total procrastinator. Secondly, I wanted my first project to be my prom dress, and that took longer than I had hoped. So yeah.

I didn't have a pattern, so I pretty much winged it. The see-through fabric is some pretty organza that I found, blue from one angle and red from the other. It also has icy blue embroidery on it, which matches the stretchy fabric that makes the bottom layer. I also braided long strips of the stretchy fabric to make the straps. As a final touch, I sewed an old bra into it for support.

First picture. The front of my dress and my date.
User Image

Second picture. The back of my dress and my weird expression.
User Image

Yay! Comments? Questions? I would be happy to answer anything!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:16 am
I love that! You winged it? I really need to learn to sew, but the machine intimidates me.  

~neko neko kitty~

curli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:01 am
It's true, the machine is pretty scary. But if you start with easier projects, like t-shirt surgery, you can slowly coax it into being your friend. And sooner or later, you realise just how awesome it is to have. So don't be scared! I'm sure you'd do fine.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:26 pm
Thankies. My friend wants me to make wrap pants for him, he provided the old ones to get a pattern from sweatdrop He's also the one who gave me the machine so I really need to get going on it. I've been really wanting to do shirt recons lately so that's probably what I'll do.  

~neko neko kitty~

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:37 pm
I HAVE to have patterns. You're lucky you did so well . . . I guess sweatdrop This is really an amazing dress though. Really original. Really pretty. Nice work~  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:55 am
That's excellent anyways, let alone making it without a pattern.
Great job! mrgreen  

Kaysicle

Blue-eyes-green

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:04 am
Your dress is truly amazing. I can modify patterns, but I have to have something to work from, so your really talented to have the dress come out so well. I want to compliment your entire outfit, it rocks!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:05 am
Yeah, your dress is beautimous heart

I bet it would look good with giant fairy wings too ! YOU SHOULD WEAR IT TO A CONVENTION !?! 4laugh

Im sure your date was very proud to have you on his arm heart  

_rio-san_

Holy Fundip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:07 am
That is a really cute dress, I can`t believe you winged it! i`m scared of the sewing machine. i really should befriend it though. i just don`t want to sew my finger! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:48 pm
Its pretty! not what i'd wear.. but its pretty. Personally, i tend to pick up three or four patterns and putthem together, but then i'm also normally working with doll cloths, and so its not expensive, as i get three or four in an envelope.
You sewed an old bra into it? Thats so clever... I want to try making a dress for somebody using her old bra... that'd be awesome!  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

NightRainSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:31 am
OMG! heart I really luv that prom dress!
and congrats on graduating! I wish my sewing skills were a little better for something like that, but who knows, maybe I can improve a bit more before my own prom. xd  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games