Poll Guild of DOOM liek totally doomy and stuff 

Tags: Poll, DOOM, Elephant, Guild, Silly 

Reply Literate Hell
Atheism vs Christianity Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

If you don't feel offended, what are you?
  Atheist
  Christian
  Hindu
  Buddhist
  Other....
View Results

priestess1.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:19 am
shirokitsune
priestess1.
Okay! Let me just get a few things straight!

Shirokitsune, don't think you know everything about Christianity, how exactly do you know the laws of the old testimony didn't die? Where's your proof for that? If it didn't die then why should the bible have two sections called "Old Testimony" and "New Testimony"? There'd be no point. Part of what testimony kinda means are laws.

So what would you call the rules that once were and the rules that are now? Yep, that's right, the rules that once were are now the "Old Rules" and the rules that are now are the "New Rules."

Here's a little further proof that the Laws of the Old Testimony have died, in the Old Testimony, it has said that if a woman takes in adultry, she should be stoned. In the New Testimony, it says that a group of people brought a woman who commited adultry and asked if they should stone her. Jesus responded by saying that the person who has not sinned shall be the first to throw to throw a stone on her. Everyone left. If the Laws of the Old Testimony didn't die, Jesus probably would have let everyone throw a stone at her, heck, he probably would have been jumpin' up and down going "Oh! Oh! Me! Me! Let me throw the stone first! Me! Me!" But then again, I think that would be going against one of his teachings..

o_o I never said I knew everything about Christianity. I seriously doubt even the most devout Christian or scholar can claim that amazing feat. I meant that SOME of the Old Testament laws have remained. Not all of them of course! If absolutely none of the laws of the OT were applicable to modern times, they would probably have cast the entire text from the canon years ago, as they did with most of the many Gnostic texts when it was decided they were somehow heretical.

Everyone knows that little story of Jesus and casting the first stone and so forth. But I have read plenty of historical texts that say that up until almost modern times certain people could be stoned to death, especially witches. What I am trying to say is that Christians think they can wipe clean the slate of their bloody history by saying that those are "old laws" and that they don't need to follow them anymore. Which is fine! I should hope they DON'T follow those old laws! At any rate, I'd like to know what random guy decided that God changed His mind about those old laws that He had so vehemently commanded to be obeyed in the OT.

xD It's like .. some priest came by and said .. "Oh! Waitasecond! Err.. I had this vision right? And God said - about all those old laws - well, NEVER MIND!" =DDDDD

it's like wtf? XD Anyway! That was not my main point.

But anyway. I'm of the opinion that humans are neither good or evil. I don't actually think those things exist. Of course there are good things and bad things - but nothing can be so black in white in the world, because there is nothing black or white in nature [I don't mean color here]. How can the world be evil when it was created by God, according to Christianity? You might say that Satan has made it so, but Satan exists [in Christianity at least] only under the rulership of God - i.e, if God didn't want Satan to exist, Satan would not exist and therefore make the world an evil place. Why would a merciful, loving God create a beautiful Earth, then decide that Satan is allowed to go around and tempt and destroy that beautiful world and send those tempted to an eternity of torment and horrific agony? That kind of God sounds more like a demon.

Well, first of all, it's believed that Satan use to be an angel that was very obiediant to God, I'm not sure if this is really true, I also heard somewhere that he use to be God's right hand man or something.. One day he turned into a moron and rebelled, some angels joined him. God got mad and to punish them, he kicked them out of heaven and were sent to earth..

This might be false, because it doesn't really say anything about where he came from in the bible, plus, I think God would have just sent him straight to hell... but then again, he could be giving Satan a chance to ask for forgiveness... >_>;; People have given evidence in the bible that Satan could have been an angel once though.. Here's a little example.. "I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven."

Anyway, the world became sinful, because, I'm sure you heard the story of Adam and Eve, Satan turned into a snake and tempted Eve into eating this fruit that God told her not to eat. When Eve ate the fruit, it caused them to gain knowledge they weren't suppose to know, the knowledge of good things and bad things. It also brought things like aging, illness, and death.

I think Satan caused God to become an angry God, which caused him to create those laws in the Old Testimony. God decided to release all his hatred and such, I guess, and let the Laws of the Old Testimony die by giving Jesus as sacrifice. (xP I'm taking most of the stuff TenSin said!) Jesus dying on the cross is suppose to forgive our sins or something.. Anyways, the laws of the Old Testimony is if you see a person sin, beat the heck out of them. The laws of the New Testimony is if a person sins, they must repent. What is considered a sin still remains, just how to handle a sinful person changed.

I'm not sure why God really let Satan exist, but maybe he's using Satan to test us and see if we're really faithful to him or something. Maybe he just got bored and decided to create a live action movie or something, it's possible! I dunno, I don't read the bible enough for that answer! Maybe I'll look it up..

>>; Now that I think of it, perhaps saying humans are evil is a bit too strong. surprised Saying that they're can just be very sinful is a bit better...

surprised Don't have to believe in anything I say! =3  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:10 am
priestess1.
Also, Taka didn't bring a good point. She answered half her questions! She was able to handle most of her problems herself, so God didn't really need to help her. I'm not sure about what's going with her Matt problem, but maybe Matt doesn't want a girl, I don't know what that situation is about, but God probably wouldn't grant it, because he gives everyone the freedom to do whatever they wants. Making Matt choose a girl doesn't really give him freedom. Also, there's this story told in church about this judge who wouldn't listen to anyone, so this widow came to him and told him her story and he wouldn't listen to her, but she didn't quit and eventually he finally gave in. So, when you pray to God, it might take him a while to listen. Also, I don't think your prayers are answered if you don't believe in God or you're not on God's side... Hmm, there was something else I wanted to say, but I forgot..

I was on "God's" side once, when I used to pray. My mother was a Christian and she taught my sis and me to pray ever since we were very little. So from the time I was, what, 5, until I was around 11 years old I prayed to your "God" and got absolutely no response. I'm not a patient person so I gave up after about age 11. Now, without "God's" help, I'm setting things right and righting the wrongs done to me because "God" wouldn't have any of it. That's about all I'm saying...in the nice, respectful version (because you're not shoving your religion down my throat or yelling at me...unlike other ppl...). Now I'm an Atheist and am going to stay an Atheist for as long as my soul exists.

Don't get me wrong--there are some things in Christianity that I agree with. I only have a problem with the Almighty God business, and with all the stress and things going on in my life, I have an issue of being uneccessarily fierce in my belief that there is no one Almighty Being. It could be that there's more than one being watching over us, like Fate and Death, much like the way the story Sandman explains. I don't really know for sure, but if there is going to be an Almighty Being, there might as well be more than one because only one Almighty Being can't possibly do all the work himself. However, at this point in time, I see no reason to believe in Almighty Beings except for Fate and Death. That's all.

Also, please don't make me explain the Matt business. I was only trying to make a half-point that I will have to continue doing things on my own without the help of "God" or any other religious icon. I just wish he WOULD choose a girl, but that's a whole other subject that has nothing to do with religion. There's just a lot of stress for me these days and I'm just having a lot of trouble dealing with it.  

Taka Seiyaryu

priestess1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:27 am
Taka Seiyaryu
priestess1.
Also, Taka didn't bring a good point. She answered half her questions! She was able to handle most of her problems herself, so God didn't really need to help her. I'm not sure about what's going with her Matt problem, but maybe Matt doesn't want a girl, I don't know what that situation is about, but God probably wouldn't grant it, because he gives everyone the freedom to do whatever they wants. Making Matt choose a girl doesn't really give him freedom. Also, there's this story told in church about this judge who wouldn't listen to anyone, so this widow came to him and told him her story and he wouldn't listen to her, but she didn't quit and eventually he finally gave in. So, when you pray to God, it might take him a while to listen. Also, I don't think your prayers are answered if you don't believe in God or you're not on God's side... Hmm, there was something else I wanted to say, but I forgot..

I was on "God's" side once, when I used to pray. My mother was a Christian and she taught my sis and me to pray ever since we were very little. So from the time I was, what, 5, until I was around 11 years old I prayed to your "God" and got absolutely no response. I'm not a patient person so I gave up after about age 11. Now, without "God's" help, I'm setting things right and righting the wrongs done to me because "God" wouldn't have any of it. That's about all I'm saying...in the nice, respectful version (because you're not shoving your religion down my throat or yelling at me...unlike other ppl...). Now I'm an Atheist and am going to stay an Atheist for as long as my soul exists.

Don't get me wrong--there are some things in Christianity that I agree with. I only have a problem with the Almighty God business, and with all the stress and things going on in my life, I have an issue of being uneccessarily fierce in my belief that there is no one Almighty Being. It could be that there's more than one being watching over us, like Fate and Death, much like the way the story Sandman explains. I don't really know for sure, but if there is going to be an Almighty Being, there might as well be more than one because only one Almighty Being can't possibly do all the work himself. However, at this point in time, I see no reason to believe in Almighty Beings except for Fate and Death. That's all.

Also, please don't make me explain the Matt business. I was only trying to make a half-point that I will have to continue doing things on my own without the help of "God" or any other religious icon. I just wish he WOULD choose a girl, but that's a whole other subject that has nothing to do with religion. There's just a lot of stress for me these days and I'm just having a lot of trouble dealing with it.

Well, also, I was gonna say this, but I forgot... sweatdrop They say God works in mysterious ways, so you might not see how God helps or you might not see that God gave you what you wanted. Here's an example, I saw this movie on ABC Family of this lady who got a divorce and bought a worn down house in Italy. The lady felt really lonely and wanted people for her to cook in her house, a wedding in her house, and she wanted to bring a family in her house, so she prayed to Mary, I think.. (Yes, I know it's not God, but it's the mother of Jesus!) The lady noticed she got her first wish granted, she cooked for the people that were fixing up her house, but she didn't think she got her other two wishes, but her friend pointed out to her that she was wrong. He showed that she did have a wedding in her house, because she threw a wedding for two teenager that she helped get their parents to agree to let them marry. He showed her that she also brought a family to her home by pointing out to her friend who came to visit from America (who came pregnant) gave birth to a beautiful baby and I guess was raising the baby in her home. The woman didn't get her wish as she expected it to be, but she still got it and she was content, even though it's not what she planned for. She also learned a lesson this way, to just keep moving on with her live, she had trouble moving on before after her divorce, she was just basically waiting for a man to come and sweep her off her feet.

surprised 'kay, that's all I have to say.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:43 pm
I have argued about religion in other forums biggrin . I liked doing it because it made me feel good to stand up for what I believe in. But the truth of the matter is no matter how long you argue with some people you will never win sweatdrop .

I am a christian biggrin (and proud of it). But I love learning about other religions too. In school we have just finished learning about Budha. Do any of you know about him? Well he was an interesting person. At birth, it was profesised that he would become either a great leader or a great spiritual leader. Well his parents the king and queen (he was a prince) didn't want him to live as a spiritual leader (Giving up his wealth and power for his beliefs). Well one day he was sent outside of the palace, were his parents kept him away from the world, and once outside of the walls he found people who were suffering and dying. That led him to a spiritual life in which he created a new spiritual religian Budhism. He did it hoping to help his people. He gave up a pleasure palace, wealth, his wife, and all his earthly posessions. Just hopping to find a place of peace. Well I believe that is how the story goes.
Well I thought that was really cool.

I am a christian and I firmly stick with my beliefs. But that does not mean I don't care about others. So anyone who reads this understand . Some people will despute your beliefs and argue with you until the end. They will tell you you will burn in hell if you don't believe in this or that.
Personally, I am a Christian I believe in God and I hope all of you one day find him. But for now don't worry about what others say. Learn about different religions and find one right for you. (Hopefully it will be christianity. But if its not, it's not.)
So what led me to right this was people arguing about this and that and I don't think many of you had good points. Though some did have great points. So anyway I am writing this as my own personal opinion and not a fact that needs to be argued on.
Bye biggrin biggrin 4laugh 4laugh biggrin biggrin

P.S. I agree that christianity and other religions have been the cause of alot of blood shed. The difference is christians are killed for there beliefs and if they do kill someone then they ask god to forgive them for there sins. Several other religions are the same asking there god or gods for forgiveness and dieing for there beliefs. But there are some who kill other religions because they hate them. Christians have blood on are hands from the past just like everyone else. But if we are going to do this right. Then every country who goes to war. Not only the people who start it but the people just in the country are responsible. You can't doom all christians for the faults of one or two christians from the past or the present. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God  

londonchick25

1,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Dressed Up 200

O p a v e

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:03 am
[[Ninja Sammich Saka]]
Well, I have been in many fights about religion now and want to knwo other points of view.

Many people don't believe in Jesus, and that is your lifestyle I suppose, but being a Christian, it just concerns me slightly. Many atheists have started to go on and on about how Jesus isn't coming back, that he never existed and so one, but I don't see how that is. There is more scientific evidence to show that Jesus did live than there is to prove that bacteria exist.

With the Davinci Code coming out, even more people's belifs are being swayed. Now, I haven't seen the movie myself, and not because I go to chruch, just because I'm broke, but I know what it's basically about. Many people think that it is based on facts, but it isn't. It's just a work of fiction by a very talented writer.

So why is everyone so concerned about the Rapture, even if they don't believe in it?

Sorry, I know that didn't flow, it's just a bunch of stuff in one post...

I'm an atheist, but I do believe Jesus Christ was real.

He actually existed. But he may or may not have been in the sense that the Bible made him.
--
Off-topic: What is 'scientology' anyways.

It sounds more like a science than a religion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:00 pm
there are many theists who aren't christian.

jews, for instance.

once a rabbi debated an atheist and silenced him by saying "if i am wrong, it is all right; i have lived a good life following our laws, and been a good person, i have lost nothing.
but if you are wrong, what have you lost?"  

chessiejo

londonchick25

1,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:31 pm
ToshimaX
[[Ninja Sammich Saka]]
Well, I have been in many fights about religion now and want to knwo other points of view.

Many people don't believe in Jesus, and that is your lifestyle I suppose, but being a Christian, it just concerns me slightly. Many atheists have started to go on and on about how Jesus isn't coming back, that he never existed and so one, but I don't see how that is. There is more scientific evidence to show that Jesus did live than there is to prove that bacteria exist.

With the Davinci Code coming out, even more people's belifs are being swayed. Now, I haven't seen the movie myself, and not because I go to chruch, just because I'm broke, but I know what it's basically about. Many people think that it is based on facts, but it isn't. It's just a work of fiction by a very talented writer.

So why is everyone so concerned about the Rapture, even if they don't believe in it?

Sorry, I know that didn't flow, it's just a bunch of stuff in one post...

I'm an atheist, but I do believe Jesus Christ was real.

He actually existed. But he may or may not have been in the sense that the Bible made him.
--
Off-topic: What is 'scientology' anyways.

It sounds more like a science than a religion.

Scientology: This is just something I found on the web. biggrin

The word Scientology literally means "the study of truth." It comes from the Latin word "scio" meaning "knowing in the fullest sense of the word" and the Greek word "logos" meaning "study of."

Scientology is the study and handling of the spirit in relationship to itself, others and all of life. The Scientology religion comprises a body of knowledge extending from certain fundamental truths. Prime among these:

Man is an immortal, spiritual being. His experience extends well beyond a single lifetime. His capabilities are unlimited, even if not presently realized — and those capabilities can be realized. He is able to not only solve his own problems, accomplish his goals and gain lasting happiness, but also achieve new, higher states of awareness and ability.

In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith. That which is true for you is what you have observed to be true. An individual discovers for himself that Scientology works by personally applying its principles and observing or experiencing results.

Through Scientology, people all over the world are achieving the long-sought goal of true spiritual release and freedom.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:33 pm
Die_Katze
Athiest. I think to many wars have been started over religion and none of the religions ever seem right or have loop holes to me.

I'm an Atheist and believe that Jesus did infact exist but he didn't have any "Powers" or anything. You know how when a rumour is started they tend to get bigger and bigger? I think that is what happened with Jesus. He was walking down the street one day and saw a guy that couldn't walk that well, so Jesus gave him a walking stick. Then the rumour got much bigger and became "LIEK OHMIGOSH THAT GUY WITH LONG HAIR AND SANDALS MADE SOME GUY WALK!"
User Image

[.Julie Booly.]

Heterosexual Fa gg ot

-xChaos Pandax-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 pm
hey this post is awesome coolio hoolio bump  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:04 pm
I guess athiest. Im soposed to be Catholic because my parents are but I don't want to be. I might go to some other religion when I get older tho. I see no point in worshiping god. We're all going to hell.  

territh^^

Jesm_mule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:41 am
I'm agnostic- I believe that there is a creator but not in religion per say. I wasn't offended by Di Vinci code. Slightly interesting view from fragmented histories. Not that great.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:50 am
For all of you who are upset because you prayed and feel like God didn't answer you, EVERYONE has felt that way before. Because as a Christian, you give up your life to God, and his plan for you is more important than what you want because like a good father, he knows whats best for you. So if you pray for something and don't get it, its all part of his plan and eventually he'll bring you the answers to your questions. There are things I've prayed about, and within hours they were answered, sometimes even seconds. And there are things I've been praying for for YEARS and YEARS and I'm still waiting! But you HAVE to be paitent because good things do come to those who wait. And I have total confidence that good things will come from all my paitence and strength.  

Angel of Music

Literate Hell

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces