Death of Pope Jean Paul II Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

blukattt
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:47 pm
I burned a candle while I was at work when I heard. He was a good man; I saw an interview with a kid that had hugged him as he was walking past a line of people, blessing them. The little kid reached out and gave him a big hug, and it almost looked like he was about to cry as he hugged the child back just as much. (In fact writing about it is starting my eyes to tear up. redface )

I just hope that his acts inspire the next pope to follow the same path.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:38 pm
I've been thinking for the past while now about how people become so much better than they really were in death, especially if people looked up to them. I know this might not be a popular line of thought, but could we just be giving this pope a lot more credit than he's due? I mean I might be wrong (and PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong), but didn't this guy help the ***** molesting priests find refuge before they could have justice brougth to them and even moved them to new churches where they probably started molesting a whole new bunch of kids?

Just things I've been thinking about lately. Again, if I'm wrong, let me know.  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:07 pm
Atma311
I've been thinking for the past while now about how people become so much better than they really were in death, especially if people looked up to them. I know this might not be a popular line of thought, but could we just be giving this pope a lot more credit than he's due? I mean I might be wrong (and PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong), but didn't this guy help the ***** molesting priests find refuge before they could have justice brougth to them and even moved them to new churches where they probably started molesting a whole new bunch of kids?

I don't believe that's the Pope's responsibility. He has much higher levels of affairs to deal with. Bear in mind that you have several ranks here: priest, monsignor (basically just an honor-title for a priest), bishop, archbishop, cardinal, and the Pope.

I believe the assignment of parishes is left in the hands of the bishops and archbishops. The Pope is not involved on that small of a scale. Remember that the Catholic Church is huge. It has significant amounts of bureaucracy.

I would not lay the molestation coverups at John Paul's feet. I think it is a significant issue for the US area of the Catholic Church (did we see any stories come out of other parts of the world? No!). The local leaders should be stepping up to shoulder responsibility, not the figurehead of the church at large, who is not involved on that level.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:31 pm
Jishin
Atma311

I don't believe that's the Pope's responsibility. He has much higher levels of affairs to deal with. Bear in mind that you have several ranks here: priest, monsignor (basically just an honor-title for a priest), bishop, archbishop, cardinal, and the Pope.

I believe the assignment of parishes is left in the hands of the bishops and archbishops. The Pope is not involved on that small of a scale. Remember that the Catholic Church is huge. It has significant amounts of bureaucracy.

I would not lay the molestation coverups at John Paul's feet. I think it is a significant issue for the US area of the Catholic Church (did we see any stories come out of other parts of the world? No!). The local leaders should be stepping up to shoulder responsibility, not the figurehead of the church at large, who is not involved on that level.

Hmm... good point, but did he even say anything about it at all? I mean I wouldn't call it insignificant by any means, you know?  

Atma311
Crew

4,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Jishin

Steadfast Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:09 am
Atma311
Hmm... good point, but did he even say anything about it at all? I mean I wouldn't call it insignificant by any means, you know?

Uncertain. I believe there was a statement made, as I did follow it somewhat at the time, but that was quite some time ago. I didn't follow it all that closely, since I'm not part of the Church any more. I couldn't tell you for certain what was said.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:46 am
Jishin
Atma311

Uncertain. I believe there was a statement made, as I did follow it somewhat at the time, but that was quite some time ago. I didn't follow it all that closely, since I'm not part of the Church any more. I couldn't tell you for certain what was said.
I do beleive it was confirmed that the Pope knew nothing about it; the cardinals/bishops(? I cannot remember if that's what their status was called) that were assigned to the areas where the molestors were priests knew, and where summoned to the Vatican. From my understanding, the Pope was very displeased with them. One commedian put it as he lined them up and then went down the line smacking them on the head.

Of course, every man has his faults. He was old-fashioned when it came to marriage and contraceptives, but that was not his main focus, which should be the key. The late John Paul II was focused on the "brothers of the world" coming and working together, which he was able to do significantly. I believe he was the first Pope to visit many various religious shrines held sacred to other doctrines. I do believe I have said before that groups of Jews and Muslims were cited as mourning his death.  

Jameta
Captain

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:09 am
He was a good man. He stuck to the doctrines of his faith, and did not budge, even when the world was going a different way. I admired, and still do his stamina, and his will to continue preaching his faith, even after his continuing health problems. He was the most travelled of all the popes, and will be sorely missed by many. I do not grieve at his death, because he had a full and prosperous life. I grieve rather at the disgusting media attention of his final hours. May he find peace.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:27 pm
Atma311

Jean Paul II made a public statement to denounce the actions of both the priests and the bishops who attempted to cover the scandals up; he stated that these were individual actions that did not reflect on the values of the church, and I'm quite certain that a few of the people involved were stripped of their offices within the church.  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Quadadiddle
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:51 pm
If they would've chosen Cardinal Secola to the Pope position, he wouldn't been (drumroll)

Pope Secola!!

which sounds like pepsi-cola if you didnt get it  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:35 am
Hermetic
If they would've chosen Cardinal Secola to the Pope position, he wouldn't been (drumroll)

Pope Secola!!

which sounds like pepsi-cola if you didnt get it

lol Very cute!  

The Bookwyrm
Crew

Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items